Text Speak

The place for all your general chat - Any MR2 related topics will be moved to the appropriate forum sections
notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Text Speak

Post by notroubleclubber » 19/05/17 15:10

Funny enough there is a "jimi" on imoc from Fife that has just used the text speak "IMHO"
Which is text speak from in my honest opinion.lol or should i say laugh out loud!

d-peg
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by d-peg » 19/05/17 15:38

Is this really necessary?

IMHO is an acronym
LOL is an acronym.
acronym
/ˈakrənɪm/
noun
an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).
m 8 ... is text speak.

U instead of 'you' is just plain lazy.

Text speak isn't even necessary anymore in any case - unless you're still rocking a Nokia 5210 that limits you to 160 chars (that's short for characters BTW (that's an acronym for 'by the way')), playing snake and drinking Two Dogs or Hooch. :th: ... But you wouldn't be using a 5210 to access here ... so ... ergo ... text speak is not necessary.

If you have an iphone and feeling REALLY lazy, you can always dictate what you want to post and you're phone will type it out impeccably. I use that a lot but sometimes Siri (that's the name of the listening lady-voice in my phone) has the habit of mis-hearing words so you have to proof read.

But you'll need to upgrade your trusty 5210 for that ... then they've got their hooks into you forever. Upgrades on upgrades on upgrades..

Laters :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: beware "private" MR2 seller in Bedford just off A421!

Post by gavsdavs » 19/05/17 23:33

gavsdavs wrote:
18/05/17 20:10
jimi wrote:
18/05/17 8:55
hough bare in mind some text speak is now in the oxford dictionary!
To be perfectly frank I don't give a "censored", it's still "text speak"
:rofl:
You do realise that admitting a sensitivity to text speak is going to get you innundated with annoying replies now.

text speak is naff - stop it..
Who edited my post then ? Please don't.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by jimi » 20/05/17 0:32

No one did ;) the forum software incorporates an automatic word censor. If you type certain words the forum will automatically change them once you submit the post. ie m+8 will get changed to mate. Most swear words will be replaced by "censored"
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by jimi » 20/05/17 5:03

notroubleclubber wrote:
19/05/17 15:10
Funny enough there is a "jimi" on imoc from Fife that has just used the text speak "IMHO"
Which is text speak from in my honest opinion.lol or should i say laugh out loud!
Nothing funny about it, I have the same username on all the MR2 forums I'm a member of (which is most of them) I don't hide who I am. I wouldn't like to hold my breath for your "just" that post was made 2 weeks ago !
Anyway as Dan eloquently put it IMHO is an internet acronym for "In My Humble Opinion" not text speak. I don't use text speak in the real world so why would I use it online, I feel if it's worth doing something, it's worth doing it properly.
Do you really think I'd be hypocritical enough to try and ensure compliance with a rule of this forum while ignoring the same rule on another forum ( incidentally, IMOC is also an acronym ;) )
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs » 20/05/17 9:12

gavsdavs wrote:
19/05/17 23:33
gavsdavs wrote:
jimi wrote:
18/05/17 8:55

To be perfectly frank I don't give a "censored", it's still "text speak"
You do realise that admitting a sensitivity to text speak is going to get you innundated with annoying replies now.

text speak is naff - stop it..
The last word of that post was "no text speak".

Which isn't exactly text speak anyway, but interesting that the translator managed to change it to "text speak is naff - stop it..", which aren't my words (or the sentiment of that post)

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs » 20/05/17 9:14

gavsdavs wrote:
20/05/17 9:12
gavsdavs wrote:
19/05/17 23:33
gavsdavs wrote:

no text speak
The last word of that post was "no text speak".

Which isn't exactly text speak anyway, but interesting that the translator managed to change it to "text speak is naff - stop it..", which aren't my words (or the sentiment of that post)
OMG someone is being a little overzealous with the translator here.

So no, you didn't edit my post, but the translation table is being updated as we go to keep words you don't like out of posts.

FWIW, "i_n_n_i_t" is urban indian, not text speak. Please give over.

Rev5v6
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Rev5v6 » 20/05/17 9:52

gavsdavs wrote:
20/05/17 9:14

OMG someone is being a little overzealous with the translator here.

So no, you didn't edit my post, but the translation table is being updated as we go to keep words you don't like out of posts.

FWIW, "i_n_n_i_t" is urban indian, not text speak. Please give over.
Suburban indian? WTF? (thats not text speak) I thought that was some sort of east enders mockney thing?

But yeah, I agree with what you are saying - saying 'no-one is editing posts' with a ;) disclaimer could be seen as being overzealous or just over moderating.

Over use of text speak is annoying and crap, but could hardly call a 'lol' grating. The original policed post was pretty light on ye non olde textspk, but hey this thread has been the most active one for quite a while.

There was a time not so long ago it seemed that just about all UK mr2 forums were struggling for any traffic at all, with horrible things like faecaebook taking away a lot of content I can't see reason in getting people off side for small infractions - then rubbing their nose in it by taking away some British localisms with auto translators.

Jimi, i'm sure you'd be more than annoyed if you thought you may like to post they way you may probably talk - and replaced your 'och' 'wee' and so on with 'more acceptable' words.

Surely we can't be expected to post in BBC English here - but chavtastic gobbledegook would be a worse alternative.

Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 » 20/05/17 10:17

And to be totally honest, a bit of annoying text speak over that annoying incoherent total gibberish 'space blow job goblins' "censored" that is allowed to continue here??

WTF is going on there? How can that nonsense be allowed unchallenged yet if some bloke (can I say bloke?) chuck in a 'U' in a post it turns into an epic thread…

I honestly think that allowing that total rubbish to continue on this forum seriously detracts from its credibility. Imagine a new mr2 owner searching for a forum or club to join - and they read that authors contributions? Do they want to know about 'decoy blow job goblins' and other words of wisdom or do they want to know and talk about mr2's??

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs » 20/05/17 15:05

Indeed, constantly updating the "automatic word censor" to remove words you don't like and saying "I didn't edit your post" is somewhat disingeneous. The edits you're making to the word censor are intended to edit people's posts without actually directly editing people's posts.

Tha's pretty sucky I'm afraid.

-1 for moderating skill

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber » 20/05/17 15:10

Oh dear. Jimi becoming a bit of a dictator. No wonder post numbers are falling on this site.

I think people need to lighten up and get with the times.

Jeez, its not even this pompous on the mr2 drivers club.

angpozzuto

Post by angpozzuto » 20/05/17 16:23

It's starting to get a bit silly now. If someone writes u as opposed to you does it really matter?? It's not like it's unreadable. Also i n n i t isn't text speak so what's the problem with that?

angpozzuto

Post by angpozzuto » 20/05/17 16:26

Rev5v6 wrote:
20/05/17 10:17
And to be totally honest, a bit of annoying text speak over that annoying incoherent total gibberish 'space blow job goblins' "censored" that is allowed to continue
100% agree wtf is that "censored" about???

Rev5v6

Post by Rev5v6 » 20/05/17 21:13

jimi wrote:
18/05/17 19:50
Rev5v6 wrote: But the emoticon pointing to the "Rulez" book seems to indulge in text speak!!!!
No, the use of z instead of s is colloquial (american) and informal. ;)
textspeak(noun)
"Language regarded as characteristic of text messages, consisting of abbreviations, acronyms, initials, emoticons, etc."

Sorry mate, according to that definition you used of textspeak you'll have to stop using acronyms and emoticons. :sad:

Return to “General Banter”