Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Race Day

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Race Day

Post by Woody928 »

Hi All,

I've had a hankering to take the tubby on a track day to put it through its paces ever since I got it and have been considering the options of what to do. I don't fancy doing a full on open pit track day due to the cost/wear & tear on the car and also the concern of not knowing who you may be sharing the track with. With the above in mind I thought about doing some 'Taster Sessions' (as Silverstone labels them) on the National Circuit. I've mentioned this to a couple of you who expressed interest.

As I'm sure some of you will remember this is nothing new, Jay organised a couple of sessions like this back in 2013 and they proved to be a very successful day out. The link to the last one is below.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/14/159315.html

I've contacted Silverstone to say that we could be interested in doing a couple of sessions and depending on interest I'm happy to arrange for a group of us to do one or two sessions for those that are interested. Time will be allowed between sessions for those who wish to do two, in order to relax and let the cars cool down before giving them some abuse again. For those of you who didn't attend the last one, the sessions last 30 minutes. Following a safety/etiquette briefing you enter the pit lane for your session and are split into two separate groups. You are then released following a pace car for three laps to give you an idea of the racing line and then your free to put the hammer down and drive at whatever pace your comfortable doing until the chequered flag.

This is by NO means a race, it is purely an opportunity for you to put you car on a circuit and find out what either your limits or the cars are in a very controlled environment. This kind of driving obviously cannot be performed on the public road and therefore gives people the oppertunity to explore their cars without worrying about the usual hazards of the road. There is plenty of runoff around Silverstone for those of you that don't know so unlike some circuits across the UK so don't have to worry about smashing your pride and joy in the same way.

Silverstone are currently in the process of finalising their calendar for next year and waiting for major events to confirm dates before they are able to allocate weekends to these kind of sessions. I've been informed that these will hopefully be confirmed within the next month or so, after which they will contact me with all of the availability. Obviously at this point it would be good to know a rough number of people who may be interested in joining, this does not commit you as I understand depending on the date selected some of you will not be available.

Depending on overall numbers it may be possible to have an MR2OC only group and the more people we have then the lower the overall price will be. The sessions are advertised at £45 for the 30 minutes however I would expect that this will likely be around a similar price to last time (£39). This will obviously be dependent on numbers, again I will be able to confirm more details once Silverstone's full calendar is released. Silverstone's description of the sessions below.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experience ... aster-days
So please get you names down below indicating if your interested in doing any sessions whether its one or two. I'll update the list as we go.

My apologies if the above sounds patronising to some however this is predominately intended for those who have limited to no track experience. This is obviously not to say that those who are not more experienced are welcome. I would regard myself as reasonably experienced, however I will be arranging for novice sessions to cater for everyones experience levels. Any questions then please fire away :th:

Cheers, Mark

Session 1 - 13:35 6th March 2016
1. Woody 928 - paid
2.vinp182 - paid
3. TLF - paid
4. Will - paid
5. MrWedge - paid
6.AlanW - paid
7.Ria - paid
8. HM - paid
9. PeteV6R5 - paid
11. jimGTS - paid
12. gavsdavs - paid
13. Gazza_DJ - paid
14.shinny - paid
15. ga54 bls - paid
17. afennell - paid
18. MRS2 - paid
19. MRturboTom - paid
20. CleMR2 - paid
21. Dawsey - paid

Session 2 - 14:45 6th March 2016
1. Woody928 - paid
2. Vinp182 - paid
3. TLF - paid
4. Will - paid
5.MrWedge - paid
6.AlanW - paid
7. Ria - paid
8. HM - paid
9. PeteV6R5 - paid
11.jimGTS - paid
12. gavsdavs - paid
13. Gazza_DJ - paid
14. shinny - paid
15. ga54 bls - paid
17. afennell - paid
18. MRS2 - paid
19. MRturboTom- paid
20. CleMR2 - paid
21. Dawsey - paid

Now comes for the unpleasant part, payment... I've set up another paypal account to separate this from my personal account and simplify matters. Below is a link to my paypal me account, if you follow the link then you will be given the option to send over payment. Both sessions (which everyone so far seems to have selected) will be £80, please can you send over this sum and in the optional comments section please can you put down your username on here and an email address. It is important that I get both of these as I then know who has paid, and the email address will be used by Silverstone to send you out the joining instructions for the day.

