Likelihood of punctures?

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Likelihood of punctures?

Post by Aerotus »

Hi everyone,

How many miles have you done on your car and how many punctures or slow punctures have you experienced?

Did you notice a higher chance as your tyre tread wore thin?

Has anyone ever successfully used those cans of goo before? What's your story?

Aero

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Likelihood of punctures?

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

:confused1: Is this your first car ?
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

I've owned several cars before and only once had a slow puncture. But I've never had a car with wheels as small as these. So I'm wondering whether they are more susceptible to puncture damage since I'm going to be leaving the spare tyre at home.

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

wheel size is not a problem, leaving the spare at home could be , the goo stuff is not ideal because most tyre fitters will object to cleaning the mess off before fixing the problem , be it puncture repair or new tyre. never used the stuff but heard that this is the case.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 13/03/19 20:29 wheel size is not a problem, leaving the spare at home could be , the goo stuff is not ideal because most tyre fitters will object to cleaning the mess off before fixing the problem , be it puncture repair or new tyre. never used the stuff but heard that this is the case.
If i punctured a tyre i would just get it replaced outright. I once bought a celica gts which had a slow puncture. Took it to kwikfit and they claimed to have fixed it but it kept losing pressure over time. As long as the goo would help me get back home over a short distance that would be good enough.

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Why don't you want to carry the spare ? weight at the front is good on our cars .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 13/03/19 20:47 Why don't you want to carry the spare ? weight at the front is good on our cars .
How much better is it though vs having a nice storage space?! I think storage space wins vs some marginally better handling. The handling is already amazing!

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

your choice then bud
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

Carry the spare - I've tried the goo cans before and haven't managed to get a seal.
They're no more or less likely to get a puncture than anything else.

novinno

Post by novinno »

With the condition of the roads nowadays, I think punctures and wheel rim damage are a distinct possibility.
A puncture late at night, far from home is really not very pleasant when you have no spare to bolt on. Breakdown services will be of no help then either.
Cans of goo might seal a leaky slow puncture, but tears in the tread from a pothole ?

I don't think so.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

novinno wrote: 14/03/19 22:17
Cans of goo might seal a leaky slow puncture, but tears in the tread from a pothole ?

I don't think so.
Same goes for a damaged rim/wheel, personally I always go with a spare.
As for small wheels being more liable to punctures :confused1: MK3 is no more likely to get a puncture than any other car on the road, it has 15" wheels (or 15/16 for the FL cars), the MK1 came with 14" as standard. I thrashed around in Mini's (proper ones) with 10" wheels for many years and never had a puncture, still carried a spare though. :)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 13/03/19 20:47 Why don't you want to carry the spare ? weight at the front is good on our cars .
I agree, I carry a full size spare front 15inch with a R888 tyre and the biggest battery that fits in the holder.

Only had one flat tyre my whole life, was a brand new tyre as well. Came out from a dentist visit and noticed it. Usually screws and nails on the road are to blame. Even had a screw go through the multirib belt on a ford focus, made a hell of a noise every time it went over a steel pully.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Punctures are mostly bad luck... I've had three random punctures in my 19 years of driving (excluding two caused by driving or maintenance errors). One was due to an industrial spring left on the road, one was due to a hypodermic needle and one was a mystery. Only once was the tyre worth repairing and I believe I have a tyre place repair it for £10. Is was always worth me carrying a spare for it though.

I understand you're a mk3 owner - you can't have bought the car for practicality anyway. I would think carefully before removing your spare for a little extra storage space. Also bear in mind that your roadside recovery poilicy (if you have one) is likely invalidated if you don't carry a spare if originally supplied with the car.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3

Post by carolineasb »

I can't see why you would want to remove the spare wheel? Turn it upside down like others have done to get more storage but still keep the weight as you need at the front end.

If you use that sticky stuff, which doesn't always work, then you can kiss goodbye to your tyre and that's another expense :(

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”