Purple thunder: One mount made, one to go!!

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
qwakers
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Purple thunder: One mount made, one to go!!

Post by qwakers » 16/05/17 20:28

so i think it came out all right. would have been better if i sealed it properly and didnt waste a load of the pu rubber so it was filled to the top.

i think the rubber compound is quite soft. maybe too much so IMHO, its certainly more pliable than the other poly bushes in the car... maybe itll get harder its still a bit tacky to the touch.

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 » 16/05/17 20:30

That's strange mine was solid it had no give what so ever. Concrete would of been softer!!

qwakers
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by qwakers » 16/05/17 20:35

maybe adding the colouring agent changed it somehow? maybe mix up a very small amount as a test and see if its different?

chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 » 21/05/17 20:41

Just a little more progress today, I now the proud owner of a mk1.5?with 3 engine mount. Unfortunately between the seam welding, media blasting and powder coating the mount had moved so it didn't line up with the bolt holes so I had to take a grinder and drill to my lovely mounts to get them to fit 😞, but they need to work first look good second.

So there it is all attached and doing its job, there is a little bit of work to do to reinforce it and use that last remaining bolt hole. Next time I get the welder out I will mock it up and attach it.

After this I got a bit anal and sorted the bolts into size order and put them in my new bolt organiser. 😄I'm sad I know but it made me happy.

The main purpose of the weekend was to replace the other halfs car after it was driven into the back off, so she had.

And now has

Now she's happy I can get back to working on my own car, until it breaks down, it is a Impreza after all.

d-peg
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by d-peg » 22/05/17 9:16

I know it's for safety of the occupants but it's distressing how these more modern 'crumple zones' do actually crumple.!! I suppose it's be repairable if you had the time and inclination.

Not forgetting scobbies are made of cheese-metal. :D
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 » 22/05/17 19:11

I was very happy with crumple zones the damage doesnt look to bad but once the bumper was off the whole backend was pushed back 20-30cm. That was including the chasiss rail.

chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 » 31/05/17 17:27

Well the Impreza is still making my other half happy and hasn't broken down so this means more time to work on the mk1.

Ive got alot of welding coming up soon with having to build in done support into the rear firewall, make an enclosure for the intake manifold plus strengthen some of the mounts. In order to get some practice in I decided to make a simple battery tray, it's not pretty but it does the job.

My welding is not pretty but I have much more confidence that it will hold together, before any asks the welds you can see are just tacks the welding is underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Engine Conversions”