German Vs Jap - a surprise package - My Review

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

German Vs Jap - a surprise package - My Review

Post by MR2Jay »

As some of you know, the lure of free tickets tempted a few of us to give this show a try. This was the first year this was run and the age old saying "nothing ventured, nothing gained" really played a part.

The advertising unfortunately played this show up as being completely different to everything we normally do but in truth, it was more along the lines of a "Mini JAE" than a full on track suit and backward cap fest. The show itself was far more family orientated than I was expecting, with all the events not being taken too seriously.

The car limbo was a real laugh and yes, I did take part even though I knew I wouldn't stand a chance. As it happens, our very own Cori.Louise came a hard fought 2nd to a bone stock Honda Beat. Trying to navigate in an oval on wet grass was a real test of clutch skill but there wasn't a single accident and everyone was well behaved.

The sound off's again were taken lightly. It was pretty impressive to see some of the stereo builds. That is really a completely different ball game to anything we do but it is really difficult not to be impressed with the quality of the workmanship. Some of these guys travel all over competing with these setup's and it really shows. The exhaust sound off was a real laugh. Anything and everything was going through, we had turbo cars loaded with anti-lag, NA bruisers but our very own Oddshoes came away with the trophy after his V6 with the Japspeed measured and impressive (if not very practical) 123.4db!

To be honest with you, I will be organising a stand again next year. It's not often you get to see a whole host of new cars (including a VERY impressive E30 V8 with twin turbo's) but the atmosphere really struck me. There was no willy waving, both scene's mixed it up brilliantly (load of BMW guys were interested and asking loads of questions about the trusty MR2), there was mutual respect and all of the "events" were met with a very laid back, just for a laugh attitude :th:

Thanks to all you guys that came along, we put on a good show with the few cars we had there. We also made anyone interested feel welcome and we did the club proud.

So, that's my review. In my opinion, for a relaxed car weekend out, a few beers, bit of a BBQ and seeing something different for a change, it was well worth the effort :th:

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: German Vs Jap - a surprise package - My Review

Post by TonyleFrog »

I have always suspected you are a chav at heart... :p

j/k :laughing

So it might be worth a punt next year?

IIRC the Beat is one of those toy Kei cars, so would be almost certain to win. :)

We won't be seeing Oddshoes on track at Combe any time soon... :blink:
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

I'd say so Tony, I was pleasantly surprised by it :th:

All the organisers were friendly, the guys there were mature (for the most part - there was the odd goon but you get that everywhere) and clearly loved cars and the events were all just a bit of fun to break up the day...

Definitely worth a punt next year in my eyes :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

MR2Jay wrote:our very own Oddshoes came away with the trophy after his V6 with the Japspeed measured and impressive (if not very practical) 123.4db!
Holy mother of god that's loud.
MR2Jay wrote: There was no willy waving, both scene's mixed it up brilliantly (load of BMW guys were interested and asking loads of questions about the trusty MR2), there was mutual respect and all of the "events" were met with a very laid back, just for a laugh attitude :th:

Thanks to all you guys that came along, we put on a good show with the few cars we had there. We also made anyone interested feel welcome and we did the club proud.
Nice review, sounds like a nice gig. Lots of advance warning next year :)

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

It seemed a good show and I would return next year too to be honest
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

If on next year, I'll be up for it. Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”