MK2 sill repair

Topic author
TrevMk2

MK2 sill repair

Post by TrevMk2 »

PLEASE NOTE MY MR2 IS THE SUNROOF VERSION the T Bar's and have extra strength within the sill. Please see https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/198/129640.html for images of T-bar sills.

Hello everyone,
After failing the MOT on both rear sill areas, I didn't know what to do, get another MK2 and put all my new parts on that or repair the rear end. She past everything else in the test so I thought it would be a shame to give up on her, so I decided to have a closer look, oh hell!

This is the O/S sill rear section cut out to show even more corrosion. There was some sponge in this area, sound proofing stuff that's got some corrosion stuck to it, this will not be going back in as I think this could of started the corrosion off.

Over the last couple of months I've been having a go at sorting the sills out. Thought I'd show how I've had a go, and it's a work in progress so I'll take pic's and let you know how I get on, it's not perfect mind!

After reading about which sill's are best to use, I decided to buy both Ford Fiesta and Ford KA sill's to see which would be the best to match up to a section taken from the original. They would both need work to match the original profile, but I'll start work on fabricating repair panels for the inner parts first.
Here's a few pic's to show the difference.

Profile of the original

Ford Fiesta sill

Ford KA sill

It's starting to look like an Airfix kit! I've fabricated these 20 gauge mild steel sheet parts from templates that I've made and painted them with zinc primer to keep them from rusting up. I've done both O/S and N/S when I've been using certain tools it was easier to make the other side while that tool was being used, plus I'd forget how I managed to do certain fabrications if I didn't!

O/S and N/S parts that I think I'll need. Had a go at making the sill but I think I'll be using the Fiesta or KA ones because I want to replace the full length.

The holes are belled out for strength and drainage the smaller ones are for spot welding them in. (rear N/S)

(rear N/S)

Repair for the inner lower wheel well area, the part to the right will be where the sill end gets welded to. (rear N/S)

(rear O/S)

The sill will be joggled at the end and this part welded on to finish the sill end. (rear N/S)

Build up of the parts. (ignore the sill)

Started to weld things in. (rear O/S) Coated again to keep the rust at bay.

Welding from this side is better I think, because the other side just has the penetration to grind down and looks better.

Just need to grind some bits and I've got something good to fit the new sill to.

Well that's how far I've got up to so far, I think I'll see if I can shape the Fiesta or KA sill's to the original profile next.
So if anyone can give any extra advice it would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Trev
Last edited by TrevMk2 on 28/01/10 21:04, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Jakeyboy

Re: MK2 sill repair

Post by Jakeyboy »

Gotta say mate fair F***in play to ya! :clapping:
Alot of people would have given up after looking further into it, I know I would . I genuinely wish you the best of luck I hope it all turns out how you want it too :th:
Inspirational stuff!

Topic author
Mr Blue

Post by Mr Blue »

Good work mate i couldn't do something like that i would have to pay someone to do it :rolleyes:

Topic author
Woodsmith

Post by Woodsmith »

An excellent bit of work there. :clapping:

Did you find any ways of improving the sill aside from covering everything with paint? Improving drainage, strength and so on?

I reckon you could have made a few more 'kits' while you were metal bashing and recovered some of your costs. :th:

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi Woodsmith, I've noticed the Fiesta sill has a crease running all the way along it which would increase it's strength, think you can see it on the pic above. The sill will also have the drainage holes drilled in the original positions and then belled outwards again increasing it's strength around these holes, I think!

I'll be painting the full length of the inner and outer sills with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator leaving an inch and a half unpainted around the edges, I don't want it igniting when I start welding, then when the sill is on I'll put the cavity wax in.
Last edited by TrevMk2 on 05/11/09 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

mine had rotted in the exact same way, luckily the inner sill was sound, but the outer was goosed, rust was cut out and a new piece welded in................and passed the MOT today so all good.......were going to see more mr2's with this problem unfortunately due to age, so someone could fill the niche in the market and get some mr2 sills pressed !!!!

