Cotswold Mega Run - logistics?

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

Topic author
TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

I've been thinking a fair bit about this, so here's my 2p worth...

We have 50+ names so far. Even if only 30-35 actually turn up on the day due to people dropping out for whatever reason, the problem as I see it is going to be finding somewhere for all of us to eat together. It will need to be somewhere which is used to dealing with large numbers but we are not a coach party - we will need 10x the parking space!

The only place I can think of off the top of my head which has anything like a big enough car park is the Air Balloon at Crickley Hill (junction of A417/A436). I haven't been there since the mid '80s so I have no idea what it's like now (Greene King bought it around 10 years ago).

If it's a nice sunny day expect to find some of the hob-nailed boot crowd because it's right on the route of the Cotswold Way.

Alternatively each group makes its own lunch arrangements and we all meet up somewhere afterwards.

Over to the floor of the House!

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Tinker2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Cotswold Mega Run - logistics?

Post by Tinker2 »

The Air Balloon is 15mins away from my house Tony and its not bad, we have used it as a meeting / eating place a few times on our SW meets.

They have a small tarmac car park right outside the pub and then they have a large overflow carpark / field next to it. I will say the overflow car park is not level and we have got quite muddy going in there before but does it matter if most of us are not going to be in lowered MR2's ?

If anyone wants me to go in and ask if they can cater for us, just let me know :th:
1990 Rev1 GLimited T-Bar Black = Gone but not forgotten
1998 Rev5 N/A Cosmos Blue = Sold
1995 Rev3 GT-S T-Bar Goodwood Green =

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

Unless there's a public car park / pay and display right next to the pub, I think all regions meeting at a pub for lunch is pretty much unworkable if we get even a 50% attendance rate. As you said, finding an establishment that will cater for the group size isn't a problem - finding an establishment with space for 30+ cars on top of their normal daily trade is going to be very difficult indeed.

A decision needs to made on it this week really - if the individual regions will be having lunch en route, then they need time to organise their route and find a suitable establishment. Not really something you want to leave until the laste minute.

IMO, we would be better off committing to plan B and letting each region sort their own lunch plans out and then onwards to the meet point.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I agree Gareth. Pretty much decided that the South East will find food on route due to the potential numbers. It will be quicker and more efficient that way.

Topic author
TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

The overflow car park at the Air Balloon certainly has a few lumps and bumps, but at least it is a hard standing rather than a grassy field. I reckon there would be no problem getting 50 MR2s in there if it could be reserved for us because we wouldn't need to be concerned about leaving sufficient space for other punters to exit. Just pack 'em in!

As said, the subject came up at the recent South East meet (Essex) when it was generally agreed that finding food prior to the main gathering may be a better option. However that will have a knock-on effect in respect of the main gathering. Given the differing group sizes it means that some will take a fair bit longer to be seated and served than others. So until the last person in each group has finished eating, that convoy can't depart for wherever the main RV point will be.

So, if we are going down the route of groups sorting out their own plans for lunch, we need to fix the final meeting point first. There is not much point in a group choosing a pub then finding it's another 25 miles further to the end destination. The Cotswolds covers more territory than some folk may realise.

Stripey
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by Stripey »

Tony is indeed right, the only place that would be able to cater for us all is a large motorway services lol.
So I think its a good plan if we organised our own food before final meeting point (wherever that is) although it would be really unfortunate if multiple areas picked the same place for their food!

peteV6R5
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Stripey wrote:Tony is indeed right, the only place that would be able to cater for us all is a large motorway services lol.
So I think its a good plan if we organised our own food before final meeting point (wherever that is) although it would be really unfortunate if multiple areas picked the same place for their food!
Had the same discussion with Chris over week end.
M/way service or truck service stop on main A roads would be the only place to cater for 35+ cars and some with 2 peeps in so more than 40 people to feed.
A breakfast or lunch stop for each area on route to the main rally / meeting point would IMO be a good was round this.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Craig-rev3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

Mr Andy & I are going to have a recon session on the weekend as we're local. We have a few places in mind but need to check them out to see if they're big enough for the whole group. We've also come to the conclusion that any stops to eat need to be done by the individual regions prior the main meet. At least that way we can simply meet up & not worry too much about having flooding a single location for lunch.

I believe Jay set the time for meeting at 2pm onwards. Just need to find a location!
Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

MR2Jay
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

I would say that a meet after 2pm is probably the most workable solution. We still need to find somewhere but finding a car park is going to be far easier that finding somewhere that can cater for us as well :th:

Truthfully? I never expected this level of interest..

I have found this place, I don't know if someone knows this and how big it is?

Gateway Centre
Spine Road East
South Cerney
Cirencester GL7 5TL
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Craig-rev3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

It has a decent sized car park however its not suitable for us as its always rammed on the weekend.

Topic author
TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

:sad: Even on a cold day in February? :blink:

A couple of off the wall alternatives...

1. The Kingsmeadow lorry park in Cirencester.
The issue there is the site was sold to Whitbread in October last year.
I can't find any current planning application to Cotswold District Council.
So it looks as if things haven't got that far and it's still at the design stage.
The current state of the site and its accessibility are unknown.
It's located behind Greasy Joe's which sadly closed in May 2014.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucesters ... 653771.stm

This week's irrelevant factoid. ;)
Joe's was a regular stop-off point for the SAS guys between Hereford and London.
Including the team which lifted the Iranian Embassy siege.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/gloucesters ... 653771.stm

2. Tesco, also in Cirencester.
There may be space in the section furthest from the store.
A lot of people are lazy/unfit and cba to walk that far from/to their car.

If anybody local(ish) could scope out both sites it would be helpful.
Maybe mid afternoon next Sunday or the one after?

I would volunteer but, without another compelling reason, it's a bit far for me. :)

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's worth giving the Gateway Centre a ring I reckon - I'd be surprised if they were packed out in Feb!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Craig-rev3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:It's worth giving the Gateway Centre a ring I reckon - I'd be surprised if they were packed out in Feb!
I used live just down the road from it, you'd be very surprised how busy it is all year round!

TLF - Tesco, If I remember rightly there is a large speed bump on the exit which may cause issues. Plus I've never seen many free spaces on the weekend.

The lorry park you mentioned is suitable and we have used it in the past for meets, just not ones this large. I need to check it out first as last time I went there it was fenced off with work being carried out.

We have a few other places we are going to check out over the weekend. We will report back with our findings :th:

Stripey

Post by Stripey »

If we really struggle a large services may have to be an answer, South Mimms Honda meet was always successful and it was arranged and approved with the services as it obviously brought a lot of people who bought things from there.
It wouldn't be scenic, but we do need to find a place that we aren't just hoping will be empty on the Sunday, as if it does happen to be full when we turn up we'll be in a bit of a pickle!

Return to “National Events”