BOVs on Rev1 & Rev2 Tubbys

Topic author
jdbecks
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jdbecks »

A few people here who don't quite understand why you can run into problems when using a BOV / Dump valve etc etc on a rev1 and rev2 cars despite manufactures claiming the said bov is designed to run with a AFM.

quite simply on rev1 and rev2 cars the stock system works by dumping the air back into the intake tract after the AFM, with a vent to atmosphere bov installed the air is dumped to atmosphere whilst the ECU deos not know that there is less air in the system than first measured.

and a quote from Chris Wilson who builds his own race cars, this is about skylines but it has the same layout as the rev1 & rev2 with the air being dumped back into the intake tract after the AFM.
In case folks are wondering WHY this is so, I feel I should re post the article I drafted when I was experimenting with my Skyline set up, the principle of which holds good for all air flow metered turbo engines one may be tempted to fit a vent to atmosphere BOV to.

----------

For those sick of reading about my blow off valve saga, stop right now. For those who would learn from my mistakes read on ;-) To those that proffered advice, sincere thanks, it's been an interesting learning curve.

The following is based on my Skyline experience, with air usage measured by air flow meters before the turbos. It is not applicable to cars that solely use a MAP sensor and throttle angle for air measurement. To recap I put in a bigger intercooler and the standard Skyline duct that runs across the lower front of the car taking dumped air from the 2 blow off valves to the intake between the air flow meters and the twin turbo inlets was masking air exiting the lower 4 rows of the new IC.

Having spent a good deal of money on this item it pained me to see some of effectively blanked off. So I decided to blank the inlet off altogether where the cross pipe entered the turbo inlet ducting, remove the cross pipe and vent to atmosphere. The dump valves were being held open at idle by the idle vacuum level, so after ages of pondering i made a set up of solenoids to control when vacuum was applied to the dump valves. This set up worked perfectly. *HOWEVER* a much more serious problem occurred, which any similarly inducted turbo car will potentially suffer if the boost air is dumped to atmosphere rather than as standard into the air intakes after the AFM (s). On the overrun, after a period of boost running, the standard set up will recirculate the excess boost back into the turbos, through the IC, and back through the dump valves to the turbo inlet again until the turbos inertia has slowed them to the point of little or no boost. The AFM's do not see any more air entering the engine, as it is being recirculated.

However, when we dump to atmosphere, that air is lost from the system and the turbos draw in fresh air via the AFM (s). This causes the engine to go mad rich, as the throttles are closed and no fuel is really needed. Hence the black smoke seen on the overrun after my mods.
Worse still was a noticeable but very short period of detonation when coming hard back on the throttle. This puzzled me totally, then it dawned. As the fuel system started working normally again the Lambda sensor "caught up" with what was happening, saw a very overly rich mixture, and shut down the injector pulse width, creating a very lean mixture, causing a brief, but very dangerous period of detonation!

I spent the afternoon and evening making new bracketry for the IC, new hoses and adaptors and shifting the IC forward that critical 40 mm or so, enabling me to fit the original moulded duct from the BOV's behind the IC without blocking it. Quite a lot of work and fabrication...
However, the mod I was planning could well have caused damage, and is certainly something to be very aware of if one has a similar AFM pre turbo set up changed to dump boost to atmosphere. The type of BOV matters not, it's the fact that the air no longer re circulates but is lost from the system, confusing the AFM (s) into thinking the engine is wanting more air/fuel mixture. An oscilloscope on the O2 sensors confirmed what was happening. We live and learn, often the hard way, but in this case not as hard a lesson as it might have been. I hope this helps, I searched the web long and hard for references to BOV problems, and failed to find any details of why dumping to atmosphere on none MAP sensor systems, that aren't mapped for this, is potentially dangerous.

on Rev3+ cars they have a map sensor located after the location where the air is dumped back into the intake tract and do not suffer from this problem. This is not a post to say do not fit one, but to make you aware that you may run into using one, and to explain how the system works. it seems some cars run ok others do not. if you do want one I would recommend getting a HKS SSQV as it uses the same method of sealing as the stock dump valve and is not prone to leaking under boost or even at Idle.
Last edited by jdbecks on 28/04/09 19:48, edited 3 times in total.

Revision 4 GTS
CLICK ME!

TubbyTwo

Re: BOVs on Rev1 & Rev2 Tubbys

Post by TubbyTwo »

Made it a sticky :th:

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

TubbyTwo wrote:Made it a sticky :th:
Should this be a candidate for KY2?

TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

I don't see why not, people are always asking about this :)

madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

I agree with and understand everything this guy is saying, it all makes perfect sense.

I'm still not taking my dump valve off my rev2 though, it runs perfectly and has been on there for at least 5 or 6 years. No black smoke on overrun, no popping/banging, flaming, detonation, and my AFR gauge tells a happy story.

I'm not denying that it can cause problems, just that personally I have not experienced them.

Good shout for it to become a sticky though!!

Topic author
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

I was just posting information on why it can cause problems, lots of people run vent to atmoshere bovs on rev1 and rev2s, some worse than others
Revision 4 GTS
CLICK ME!

madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

jdbecks wrote:I was just posting information on why it can cause problems, lots of people run vent to atmoshere bovs on rev1 and rev2s, some worse than others
I getcha, its valuable info to, good work :th:

I must just be lucky!!!

branty

Post by branty »

yup had a dump valve on my rev 2 when i bought it and couldnt understand why it backfired misfired and just general popping everywhere. a must for KY2. although i went the other way and had a rev 3 conversion so i could put the valve back on :D

RazMR2

Post by RazMR2 »

I have been using HKS SQV BOV on my rev2 powered rev1 for a year now with no problem at all..

organgrinder

Post by organgrinder »

shinny wrote:
TubbyTwo wrote:Made it a sticky :th:
Should this be a candidate for KY2?
As long as people think to look at the KY2 as most dont, nice post anyway jd mate :th:

Snulty
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Snulty »

my rev2 does the odd pop now & again when i come of the juice & then go back on, using a blitz dump valve. This is the reason? some1 told me it was my exhaust & its normal?

Topic author
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

its fairly normal on a de catted tubby, with the stock bov your just be running a little rich than normal, if you have the cat on and stock exhaust its not normal

some cars are effected worse than others when having a vent to atmos bov fitted
Revision 4 GTS
CLICK ME!

StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

jdbecks wrote:Toyota name the stock bov "Turbocharging pressure VSV"
No they don't, the T-VSV is NOT the blow off valve. The blow off valve isn't shown on that diagram.

Snulty
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Snulty »

so the popping isnt gonna damage my car?

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”