Springs and things. BC vs Eibach?

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
hermit
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 28
MR2's Owned: 1

Springs and things. BC vs Eibach?

Post by hermit »

Trusting people are well out there? Haven’t been on site for a disgraceful time so apologies in advance (me thinks probably over fifteen years). :blush: .Here to pick your craniums over a conundrum I’m in, a problem bought to head by impending MOT.

All below relates to an SW20 N/A UK rev1 which was my everyday since 1995 but has been in semi retirement for the last ten years. :th:

Noticed the old girl has started weeping from F/O/S shock. Had N/S replaced about ten years ago (3k miles). Now I’d usually go to Toyota with this sought of thing, as I did before (no garage, no flat hard standing), however MrT cannot help, despite my full service custom and parts source for the last 120k miles :ranting1: . And having trawled around the usual suspects for parts can see their point (a bit). Assume the difficulty is that rev1s have different shock dimensions to all other revisions :bleh: . Problem is where to source the correct parts plus the expense of ancillaries which on the last MrT comparable invoice topped £400 on parts alone (2011) :shocked: .

On my meanderings about the internet a number of peeps seem to be swapping out the entire shock set up for coil overs, BC racing seemingly a perennial favourite for value and performance. Trouble is if I went this route would it adversely affect the ride as in comfort. I use the car for only the occasional B road jaunt (out grown the blast it stage, been there, done that). So as you can tell I’m veering toward standard maybe a slightly tighter set up. SLIGHTLY, not jarring and crashing through our scarred roads :no: .

Another ingredient to chuck in the pot is the fact that some twenty years ago I bought a new set of Eibach ProKit springs, from a suspension stockist. These units where/are label for MR2 W2 as opposed to AW1, but with markings up and including year 90. Was unable to find any code to match these in UK as Eibach didn’t officially supply units for SW20, at least until later revisions. Code number is one digit down on US ProKit for later revisions and nothing like the AW11 code. Strangely have ascertained through much internet trawling of MR2 club sites that these springs we’re fitted to SW20s club owners in Europe, specifically France and Germany. Both dimensionally and visually they appear to be for SW20.
Why the odd code number? My logic runs that these springs where for a reduction of 25mm in road height from standard rev1. With the introduction of the rev2 Eibach had to reappraise and countered with another 25mm reduction, hence the re coding to those still on sale in US. Have downloaded a picture for your thoughts on the above. AW11 or SW20 springs?

So back to my problem. If you bear in mind hopefully I’ll be around to enjoy MR for another twenty odd years what should I do?

1, Rebuild components with patterned parts plus all bits and bobs? Could be an expensive option in the long term if other corners start to fail (120k on backs)?
2, BC Coilovers. Unsure of ride combination and initial all in cost though long term better option?
3. Eibach coupled with probably Koni shocks (bilstien costs :crybaby: ). It’s not just the springs and shocks, it’s going to be the ancillaries which hike this out of reach I think? And is the expense worth the ride over the coil overs?

So your opinions on the above. I know it might be a bit crass to talk such expense at this present time of hardship (believe me I probably won’t be eating for a couple of months to pay for any of the above) but I’m trying to balance whether just repair or look to future proof MR. :confused1:

Another point anypeeps know of a suspension chappie or lassie to help fit the above?

Hermit.
Attachments
9F5FBB40-D9CF-4380-BBF1-82C31D3879EA.jpeg
9F5FBB40-D9CF-4380-BBF1-82C31D3879EA.jpeg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 53 times
E4692207-F6B2-402F-9AC0-BF81612886F1.jpeg

nick

Re: Springs and things. BC vs Eibach?

Post by nick »

Went for BC coilovers and am very pleased with them. Spec'd the softer spring option. On their settings the car sits about 20 mm lower which is fine. On softest shock settings the ride in no worse than the original factory one.

On track with the shocks turned up a bit the car is pretty good.

If you are going to change springs and shocks I would go for coilovers

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Springs and things. BC vs Eibach?

Post by peteV6R5 »

nick wrote: 04/07/22 11:59 Went for BC coilovers and am very pleased with them. Spec'd the softer spring option. On their settings the car sits about 20 mm lower which is fine. On softest shock settings the ride in no worse than the original factory one.

On track with the shocks turned up a bit the car is pretty good.

If you are going to change springs and shocks I would go for coilovers
Agree with above, I went BCs but with higher spring loads due to the heavy 3VZ V6 engine.
Loved them and agree with +5 all round no worse than stock ride for normal use
+15 and +2 more rear .track dependant as example Silverstone was so smooth I was up at +22 / +24 out of 30

However if you want to remain stock then have a look or rings these guys
https://www.tcbparts.co.uk/
if they aint got it then its probably not available
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Discussion”