John O'Groats To Land's End-21st June 2012

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
shnevpayne

John O'Groats To Land's End-21st June 2012

Post by shnevpayne »

As some members may have seen/read there has been a few discussions about doing a drive from John O Groats to Land's End this summer, between mainly myself and Phil-B. :)

Some other members have expressed interest but only to join in part of the journey which is understandable, its a bit of a trek! And so, I ask you all now, who's with me? This is inevitably going to be my "summer holiday" yes Summer holiday! Its my only week off between now and September/October time. The plan is to once again have a race against the sun, driving the full length of the country between 4am (Sunrise at JOG's) to arrive at Land's End before 9:30pm. :D

I know for a fact this is easy. I drove it in my mini and we have atleast 2 hours or more of break times/stops/toilets/fuel etc :laughing and still got there with an hour to spare. I keep reading up that the fastest time that has been recorded (Guiness book of records) at the 11 hours 17 minutes mark (Motorbike), and non stop 15hours (motorbike). :clapping:

As much as I'd love to achieve a certain record (maybe next year) this year is all about the drive.
From what I recall from 2010, we just had a laugh, and made reasonable time in a car that couldn't go much over 80 without masses of black smoke coming outta the back end! :rofl:

So what I am asking is would anyone be interested in joining in for a few days, meeting people on the way up, crashing (not literally) at my sisters house or some other local facility in the dunfermline area (20 mins outside Edinburgh) having a night out on the town, cruising up to JOG's and camping overnight, and having a long drive down for a day to Land's End for a sunny sandy beach alcohol filled long weekend? :cool1:

You can join on the way up for a cruise, on the way down, join in for the weekend, though I will be going to Yeovilton on the Saturday. What say ye? Speaketh now! :cool1:
Chin chin!

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: John O'Groats To Land's End-21st June 2012

Post by Ripley »

Its my busy time at work so time off mid week is a no no :no: however the 22nd is a Friday so could maybe arrange some of the Club members from around here to meet you either that evening or the Saturday depending on your schedule. :th:

Save the bunnies!

Topic author
shnevpayne

Post by shnevpayne »

im sure it could be arranged to ttie in with the friday, next year would be far easier as I'll do it on a saturday in one car or another but yeah I'm sure i could delay it a few days, or amke it into a proper event next year! :P

Topic author
Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

I'm not sure on your exact plans here? Are we driving North Thursday, staying in Dumfermline and having a night out, Friday driving from glasgow to JOG's, chill out, camp over and then leave at 4am to drve to Lands End. Then we will need to stay over there and then drive home Sunday?

So alternatively I could meet you in JOG's on Friday if need be?

Just spoke to my Brother and he is up for the journey aswell. We will probably share a car and the driving as it will be A LOT of driving over 1 weekend, north then south, then back up north again!!

I live in St. Helens by the way (north west).

Who's up for very long drive then? Come on get your names down.... :clapping: :th: :cool1:

Topic author
Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

I have just actually workd out the milage for the full weekend. 1718 miles!!!! In my current BMW 528 it's going to cost upwards of £400 in petrol..... :laughing :facepalm:

Well, you only live once I suppose! Fancied doing this for a while so it's not too bad as a one off. Would be a lot cheaper if I had a diesel though :rolleyes:

Topic author
19Luke90

Post by 19Luke90 »

Is this going "the pretty way" or just convoying down motorways?

Topic author
Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

19Luke90 wrote:Is this going "the pretty way" or just convoying down motorways?
Motorways I think pal. From sunrise to sunset ;)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”