Top Speed?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
49 posts • Page 1 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Top Speed?

Postby Fandango » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi all.

Am going to book a trackday at Silverstone for the springtime, as soon as it appears on the calendar, will be the full track layout.

So as I have only so far been to Pembrey, and Oulton Park, I have not had a chance to find the top speed, just about got to 100mph at Pembrey, and a bit more, at Oulton Park.

The car is a series 2 turbo import, bog standard apart from losing a bit of weight, and aircon disabled. Car runs well, and pulls strongly on boost.

What do you reckon the top speed available should be, I have the option of standard gearing, or a bit raised (by using 16 inch rear wheels with 205/55x16 tyres)?

Cheers :)
Fandango

Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Top Speed?

Postby MRturboTom » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:06 pm

205 is too narrow for the rear! And will reduce stock gearing not make it longer
112mph if you've still got it restricted lol
Last edited by MRturboTom on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'95 Mk2 Rev 3 G-Limited T-bar
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 279.5 fwbhp @ 0.8bar with 1.05bar tvis open
MRturboTom
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Postby Howlin_Mad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Fandango wrote:Hi all.

Am going to book a trackday at Silverstone for the springtime, as soon as it appears on the calendar, will be the full track layout.

So as I have only so far been to Pembrey, and Oulton Park, I have not had a chance to find the top speed, just about got to 100mph at Pembrey, and a bit more, at Oulton Park.

The car is a series 2 turbo import, bog standard apart from losing a bit of weight, and aircon disabled. Car runs well, and pulls strongly on boost.

What do you reckon the top speed available should be, I have the option of standard gearing, or a bit raised (by using 16 inch rear wheels with 205/55x16 tyres)?

Cheers :)

160 mph if you find a straight long enough! Have you had your car delimited? It will top out at 112 otherwise.

HM
MGB GT//JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6 // JDM Rev3 Auto G-Ltd // JDM Rev3 GT-S Turbo
Howlin_Mad

Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Postby fingers99 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:38 pm

I'd keep the gearing stock, the rear tyres wide. Full circuit doesn't mean a lot: note that the grand prix circuit is different from (and longer than) the international circuit.

I'd not have thought that using the GP circuit would be viable for track days: more rent, more marshalls, more ambulances, etc. but I may be wrong.
Last edited by fingers99 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fingers99

Postby Pav677 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 pm

I've seen around 140 with rpm in reserve, not on the public highway obviously ;)
Rev 2 GT-S-Lenso D1Rs, HKS BOV, Japspeed box, Apexi filter, Drilled grooved & redstuff pads, Tein ss, XSP IC, MBC, De-cat.
http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/pav67 ... t=3&page=1
Pav677

MR2's Owned: 2

Postby MR2DI4 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:51 am

Race tracks over here its hard to get past 180Km/hr. The straights are not long enough for a road car and you take much longer to brake as well. Put a race car on the same circuit and you would see 250+ as the acceleration is better and braking is much later.

The MR2 Turbo is good for 250Km/hr but have yet to find a decent stretch of motorway to get it over 220Km/hr.
MR2DI4

Years of MR2 Ownership: 15

Postby Fandango » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:57 am

MRturboTom wrote:205 is too narrow for the rear! And will reduce stock gearing not make it longer
112mph if you've still got it restricted lol

Surely the gearing is raised, ie 225/50x15 = 606mm, 205/55x16 =632mm.
Fandango

Postby Fandango » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:03 am

Hmm, never thought about the restriction, not sure how to check it, as the car is not even road legal. Is it easy to derestrict?
Fandango

Postby gavsdavs » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:34 pm

http://mr2.phpwerx.net/turbocalc/gearratios.php

Use these ratios (or look them up)
1st 3.230
2nd 1.913
3rd 1.258
4th 0.918
5th 0.731

Final drive
4.285 (1990-1999 MR2 Turbo 3SGTE)

Using 225/50/15s and 7500rpm ceiling, theoretical maximum of 165mph.

I wonder who's got closest and where :)
gavsdavs

Years of MR2 Ownership: 14

Postby MRturboTom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:30 pm

I've hit the rev limiter in 5th but never saw the speed still having a 180kph/110mph clock
'95 Mk2 Rev 3 G-Limited T-bar
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 279.5 fwbhp @ 0.8bar with 1.05bar tvis open
MRturboTom
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Postby topgun » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Pav677 wrote:I've seen around 140 with rpm in reserve, not on the public highway obviously ;)

I managed 146 on my old Rev 5 NA,In the turd 155 and nearly crapped myself plus there was still left some in reserve all done on a private road cough cough
topgun

MR2's Owned: 10

Postby Howlin_Mad » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:32 pm

My Auto hit 180 on the Dyno - geared for over 200mph in O/D!

Not that it would ever get there on the road the poor thing, couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! :laughing

HM
MGB GT//JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6 // JDM Rev3 Auto G-Ltd // JDM Rev3 GT-S Turbo
Howlin_Mad

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:43 am

What about if your rev limit is 8500rpm?
Olly

Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Postby Protok » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:36 am

On a stock gearbox? You're looking at 185mph thereabouts but you need the horsepower for it ;)
I think you need something like 650hp just to break the 200mph barrier.

Mine will do 189mph if I had enough power and enough road, wouldn't want to try go around a corner faster than 60ish anyway.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
Member of the JAE '12 TOW Winning team

The Grunt of a V6, The Power of a Turbo and The Technology of the Beams.
Protok

Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 4

Next

49 posts • Page 1 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Return to MK2