Handbrake turns

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Handbrake turns

Post by Aerotus »

Hi everyone

I've read the mk3 handbrakes are generally weak. Does anyone ever do handbrake turns for fun or in autocrossing events? Just curious how easy it would be to do, or would it damage the handbrake?

Aero

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Handbrake turns

Post by shinny »

I may be a mk2 owner but, no, I don't do handbrake turns for fun. Not since I was 20 and stupid have I done a handbrake turn on a public road... and that was in the wet and not in an MR2.

Because they're mid-engined, our cars are not best suited for sliding the back out, whether as a drift or a handbrake turn, and it's not suitable behaviour for the public road. I can't comment about auto sport uses of handbrake turns, although I suspect if you were serious about using it, you'd consider fitting a hydraulic handbrake.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”