Lands End to John O'Groats July 2011

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
alanwheeldon
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by alanwheeldon »

Me and Mr_Wedge are organising a road trip on the 19th July 2011 from Lands End to John O'Groats.

It will consist of an all day drive from one end of the country to the other within 24 hours on the same day. The distance is roughly about 850 miles for that day but no matter where you live in Britain you will be doing around 1700 miles from your house to home so this road trip is not for the faint hearted.

We plan on spending 2 nights in Lands End to meet, greet and rest up for the trip on the 19th. When you arrive in John O'Groats you will be greated with a glass of Champagne from the hotel manager in preperation for the evenings entertainment.

This trip is open to all makes and models of cars and is not a race. However, there is a prize for the first person to arrive in John O'Groats.

We will all be setting off at the same time with a photo of yourself and your car at the famous Lands End sign post with a time and date, the same will happen at the finish point. There is no route planned so you can make your own route to which ever way you think will be the quickest or most fun. Motorways are obviously the quickest way to go but not the most scenic or fun. The choice is yours :)

If you would be interested in this event then just simply let us know and we will try and answer your questions.
Last edited by alanwheeldon on 14/04/11 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

Tinker2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Lands End to John O'Groats July 2011

Post by Tinker2 »

Al this is right up my street and is something I would love to do but I just cant afford it :no: If you organise it again for next year I will be there :th:

You have put "we are organising" wo is the we ?
1990 Rev1 GLimited T-Bar Black = Gone but not forgotten
1998 Rev5 N/A Cosmos Blue = Sold
1995 Rev3 GT-S T-Bar Goodwood Green =

JayZ

Post by JayZ »

If the organisors are paying for the fuel.. I'm in :th:

Seriously, it does sound tiring, but a great experience.

So.. any particular reason for the event ?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Tinker2 wrote:Al this is right up my street and is something I would love to do but I just cant afford it :no: If you organise it again for next year I will be there :th:

You have put "we are organising" wo is the we ?
I'm in pretty much the same possition this year :(

I think Alan and Wedgey are organising it
Cars suck donkey balls

adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

That sounds epic!

When in July are you planning it?

Mr_Wedge
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Mr_Wedge »

It was something that I've been wanting to do for a long time, I put the idea to Alan and were are now setting the ball in motion. It's a good long drive and wouldn't want to do it on my own, so at this point I must say a huge thank you to Alan for helping make dreams come true.

To stop people doing stupid speeds, we have talked about setting a time window, in other words, don't get there before Mr Google says you can. With fuel stops and breaks that will give you time to make up, but the idea is to arrive on the same day.

I will not be collecting first prize due to my lousy fuel consumption, I reckon four tanks if I take it easy and five if I push it a bit. That doesn't include fuel to Lands end or back from John O'Groats.

Always open to ideas and suggestions.

Ian.
3.0 V6 3vz-fe
Built by Rogue Motorsport.

Mr_Wedge

Post by Mr_Wedge »

Planned date is the 19th or 20th of July, I've got that week booked off so we can do a bit of the social side before and after.
3.0 V6 3vz-fe

Topic author
alanwheeldon
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by alanwheeldon »

JayZ wrote:Seriously, it does sound tiring, but a great experience.

So.. any particular reason for the event ?
The trip will be tiring which is why we are suggesting 2 days rest in Lands End before the start date. It would probably be best to have a co driver with you also, you can share the driving and the costs of the trip too.
There is no real reason for the event, just another tick in the box of things you have done before you die :th: I have driven my car all around Europe and this is a trip which when put to me via Mr_Wedge sounded like it could be interesting to plan.

We will all be setting off at the same time with a photo of yourself and your car at the famous Lands End sign post with a time and date, the same will happen at the finish point. There is no route planned so you can make your own route to which ever way you think will be the quickest or most fun. Motorways are obviously the quickest way to go but not the most scenic or fun. The choice is yours :)

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Is there a set route? Are you planning on using motorways?

spanky
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by spanky »

Mr_Wedge wrote: I reckon four tanks if I take it easy and five if I push it a bit

That'll be five tanks then, Ian :D

I remember your 'calm' driving :drive1:

MichaelJapp

Post by MichaelJapp »

Its something I have always wanted to do on the bike, so If I can get the time off work you can put my name down as well. Might as well do a dry run in the car!

Michael

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22

Post by Ripley »

Mr_Wedge wrote:Planned date is the 19th or 20th of July, I've got that week booked off so we can do a bit of the social side before and after.
Pity its midweek Ian otherwise we might have caught up with you somewhere along the way. If you're not in a rush to get back home, give us a shout :th:

Save the bunnies!

Mr_Wedge

Post by Mr_Wedge »

Ripley,
I was going to see if I could call in and see you anyway, Not driving all that bloody way just to turn round and go home.

Spanky,
It might need six :whistling: and some tyres.
3.0 V6 3vz-fe

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22

Post by Ripley »

Mr_Wedge wrote:Ripley,
I was going to see if I could call in and see you anyway, Not driving all that bloody way just to turn round and go home.

Spanky,
It might need six :whistling: and some tyres.
Great stuff Ian, just give us a shout and we'll get something sorted :clapping:

Save the bunnies!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 5 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”