Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Race Day

This section is to talk about setting up MR2OC events.

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Race Day

Post by gavsdavs »

MRturboTom wrote: Brands is good but a bit far for those not in the south East.
Much more punishing on the car compared to Silverstone.
Yeah I would have thought Donnington, Rockingham, SIlverstone, possibly bedford as good locations - we need to around northamptonshire /central england somewhere.

I have to say any longer than the 2 thirty minute sessions and we may have seen more car wear/casualties. Thirty minutes was great, long enough to press hard and be able to concentrate - but not go completely nuts/overheat anything.

FWIW Tom, I filled up yesterday (deptford bridge), drove to beaconsfield, silverstone, 2 sessions, then back to romford all on a single tank for frugal 24mpg :)

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

Open pitlane might be better as you can go out for as little or as long as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

gavsdavs wrote:
MRturboTom wrote: Brands is good but a bit far for those not in the south East.
Much more punishing on the car compared to Silverstone.
Yeah I would have thought Donnington, Rockingham, SIlverstone, possibly bedford as good locations - we need to around northamptonshire /central england somewhere.

I have to say any longer than the 2 thirty minute sessions and we may have seen more car wear/casualties. Thirty minutes was great, long enough to press hard and be able to concentrate - but not go completely nuts/overheat anything.

FWIW Tom, I filled up yesterday (deptford bridge), drove to beaconsfield, silverstone, 2 sessions, then back to romford all on a single tank for frugal 24mpg :)
Obviously not trying hard enough :laughing

But I seem to recall you did lol

24 though, that is damn good including fun time!

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

2GR's are surprisingly fuel efficient when in a lighter car :)
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:2GR's are surprisingly fuel efficient when in a lighter car :)
I was chatting with a few folk today when I did Curborough sprint circuit with Wedge in the 3VZ and got 4mpg :laughing

Bit of a different circuit though. He claimed he got 7 Mpg but he got 4 as well, must be getting old and forgetful, still got the fuel receipt.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Well I had an awesome day... thank you so much for organising it, Mark :yh:

Even limping a slightly broken car home I still had a massive smile on my face. Give me a chance to fix it up and I'm totally game to do it all again soon :th:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Everyone mad it home under their own power, which is good!

Spare a thought for a chap I know Dan - he was at Rockingham, and was given the keys to his mates car (heavily modded Ibiza Cupra I think?). He popped the rather expensive hybrid turbo :bye:
https://youtu.be/6KiH9Ytj_OY

Skip to 9 minutes.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Cheers for organising Mark, I had a great day :th:

Nice to see everyone too :)
Cars suck donkey balls

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Mark, thanks for organising this session, Enjoyed it up till the time I checked my brake pads at the enforced stop (Thanks Gav for parking yours in the gravel and stopping the session- think you saved me a big off). No pads left on the front curtailed my 1st session and stopped me from the 2nd session.
Slow ride back home and only used the brakes once on my drive. the sound of metal on metal is not good :facepalm:

Even with this brake issue really enjoyed the meet and chats, and the 20 odd minutes had out on the track.

Would be up for another one when I get the new discs / pads etc
Gone back to standard none grooved rotors as The grooves on mine had got so they had a edge on them like a planner, sure this is what ate the pads.
Gaz was behind me on a few laps and said every time I braked a sh1t storm of dust came out of both fronts. As he has a vid would be interested to see when edited.

Great day and thanks again

edit update
Theres your problem,.
Both inside pads gone completely. Metal left only.
Both outside pads are in good shape
All 4 sliders are free and moving, all 4 pistons are free and moving.
Last edited by peteV6R5 on 07/03/16 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

well done on organising Mark, sounds like everyone had a blast...

