Search found 46 matches

by benckj
17/11/17 17:41
Forum: MK2
Topic: rear spoiler pitting
Replies: 14
Views: 180

Re: rear spoiler pitting

Note it’s only the side pieces which pit. Moisture can get under the body seal and it becomes trapped. After it heats up in the sun it will migrate through fibreglass and cause putting on surface. After I cleaned and painted the underside of my old gen1 spoiler the problem went away. Might as well d...
by benckj
16/11/17 17:35
Topic: rear spoiler pitting
Replies: 14
Views: 180

Re: rear spoiler pitting

My take on this problem is moisture working it’s way from the underside which causes the issue. This is why it happens on side pieces and not on rear section. Need to remove each part and coat inside with a sealing paint before refinishing top coat.
by benckj
08/11/17 19:07
Topic: What to replace while engine out of car
Replies: 7
Views: 143

Re: What to replace while engine out of car

+1 on the OEM throw out bearing (TOB). Actually I'm a fan of going with the whole OEM clutch. Very few aftermarket clutch kits will ever last to 150,000kms!

jim
by benckj
07/11/17 19:52
Forum: MK2 cars for sale
Topic: Sold - Toyota MR2 MK2 revision 5
Replies: 10
Views: 263

Re: For Sale Toyota MR2 MK2 revision 5

As a matter of being curious did the UK get rev 5 turbo's?
by benckj
07/11/17 17:11

Didn’t realise they made rev 5’s outside of Japan. Do all the UK versions lack passengers air bag and have the older style steering wheel?
by benckj
07/11/17 1:05

Must be a special UK version rev 5 as it lacks some of the bits from JDM models.
by benckj
05/11/17 19:44
Topic: What to replace while engine out of car
Replies: 7
Views: 143

Re: What to replace while engine out of car

That's a hard question to answer as anything can require repair especially with installing a used engine with unknown history. My philosophy is to not replace things which are not broke as often you will create problems in doing so. Tackle any maintenance items which would be required in short term ...
by benckj
03/11/17 17:55
Topic: Clutch problems
Replies: 2
Views: 69

Re: Clutch problems

How did you bleed the clutch fluid? If it was done like brakes it is wrong.

Jim
by benckj
25/10/17 23:58
Topic: Mr2 MK2 intercooler Fan motor leaking?!?
Replies: 6
Views: 107

Re: Mr2 MK2 intercooler Fan motor leaking?!?

I'd pull off the hot IC pipe leading into the IC and inspect internals. Many of them collect oil from engine vapours and condenence inside pipes. looks like a joiner is directly above fan motor.

IC fan motor is controlled by engine bay sensor located on the lid.

jim
by benckj
22/10/17 20:12
Topic: Unusual Boost Leaks ?
Replies: 5
Views: 95

Re: Unusual Boost Leaks ?

If you wanted to repeat the test without the engine running you could apply 12V to it and it'll keep it closed. Can't remember which pin is which, BGB may help. IIRC middle pin is ground, the two remaining pins move it in either direction. Best check though! That’s a good idea. BGB has a test proce...
by benckj
22/10/17 17:58

Looks like you have eliminated the BOV. On the IACV it is generally in a partially open position when no power supplied. The ECU will close as engine warms up and if positive boost applied. They are known to stick so best to check operation. Most I’ve seen are very gummed up and even rusted so bad t...
by benckj
22/10/17 8:49

Try blocking off or eliminating the blow off valve. Sounds like the diaphragm may be damaged and it’s opening but not reseating itself.

Another long shot is the IACV located on underside of TB. These can stick open and leak boost back into intake.

Jim
by benckj
18/10/17 21:28
Topic: Inner turbo CV joints
Replies: 3
Views: 71

Re: Inner turbo CV joints

Basic CRW S1 kit is the way to go. There was group purchase last year for somewhere around the $100USD mark which included cages, bearings, can, boots and seals. Bit of a pain to do but worth doing. Search through the US forums for some decent instructions, pics and video on how to install. Most peo...
by benckj
04/10/17 1:16
Forum: MK1
Topic: Passenger Window Stuck
Replies: 17
Views: 306

Re: Passenger Window Stuck

That's what I thought with the MK2 (SW20) but due to circuit going through drivers side control some funny things can happen. This is especially true when a wire is partially broken and cannot pass full motor current due to a high resistance. The other fault is a corroded and broken ground wire with...

Go to advanced search