Looking for opinions before I say goodbye to my beloved MR2 please!

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Roo11
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Looking for opinions before I say goodbye to my beloved MR2 please!

Post by Roo11 »

Hi all,

It's time to say goodbye to my beloved MR2 :crybaby: . I've owned her for 12 years and she's been stored off road for 10 since my son was born. We're now moving house and I have nowhere to store her safely. :bye:

Any ideas on the best way to ensure she goes to a good home or the parts are being put to good use, as well as getting some funds back?

Thanks in advance!

Roo.

MR2, NA, Mark 2, rev 3, t bar in Caribean blue.

Topic author
Roo11
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Re: Looking for opinions before I say goodbye to my beloved MR2 please!

Post by Roo11 »

I have seen a number of members look at my post but no one has any ideas or advice ? ? I would obviously like the car to be used for its intended purpose but I don't think this will be financially viable. The car is all original with all original parts including the infamous sun shades and bags for the glass. I added to this site first as this is my original members club and everyone I use to speak to couldn't wait to help or talk about their MR2s. Alas it seems everyone else has also moved on. I will leave the post up and check in 48hrs if no replies then I wish you all well and good luck with the cars that bring a smile to so many of our faces. ( or use to : ( )

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jeff »

whilst i cant argue that the club isn't as active as bygone ages
your question is how to ensure the car goes to a good home.
that's pretty much impossible to answer, only way is to sell it to someone you know
i understand that you have had it many years and its like part of the family , but you have to move on in life, just advertise it, take the money

time is a great healer
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Your not exactly giving much info to base an opinion on, stored inside or out? bodywork condition? MOT? does it run ? when did it last run ? brakes ? how much?
If you don't have the room to store it then you won't be able to break it for parts, which only leaves you the option of selling it for spares (or depending on condition as a project car.
You could put and ad in the Classifieds https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/classifieds.html costs nothing and may attract an enthusiast looking for a project. If you put it on ebay then the odds are that it end up in the hands of one of the mr2 breakers.
Things have changed somewhat since you were last here, there's a lot less MR2's (and consequently owners) about, the club is a lot quieter much the same as most online car forums, so don't expect instant answers the way it used to be those days are gone.
Having said that the club is still active with currently 300+ Full Members :cool1:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MacroMR2

Post by MacroMR2 »

Hello, I bought my mark 2 MR2 through an auction on www.themarket.co.uk about 18 months ago .

They seem very professsional, but mostly deal with well looked after classic cars rather than projects.

Good luck with your sale.

Regards

Mike

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

It all depends on the state the car is I really and where in the country you are, I would try for a MOT test just to see wheres it at. I understand you pain about storage in New homes.
The wife and myself are looking at moving and finding the space for the 2 MR2 and the tools from our home workshop has been fun.
Where are you based?

Dave
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

putting it through an mot is a good idea. if it passes you can get more money, if it fails you can advertise it with a jobs list for getting it back on the road so that any prospective owner knows what they are getting into. if you can't be bothered with that an ebay auction with no reserve and as much detail of the car as possible supplemented with videos you can send over wsapp, as well as marketing the link on facebook groups for as much coverage as possible, will likely get you a handy figure. andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Location Camberley from your profile.
think people need bit more info as said above
NA , Turbo, tin top , T bar body work etc etc etc.

Took me near 2 years to finally put my 14 year ownership V6 SW20 up for sale. also as said they do become part of you and your family but if its the right time its the right time.
No regrets here apart from missing J.A.E whist friends were there

MOT to see whats what. Then you can sell it as usable 2 or project.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”