Topic author
mckenziecz

Post by mckenziecz »

good luck, I guess you saving quite a lot of money, I paid £520 for mine to be done, Fiesta sills aswell :D

Topic author
Woodsmith

Post by Woodsmith »

TrevMk2 wrote:I'll be painting the full length of the inner and outer sills with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator leaving an inch and a half unpainted around the edges, I don't want it igniting when I start welding, the when the sill is on I'll put the cavity wax in.
When I was working on my first MGB I did the same thing in preparing the sills in advance. I also added extra reinforcement for the jacking point and increased the size of drain holes.

Unfortunately, I had only tack welded the sills in place for setting up and then left it for a while, my brother then Waxoyled the sills thinking I had finished.
When I went back to finish the welding each drain hole turned into a downward facing flame thrower. I nearly chargrilled myself! :annoyed:
:laughing

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hello, just an up date on progress, I only get to the car on Saturday's so only spend about 4 or 5 hours on her, so the progress isn't that great, but here goes.
I was thinking of shaping the Fiesta or KA sill this week, but decided to prepare the sill area first so that everything is out of the way and I know what I need cover.
I took another section from the sill, but this time I've cut so I get the top that curves over.

I'm pleased I decided to replace the full length of the sill, it didn't look too bad from the outside, but when I cut it out this is what I found.

The inner sill was in great shape with just a few bits of surface rust, it looks to quite thick metal in these areas, wire brush in the drill sorted the suface rust out, then painted it with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, this is quite thick stuff so it looks a bit lumpy, but It'll do it's job and once covered by the sill and then cavity waxed, I'll be happy.

Rear O/S area.

Front O/S area.

Centre area.

The edge where it will be plug welded along the bottom is in good order, the paint will need to be remover off the edge before welding.

Seat belt bolt area also in good order

Trimmed the edges, so ever thing is clean ready for the sill.

Topic author
Mr Blue

Post by Mr Blue »

Like i said before mate good job i think you could make yourself some cash out of this if you made a ,template ;) ;)

Topic author
weight

Post by weight »

I would be interested if you started producing a kit as well. Even to put away for a couple of years for when the time comes.

Topic author
RSTA

Post by RSTA »

Just wondering why nobody seems to use Toyota sill repair panels? I had a handed pair but my fabricator made complete new (thicker) sills from them as a pattern so I had them left over. I couldn't shift them on afterwards so they went in the bin in the end -but surely using proper ones would be allot less hassle?

....unless they're obsolete now but they weren't a couple of years ago.

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi weight, I don't have the time to produce a kit but I've been working on producing some plans from the templates, if any members would be interested in these they could download them as a PDF, as long as everyone understands that these are just a guide to the amount of metal that I've used, it would be a good idea to print them off, cut them out and try them up against their repair area making any adjustments before cutting any sheet metal. Don't have these PDF's finished just yet but if you're interested in having a look at these just let me know.

Hi RSTA, I did think of the Toyota sills but these don't cover the rear area and I'm not too sure how far it goes to the front of the sill, any way these I believe are around £70 + each which is not too bad, but with two kid's, recession, Christmas and not forgetting the financial adviser (wife), I'm trying my best to get the job done to the best of my ability at the best price, having said that, if you'd still had yours I'd have bought them off you.

Just another up date, after cutting the ends off and trying to curve the sill to more like the profile, I tried to fit the fiesta sill on and found that the rear just after the rear end of the door it just didn't have enough metal to meet the bottom lip, it's just my opinion and if anyone can advise on fitting the Fiesta sill please let me know. If anyone has them fitted and would be willing to show some pic's of the results it would be appreciated.

After looking at the KA sill, it's got a lot more metal to play with, and out of the two I think with a bit of bending to the shape of the profile this one could work, again If anyone has them fitted and would be willing to show some pic's of the results it would be appreciated.

Topic author
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

For reference the Toyota sill repair patch is intended for use along the flat part of the sill in the door gap, and wraps round from the bottom spot welds up to the ones on the top, and includes holes in the correct locations for the plastic sill clips etc. If you look on the upper seam where all the panels from the sill are sandwiched and spot welded (between the door pillars) you will see 2 small notches near either end. This is the length of the repair piece, between these notches.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”