BOVs on Rev1 & Rev2 Tubbys

StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

My point you're missing is the standard BOV is NOT good for sealing due to how it operates as I've described above. I'm speaking from experience since I've had this very problem with the standard BOV myself along with a few others I'd spoken to about it at the time!

We're going round in circles, so we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :th:

EDIT:
Did you have the HKS venting to atmosphere Toochi? If so, it should run better on the standard one since it's now in recirc. When you up the boost though, you MIGHT find it problematic for the reasons I've mentioned so it might be worth buying a recirc kit for the HKS SSQV instead if you still have it. You might not have problems, but mine certainly didn't like 15psi.

Topic author
jdbecks
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jdbecks »

yes I do disagree, I think and many others think the HKS SSQV bov is the best aftermarket bov you can get as it is a pull type, and the best bov is stock, infact the majority of the US mr2 owners also think this, and the only reason to get a aftermaket bov is for the noise,

but thats just what they think,

www.mr2oc.com

infact Ill make a post on there and ask them
Revision 4 GTS
CLICK ME!

StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

Like I say, some are problematic with increased boost, maybe just down to age.

I am one of the few who didn't buy the HKS soely for the noise. In fact, when plumbed in to recirc, it's actually near silent, even quieter than the standard one in recirc! On mine the standard one was sometimes leaking boost ever since I made the intake and exhaust flow better. Mine's a rev 3 though, so that meant it was seeing about 15psi. The US MR2's never got past the 2nd generation of the engine (rev 1 and rev 2 spec), so they were only going over 12psi boost if they were quite modified anyway.

I've said my bit anyway, rare or not it can happen with the standard BOV's. At least now there's some info on here as to why it can happen.

Topic author
jdbecks
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jdbecks »

well if you have a faulty bov its going to give you problems regardless of the boost, they can fail, my previous rev3 tubby was running 18psi for over a year through the stock bov with no problems,

they may not have had the gen3 engine but there are plenty of gen3 engines or conversions been done.
Revision 4 GTS
CLICK ME!

StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

Fair enough, mine was fine before the boost rose but as soon as it flowed better it became problematic, possibly old age like I say. All I was trying to say is the standard ones are more prone than a good aftermarket BOV due to how they operate, i.e the standard ones aren't soely dependant on the spring. :th:

daveg-ltd

Re: BOVs on Rev1 & Rev2 Tubbys

Post by daveg-ltd »

MBland wrote:
StuartTheFish wrote:
jdbecks wrote:Toyota name the stock bov "Turbocharging pressure VSV"
No they don't, the T-VSV is NOT the blow off valve. The blow off valve isn't shown on that diagram.
:th: i always thought the t-vsv was basically toyotas boost management i.e limits the boost in 1st and 2nd and gives the set amount of boost in other gears nothing to do with bov
You are quite right, the T-VSV only limits the boost, anyway I'm running a forge dump valve on my st185 gt4 with no problems whatsoever even with the boost turned upto 1bar, as said before some engines don't seem to be affected.

themightyo

Post by themightyo »

So, a HKS SSQV with recirc will not cause the rich/lean running that a vent-to-atmosphere BOV would, and should also get rid of my goose honk?
ie: HKS SSQV + recirc is better than stock?

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Yes mate, any bov that is set to recirc will cure the over rich running on a rev 1/2 . It's because you are meter the already metered air back in to the system. It's only vta type setups that can cause the problems as you are effectively 'dumping' the unused air from the intake but the fuelling has already been predetermined to suit to air you've just got rid of ........ if that makes any sense at all !

People say the ssqv vta is better than the others for the early cars but I think it's a bit more to personal preference.

If you have an uprated turbo (hybrid) with steel blades, i've been led to believe from a well known tuning company that you can actually 'bung' the original stock recirc hole up (off the hard pipe) but i'm not sure how true that is. Apparently you can't do it with ceramic blades as it could cause them to shatter - it's only something I was told, I won't be trying it my car but maybe someone knows more about it ?
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

StuartTheFish

Re: BOVs on Rev1 & Rev2 Tubbys

Post by StuartTheFish »

themightyo wrote:So, a HKS SSQV with recirc will not cause the rich/lean running that a vent-to-atmosphere BOV would, and should also get rid of my goose honk?
ie: HKS SSQV + recirc is better than stock?
Yes mate, on both counts. :th:

The goose honk issue is the only reason I even got an aftermarket BOV.

themightyo

Post by themightyo »

Right. Anyone got one for sale, cos that "hhuuuurrrrrrnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkk" really gets on my tats.

themightyo

Post by themightyo »

Oh, and I take it they're easy fit and go in the stock location...?

StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

Yes, provided you get the MR2 fitting kit and recirc fitting kit to go with it.

01slangford

Post by 01slangford »

Anyone any pics of these fitted as my 2 doesnt have a bov or standard one so not sure how to fit it.

StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

Here's mine plumbed into recirc:

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”