...once the next one has a date pencilled in, put my name down, a bit gutted to have missed this but couldn't be helped this time. Next time is a certainty though.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

gavsdavs wrote:FWIW Tom, I filled up yesterday (deptford bridge), drove to beaconsfield, silverstone, 2 sessions, then back to romford all on a single tank for frugal 24mpg :)
Ditto. Did 30 miles that day, then from home to Silverstone, both sessions, and back again on Sunday. 326 miles on the trip meter. Don't know the mpg as I haven't re-brimmed the tank yet, but I'm expecting it to be somewhere in the high 20s.

Big shout out to Woody for organising the day. :th:

Definitely up for another one but, for me, it will need to be somewhere which doesn't have too restrictive a noise limit. For example, the Nur Spec is never going to pass at Bedford even with the bung in place!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Bedford are really strict as well, if you trigger a driveby meter then you're done for the day.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quintain

Post by Quintain »

Sorry to have missed it as well (Mother's day!) and up for the next one if it occurs. I'm at Brands 14th May GP circuit sessions. If anyone's around I'll be the slow green one. Wave as you pass...

Topic author
Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Really pleased to hear everyone enjoyed the day, I thought it was a great success and nice to see so many MR2's out on track together being driven in anger like they were designed to be :cool1:
gavsdavs wrote: FWIW Tom, I filled up yesterday (deptford bridge), drove to beaconsfield, silverstone, 2 sessions, then back to romford all on a single tank for frugal 24mpg :)
Another fuel wizard! I don't know how you or TLF manage it :confused1: I was bingo fuel after the second session (nearly having come in early) having done 150 miles on the tank which was the drive up from Surrey via Beaconsfield and then 2 sessions. Haven't had a chance to work out the economy as I only chucked in 20 litres to get home safe with SIlverstone's fuel prices....
peteV6R5 wrote:Mark, thanks for organising this session, Enjoyed it up till the time I checked my brake pads at the enforced stop (Thanks Gav for parking yours in the gravel and stopping the session- think you saved me a big off). No pads left on the front curtailed my 1st session and stopped me from the 2nd session.
Slow ride back home and only used the brakes once on my drive. the sound of metal on metal is not good :facepalm:

Even with this brake issue really enjoyed the meet and chats, and the 20 odd minutes had out on the track.

Would be up for another one when I get the new discs / pads etc
Gone back to standard none grooved rotors as The grooves on mine had got so they had a edge on them like a planner, sure this is what ate the pads.
Gaz was behind me on a few laps and said every time I braked a sh1t storm of dust came out of both fronts. As he has a vid would be interested to see when edited.

Great day and thanks again

edit update
Theres your problem,.
Both inside pads gone completely. Metal left only.
Both outside pads are in good shape
All 4 sliders are free and moving, all 4 pistons are free and moving.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the day Pete, was gutted to hear about your woes. I must apologise as I had no idea you weren't there till I didn't see you out on track for session two... :blush:

Absolutely the right decision based upon those photos though :shocked: Glad both you and the car got off in one piece and back home with no further drama's. I'm certainly thinking a repeat event later this year is on the cards based upon the feedback so not all is lost :th:

What pads/brake setup are you thinking of going to after this out of curiosity?
chris wrote:well done on organising Mark, sounds like everyone had a blast...

...once the next one has a date pencilled in, put my name down, a bit gutted to have missed this but couldn't be helped this time. Next time is a certainty though.
Cheers mate, thought it was about time I organised an event for the OC :) Definitely, especially now you've got the boost raised I'm sure yours will be a blast! A's mentioned above I think a repeat is on the cards later this year and then I'll need to consult with some track veterans in the community as to where best to go next as an open pit lane day could be great fun :D
TonyleFrog wrote: Big shout out to Woody for organising the day. :th:

Definitely up for another one but, for me, it will need to be somewhere which doesn't have too restrictive a noise limit. For example, the Nur Spec is never going to pass at Bedford even with the bung in place!
Only seemed fair after the number of Kent runs I've attended now ;)

Will have to explore some options but I think I'll be consulting Mr Hobson as he seems very knowledgeable on this subject. Higher noise limit would help quite a few I'm sure.
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “National Events”