Payment will be needed by the latest of 15th February 2016 as I need to send payment to Silverstone in good time in order to confirm the sessions we have reserved. Please also post on here once payment has been made in order that I can update the list accordingly. As questions then just give me a shout :th:

https://www.paypal.me/Woody928

On a side note I don't believe I've mentioned it elsewhere but you will require a crash helmet in order to go out on track, if you do not possess one then they are available for hire at the circuit for £10 on a first come first served basis (I need to confirm that that entitles you for use of it for both sessions). Alternatively if you think you may do another session like this or are considering a trackday you can actually pick up a half decent BSI approved crash helmet from the likes of eBay for £30-40. I did this on the first session a few years ago and it has certainly been useful since. Further instructions will be issued nearer the time...
Last edited by Woody928 on 06/03/16 21:09, edited 42 times in total.

Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

vinp182
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Silverstone Taster Sessions - Putting out feelers

Post by vinp182 »

Session 1 - Date/Time TBC
1. Woody 928
2.vinp182

Session 2 - Date/Time TBC
1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
Cars suck donkey balls

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

Date depending I'm in for 2 sessions. Wanna get more track experience so this sounds ideal.

Wizzle
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Wizzle »

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4.Will

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4.Will
I'm no tubby! Proud to be N/A.

MrAndy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MrAndy »

After doing both of the previous sessions, I'm in!

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4.Will
5.MrAndy

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4.Will
5.MrAndy

notroubleclubber

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber

Ben M

Post by Ben M »

As i have never been on a track this sounds good. If i understand correctly. Although i don't have a 2 :confused1: if thats not a problem i would be up for this dependant on my zeds condition at the time and dates/funds

vinp182
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7. MrWedge
8.AlanW
9.Ria

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7.MrWedge
8.AlanW
9. Ria
Cars suck donkey balls

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7. MrWedge
8.AlanW
9.Ria
10. HM

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7.MrWedge
8.AlanW
9. Ria
10. HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7. MrWedge
8.AlanW
9.Ria
10. HM
11. PeteV6R5

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7.MrWedge
8.AlanW
9. Ria
10. HM
11. PeteV6R5
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Woody928

Post by Woody928 »

Awesome response guys, I wasn't expecting this much interest so quickly :yahoo: Keep them coming, unless things have changed we would require 20 to make it MR2 only sessions (obviously we wouldn't have to but it would be nice).
notroubleclubber wrote:Date depending I'm in for 2 sessions. Wanna get more track experience so this sounds ideal.
This is perfect if you haven't done anything before. If you want you can also pay a bit extra to have an instructor come with you in your car to coach you a well. Well worth it I would imagine.
MrAndy wrote:After doing both of the previous sessions, I'm in!
:th:
Ben M wrote:As i have never been on a track this sounds good. If i understand correctly. Although i don't have a 2 :confused1: if thats not a problem i would be up for this dependant on my zeds condition at the time and dates/funds
Ideally I would like this to be just MR2's, I therefore plan to wait and see what further interest is expressed. However if we don't make it to 20 then I'm sure we can make an exception, after all we ended up with a porker in the last session! Do you want to be put down as a reserve with the view to take a place if its permitting?
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

notroubleclubber

I've only done one 15min session at japfest this year. Loved it so looking for more.

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

Dependant on date/ time.
1. Woody 928
2.vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7. MrWedge
8.AlanW
9.Ria
10. HM
11. PeteV6R5
12. Dawesy

1. Woody928
2. Vinp182
3. TLF
4. Will
5. Mrandy
6. Notroubleclubber
7.MrWedge
8.AlanW
9. Ria
10. HM
11. PeteV6R5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”