3.5 V6 "debate"?

The place for all your general chat - Any MR2 related topics will be moved to the appropriate forum sections

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: 3.5 V6 success

Post by gavsdavs » 18/08/19 19:40

Absu wrote:
17/08/19 23:42
Hi,
thanks for your replay and input I really appreciated that and I'm glad you didn't have any mentioned issues with your car:th: However..the question is?how many miles you've done so far since 2012? I my experience this kind of cars in general seem to be don't do many miles at all (you can check MOT history)some do 500 miles in a 3 year some 1000 miles.. I had a conversation with one guy who had mr2 with 400bhp (so he said) he said that his car never sees the rain and winter and is his pride and joy.

Well..I'm different is my pride and joy on daily basis..when I've build the car and put on the road..speedo was reading 71,464 kmh..until 79500 roughly after speedo mph conversion and now is about 87+ from 79500 to 87+ is all in miles!and during this mileage I'm on my 3rd set of rear tyres! I'll make some video at some point..

By the way,do you know whats the engine weight with the transmission of 2gr-fe or 2gr-fse compare to 3sgte?? I know that we can ditch aircon pumps on both. In my experience I would choose h22 vs K20 +4 series.. Same 3sge over any 1zz and 2zz and 3 sgte of any 1mz and 2gr and the list can go on. Earlier engines was much more reliable in many ways..maybe less powerful but that easily corrected.

Yeah..I tell you the truth I've never been in MR2 with any v6 1mz or 2gr.But I'll always consider 1mz is utter downgrade from a turbo.
Not only have I not had any of the issues you've mentioned, the other people I know of with 2gr cars (there are at least 3 on this forum and a number more on FB), have not had them either. Of the things about running a 2gr MR2, issues with the engine are not among them. People have other MR2/swap related whinges (gearbox too short, loom faults, rust, seized brakes, etc), but pure engine mechanicals that you're referring to - are very very rare. I'll ask again - where have you got that impression ?

I've owned this car since 1999 and I've done around 38,000 miles since the conversion in 2012. It's not generally a daily (I live and work in London), but has been used daily to get to remote sites, has done a number of long distance (~2000 mile) European road trips. It is as reliable as the 3s-ge that came out of it and largely because it doesn't have to work very hard most of the time.

Engine weights - a 3vz is heavy, a 3s-gte is just about as heave heavy (you have to factor in a turbo and charge coolers and stuff), a 1MZ is lighter and a 2GR is lighter (as they are both alloy). Most people use an e153 gearbox on a 2gr, but the S54 N/A box is also used for V6s (extending gear ratios is a little easier and is a a good idea).

I have to be honest with you, but an "as Toyota intended" (i.e. fully stock) rev2 turbo will struggle to keep up with a 1MZ sw20 on the road (the extra 20bhp headline figure hardly helps on the road), as it's got lots more immediate torque across the rev range and that's what counts when driving on the road. A 2GR sw20 will put many length on you.

BTW, you can't use a 2gr-fse.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog » 19/08/19 5:22

wrote:79500 roughly after speedo mph conversion and now is about 87+ from 79500 to 87+ is all in miles! and during this mileage I'm on my 3rd set of rear tyres!
3 sets of tyres in 8k miles. :blink:

That would suggest there is either something seriously wrong with the car's geometry or it is down to manner is which it is driven.
wrote:Finally..my spare gearbox has been stripped today to check what's the damage inside. 1st gear was jumping out...oil was like silver paint in colour even after 2 oil changes. I've done about 8000 miles on it.
Hmmm. Coincidence?
wrote:Removed for contravention of the club rules
Good going (NOT!) to have this happen twice within a month of joining and call an admin a "dick-head". :blink:

gavsdavs wrote:
18/08/19 19:40
I'll ask again - where have you got that impression ?
Don't wait up. He was on a final warning from the OC Team and came back with this gem.
wrote: I would not post on this specific 3.5 V6 success tread which should be really called 3.5V6 Disaster. 2 tonne car with Fiat Punto engine.
Nothing wrong with disagreement and debate but it needs to be conducted with respect. He still can't accept he's done anything wrong.

Then his parting shot.
wrote:You know what..if that's the case then just delete my account. I think I've got enough from the forum neither I will loose on something or it will add anything that I've already know...in fact this forum still in Dark Ages.
Looks like he's wisely decided to quit before he was handed a Image
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

SonicSW20
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Post by SonicSW20 » 19/08/19 9:05

What a loon.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14

Post by jimi » 19/08/19 13:24

TonyleFrog wrote:
19/08/19 5:22

Nothing wrong with disagreement and debate but it needs to be conducted with respect. He still can't accept he's done anything wrong.

