Alternative shows for 2014

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Alternative shows for 2014

Post by MR2Jay »

Hey guys....

Chatting to a few of you a JAE, it has become clear that maybe we should try a few different shows next year. Obviously, we still have JAE but Japshow seems to be falling away and Jap fest is a bit out of the way and poorly organised by the hosts.

So, for 2014 I think we need to try and set up stands at some of the others.

Which shows do you think we should try? Need to get an idea of cost, length of event, where it is....

Basically, the more info, the better.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Alternative shows for 2014

Post by shinny »

I wouldn't say JapFest is poorly organised (bar 2012) and is definitely a good show for us to keep pushing.

At least for me, although the social aspect of JapShow was ok, the show has lost it's interest as it's smaller than JAE or JapFest and the drag strip gets somewhat passe after a while.

The question is, do we want more camping / social type shows, or do we want more one-day type shows? Also, I suspect shows with track action will be a good thing... eg. JTS? Trax? BHP? JapShow2?

peteV6R5
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

looking at feedback Silverstone was a success and I am sure that Chris and myself would have joined in the fun if we had not been in Turkey.
However - we have talked about Japfest and what we got out of it in relationship to travel cost and enjoyment.
Which I think would be similar for a few people with 1 days shows where ever they may be staged.
Very long day with long miles and costs, and with families maybe an urge to get back at a reasonable time to go for a meal etc.

so thinking about it a 2 day event would be more in keeping with the social side and make the travel more worthwhile. Even if people did their thing during the day, there is always the night to get it together

And this is not saying that Japfest is not good - far from it it.
As the concept does not change from 1 year to another so can get a bit boring, unlike JAE where the social side takes over on the stand.

my 2p
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

JTS at Siverstone that;s where we held GWR 2,quite a few years back I set up a stand there when there was the drifting events etc taking place.
No idea why Japshow and Jap Finale are not as popular as they used to be,that was one of my fav shows.

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

topgun wrote:No idea why Japshow and Jap Finale are not as popular as they used to be,that was one of my fav shows.
I'm not sure either... well, JapShow Finale gets a bit cold and wet to camp sometimes. I keep missing JapShow for reasons beyond my control :blush:

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

I was talking to Donna about the dwindling numbers, a few years ago you couldn't move for campers, there were a fair few trade stands, the jet car entertained frequently and the fun fair had far more...

This year they had about 3 trade stands, the jet car only ran once and the fun fair, well, consisted of the dodgems only. To top it off, there were about 10 clubs camping if that?

Japshow has completely lost it's way to be honest. A few years ago it was one of the better ones, now it is second rate at best.

I agree with Pete, Japfest for me has become too far for a single day show. Sure, the trade stands were probably the best out of the lot but the show itself I wasn't that keen on. I stopped going as it is a really long way to go for a day.

JTS a few years ago didn't inspire me much. Sure, the WRA was epic but a wander around the show was disappointing. That said, it was a few years ago now.

I am starting to think that maybe we set up a stand at one of these overall modified shows, not just Japanese. Trax has come a long way since it's "Burberry clad, Max Power" beginnings. Maybe we should give this one a try?

Part of the reason for this thread is that I have also realised that I really only use the Tubby for the shows and I want to make more of her. I am going to start scoping the local classic shows, local modified shows and events and try and get a feel for the general atmosphere. Since the recession hit, the modified scene has taken a hit, weeding out the Saxo brigade and the such. I think a lot of the old "Chav" types have either got bored as they can't afford it or grown up. Maybe it's time we opened up and had a look about at what there is around now.

Off the top of my head, I can think of JTS, Trax, USC, BHP, Japfest 2 as well as trying to get a local attendance to the smaller shows going. It can only serve to get us out into the wide world and surely get a good name for ourselves as enthusiasts?

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

not really a show but what about Beaulieu? they cater for lots of clubs and a good social.
there is a meet at thoresby near nottingham, used to be fairly big.

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Isn't that the Motor museum Lee?

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

I've always thought we should have a stand at Goodwood... although I'm not sure what the costs would be?

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

That's a good call - I think it might be invitation only to that one. I might email them and find out though :th:

EssexMan

Post by EssexMan »

MR2Jay wrote: Trax has come a long way since it's "Burberry clad, Max Power" beginnings. Maybe we should give this one a try?
Exactly :th: Ill be up for this among others

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Email sent - can't hurt after all. :th:

I have asked about whether they would accomodate the MR2 Owners Club with a stand and what costs are involved for the 2014 Festival Of Speed :th:

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

So, do we think we'll put a stand together for Trax?

One down side is that it tends to be within a week or 2 of JAE

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

yeah thats the museum jay.
TRAX could be an idea :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”