Handbrake mk3

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Whacko15
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Handbrake mk3

Post by Whacko15 »

Hi folks sorry if this has been asked but any tips on adjusting the handbrake ?
Mot is coming up and it is crap.
I would imagine it’s not fun !
Thanks

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Handbrake mk3

Post by Chris69 »

Piece of "censored", just whip the centre console off and it's a couple of 10mm nuts, top one is the locking nut and the other is the to adjust.... sometimes helps to pump the brakes first.

If that doesn't do it try resetting the mechanisms on the calipers.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Whacko15
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Whacko15 »

Really grateful ! thanks chris69 .
Ill give it a go.
regards

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

This is a huge subject, google and youtube are your friends to get to grips with it, even if you arent going to do the work yourself.

Could be cables or rear calipers or both but sadly I doubt adjusting just the adjuster in the car will be all thats needed, live just isnt that good!

Its a very poor design so even if you change the above, the problems will soon come back sadly.

Best to try to use someone with MR2 experience if possible as many garages dont do a good job with them.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”