Alternative shows for 2014

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Alternative shows for 2014

Post by Tallboy »

dawesy wrote: there is a meet at thoresby near nottingham, used to be fairly big.
The one on bank holiday weekend? I organised a meet there a few years back and was attended.

Its a 1 day show but cheap if I remember correctly.

MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Tallboy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Like the look off tatton park jimi :th: love a good auto jumble!
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Hmmm, the Silverstone one could be good as well....

We are all petrol heads here. It would be great to browse some rare cars....

Got some great ideas here guys, this is what I was looking for :th:

2014 could be a great year for shows :th: I certainly have no issues with taking the reigns in organising a stand :th:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

Trax at Silverstone according to mr2big was good but what about
Goodwood - Sushi sunday and others
Beaulieu - Simply Japanese and other events
Santa Pod - Retro car show

maybe weekend events like Brit car, Le mans, BTCC's, other silverstone weekends like classic as Jimi said to name a few
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Dave, I have emailed Goodwood about a club stand at the Festival of speed. I have asked how we go about a stand and, probably more importantly, the cost.

The only thing putting me off Trax is how close it is to JAE but some great ideas coming :th:

Howlin_Mad
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

One of the best meets the West MIDs lot did was the Himley Transport show. They let us camp on the Saturday night for nothing, we had such a laugh on the night, and then the whole show arrived on the Sunday with lots of interesting stuff like old traction engines, american muscle cars, classic cars, all sorts! It's pretty central too.

Downside, might be close to JAE or Trax!

http://www.classicshowsuk.co.uk/carshow ... .asp?id=22

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Right, so far I am thinking that rather than Japshow, the Silverstone Classic might be a better idea (25th - 27th July 2014). Looks a fantastic show :th: I have also got contacts over there now with our taster days

I'll take that one on if you guys think it is a good idea :th:

I think it may be wise to leave shows in September to concentrate on JAE. It is our main show of the year after all :th:

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

I was at Sushi Sunday Breakfast Club this year along with TG, H-L, and Kane. Later on I discovered Neil was there too (but with his Z rather than the Rev 3 turbo).

You had to pre-register your car on the Goodwood web site but entry to the circuit was free. A club specific slot in the pit area might attract a charge though and, being Goodwood, if money is involved I doubt it will be cheap.

Upside.
A great spread of Jap cars including types you seldom see at most other shows.

Downsides.
P1$$ poor marshalling and a very negative attitude when I tried to get my car moved (I eventually found a way to get where I wanted to without fuss while avoiding the Gestapo!).
The free entry meant that the spectators were a mixed bunch rather than car enthusiasts. There were a number of families on a day out with the parents seemingly quite happy to let their sweaty-palmed offspring run around unsupervised. At one point I thought TG was going to have a coronary!

If some people think that Japfest is too much of a trek, then that applies equally to other shows, for example BHP at Lydden Hill. Trax is simply too close (datewise) to JAE so from a purely personal perspective I couldn't justify the cost. As a newbie, the ambience at JAE is unique and I think that's the whole point. It should remain that way rather than any attempt to replicate it elsewhere.

The fact is that you can't please all of the people all the time. Also, much depends on where you live in relation to where the shows are.

I think Jay may be onto something though with local classic and similar type events. At the beginning of this month I went to this. Not far from Andy (chaos19810). 400 cars isn't too shabby for a local show. It was organised to raise funds for a local hospice. Entry for exhibitors was free and left to the individual to make a donation. Including sponsorship the total amount collected was over £30k! I wouldn't have known anything about it but for PH. Loads of families attending and not a single palm print on any of our cars.

Have a look at the two short vids at the bottom of page 17 and the one on the last page. That's the mental Mini I was talking about at JAE. There is a Toyota in there too...

Oh I nearly forgot. Mine wasn't the only MR2 at the show. Had a chat with Steve Lumley who was displaying his MR2 Championship car.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

I know that both Tatton Park and the Silverstone Classic normally have MR2's, the MK1 Club usually has stands at both.
One thing I notice is that most of the shows mentioned (including JAE) are way down South, which means 4-8 hour drives for anyone in the North, what about something that's North of Manchester and give the rest of us the chance of a shorter drive ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Jimi I do feel for you guys in Scotland as you are so far out of the way and if there was something apart from the highland drive up your neck of the woods that was really worth going I am sure we would :th: but from what I can see most of the demographic of active users seems to in the Midlands and the southern half of England. With out traffic Manchester is a 4 hour drive for me and thats only from south mimms services, but its a good middle point
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

To be fair Jimi, that event at Tatton Park looks amazing and seems to be held on the first weekend in June....

I cant see any reason why we couldn't bring that one into the calendar as well? Yes, it's a hike for some of us but you are right, we DO have members north of the M5/M6 interchange.

I know Dan is looking for a new Regional Rep for up there, maybe they could take on organising for that one? I actually would be tempted to go myself :th:

Essexluke83

Post by Essexluke83 »

Jay dunno if it would help but when i used to be apart of other clubs we used to go to donnington for Donny North... it was a weekend jobbie..

There are also several car events including classical meets and shows at an airfield near me. North weald airfield... it used to hold the donny south up until 4 years ago but just recently there have been several classic shows and a show called 'players' dont know if you wanna look into that.

And what about Ace Cafe in london i swear a few months back there was a jap car meet for a day event??

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

These are all great ideas Luke :th:

We are getting some great ideas together for 2014 now. We just need to work out which ones to hit.

I have been given a link by Cori for a local show to here which is 50% cars and 50% country and craft show all for charity. Got in touch with them about a stand for a few of us as well.

I think we need to make some decisions about what main shows we are going for next year and then leave it to the regional reps for each area to cherry pick some local charity events in between :th:

So far, I think that for main events next year we have.....

1. Japfest
2. Silverstone Classic
3. JAE

I'll take on the Silverstone Classic as I have contacts over there already, we could have more, such as Tatton, BHP at Rockingham, USC etc if people are willing to take up the reigns :th: I think we also need a national events calendar to coordinate this properly

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”