Exactly, I'm no stranger to both :laughing but it needs to be kept reasonable and respectful and he was neither.

Then his parting shot.
wrote:You know what..if that's the case then just delete my account. I think I've got enough from the forum neither I will loose on something or it will add anything that I've already know...in fact this forum still in Dark Ages.
He got his wish, his account has been suspended (so in effect he's banned) IMO no loss to the club.

Tidied up the original thread and split the "debate to here.

Reading through his posts while tidying the thread I get the definite impression he's no stranger to getting the Image from forums :no:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

gavsdavs

Re: 3.5 V6 "debate"?

Post by gavsdavs » 19/08/19 20:06

I was kind of looking forward to a response to where he got his anti-v6 sentiment from - I like the 3s-gte but there's no reason to hate on v6s, they're just different engines...

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 » 19/08/19 20:30

Been away for a week and missed most of it , Just have to say I love my V6 :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 21

Post by MR2DI4 » 20/08/19 3:26

I think the way you drive matters and also people should be aware that the two just have different characteristics so again it comes back to the way you drive.

Not really much point arguing about power output, you can take the 3SGTE to whatever your prepared to spend on it, the sky is the limit.

Personally I prefer the characteristic of a sports car or race engines, something your prepared to rev and it likes to be revved.

Sure a V6 can be great but it depends on what type of car it came out of and therefore what the engines characteristic is.

Found this for a bit of a laugh, who can spot the major mistake they made here ?

https://www.hotcars.com/cars-with-v-six ... -the-dust/

To argue that a V6 is better than a 3SGTE is a bit of a waste of time but I would definitely look at what you like in terms of engine characteristic and preferably test drive anything before spending big money on engine swaps or even modifications. Taken to extremes whats good on the track is no longer necessarily good on the road.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog » 20/08/19 9:10

Bearing in mind what kicked off this debate...
wrote:That's because you don't ever drove proper Turbo 3sgte engine ever!! 3sgte vs 2gr.. 3sgte always wins!!! :th:
When challenged over the first sentence this was the response.
wrote:1st a proper 3S-GTE means that is has been build to a factory specification like Toyota do.
Factory spec means stock. So any proper comparison has to be with a stock 2FR-FE.

Therefore the second 'always wins' statement above is just pub/internet bravado. Not to mention factually suspect. I stand by my comment that in the real world of on road driving a converted car with a stock 2GR-FE under the lid will walk away from a stock 3S-GTE. The torque curve will see to that.

It doesn't matter two hoots how far you can modify a 3S-GTE.
Once you move away from OEM spec for each type it renders the whole discussion moot.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

d-peg
Administrator
Administrator
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg » 20/08/19 16:11

MR2DI4 wrote:
20/08/19 3:26
I think the way you drive matters and also people should be aware that the two just have different characteristics so again it comes back to the way you drive.
^^^ this :th: ^^^

I've had a modded rev2 turbo, a rev5 3SGE, a rev5 3sgte and of course my rev2 2gr (lightened fly, 7.2krpm limit, E153 LSD and longer FD). Loved every one of them but what it boils down to is how you drive. Neither of the tubbies suited my style of driving, I loved my GE to bits - quite literally :laughing - stuck 45k on it before selling it on. But my 2gr is perfect for me :grouphug:

Bye Absu!! don't let the door hit you on the way out. it may knock some sense into you :rofl:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 » 20/08/19 23:04

Not always a good idea to alienate or boot people out with clearly a lot of knowledge just because of their opinions.

What you end up with is just a few people in an echo chamber.

If you don't like their opinion just ignore it, no need to jump up on your soapbox all the time and bang on about it.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14

Post by jimi » 21/08/19 3:26

Nothing to do with liking or disliking his opinion!! What he does/doesn't know is irrelevant. It was all to do with following the rules that everyone agrees to follow when they join this club. If your not prepared to follow them why tick the box and join? I'm quite sure the majority of people don't read the rules and just tick the box.
Common courtesy and respect cost nothing, as you yourself said
MR2DI4 wrote:
17/08/19 2:55
I think that one of the problems now is that some people don't know the difference between a Forum and Facebook.
We don't suspend accounts lightly, in the lifetime of this club (17 years) only a handful of people have been suspended, we have survived their removal, I'm sure we'll survive his departure.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 » 21/08/19 4:50

Yeah this a pretty solid club as long as it retains members with in-depth knowledge.

When you join a Subaru club and you cannot get verification on what is considered a normal O2 sensor reading on your OBDII reader you know your in trouble.

Return to “General Banter”