Radiator fitment confirmation

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
Cozzamozza

Radiator fitment confirmation

Post by Cozzamozza » 05/11/17 14:43

Hi all,

I have a N/A 1992 import with the radiator burst. The current radiator is the import spec 572x320 core size, but finding a part isn't easy as most are the 672x320 core UK size.

I've seen a couple of posts saying that a UK spec can fit into an import spec, does anyone have experience with this? If it is possible, what needs removed etc.

Cheers!

rainen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Radiator fitment confirmation

Post by rainen » 05/11/17 15:04

They fit straight in without removing anything. I did this on my 1994 GLimited import. The only issue you will have as I did to start with is the radiator fans are not a direct fit onto the bigger radiator. You can line up a few of the points to attach. I had them on for a couple of years but in the end bought a couple of second hand fans that fit onto the bigger radiator. I'm sure they don't make the smaller radiators anymore.

Cozzamozza

Post by Cozzamozza » 05/11/17 17:19

Perfect cheers, explains the high price. AIr con radiator has already been removed and not replaced, likely for the same reason

rainen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by rainen » 05/11/17 17:51

One thing to be aware of is if the A/C has not been completely taken out then if you put the wrong temperature sender into the radiator then the fans will run continuously. So to be on the safe side recover this from the old radiator and use on your new one. They don’t make those anymore as I’ve found out. Managed to reuse mine twice now.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim » 07/11/17 9:25

You may have a piece of plastic cowling either side of the rad that will need removing. Just yank em out and toss em.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Cozzamozza

Post by Cozzamozza » 20/11/17 17:09

Radiator finally arrived, eager to get it fitted, and low and behold I've been sent a radiator for a VW T4 transporter! Pending..

Cozzamozza

Post by Cozzamozza » 23/11/17 21:32

Anyone know if a turbo radiator will fit?

Cozzamozza

Post by Cozzamozza » 07/12/17 20:52

All done! Thanks for the help. Issue solved.

Just for anyone searching in future:

A MK2 N/A UK Spec radiator (672x320mm core) does fit into a J-import MK2 N/A spec (572x320mm).

The radiator will need to go in from underneath, which is what most guides say to do anyway. I removed my fans and J-spec radiator out the top way before, hence the mention. It's possible to angle it right to feed it through the top however, if you don't have an under-tray, so no need to jack the car up.

I also had to rotate the rubber inlet/outlet hoses to align them to the wider radiator. And as expected, the fan frame holes don't align to the radiator holes but it's easy enough to drill some small metal plates to attach them, or tie wraps.

Return to “MK2”