How To:- Pair an Mk2 MR2 Alarm Fob (Factory)

KeischiiFan

Re: How To:- Pair an Mk2 MR2 Alarm Fob (Factory)

Post by KeischiiFan »

Re: Replacement of Siren...

Well, thanks again Captain - I was guessing that I could buy any type of replacement w00-w00 and have it howling after a two-wire connection, but I've seen what seems to be a bit of a multi-plug fitting on the Toyota ones on eBay. I'll do just as you recommend, get a recent horn and double-bag it. (I'm used to double-bagging). ;)

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Seanie wrote:Hi all
Sorry to resurrect an old thread

Do you have any info on the two button fob. What battery is it.
D I have to change the battery within ten seconds or something.

Also is there any options by pressing buttons more than once or holding them down or is it basic ones and close only.

Cheers all
Hi Seanie,

When I opened up my alarm fob (as per one of the duff methods of pairing them) I did read a warning inside that the battery-change must be done inside of ten minutes, or the fob will lose it's 'rolling-code' connection with your system. This looked like it would be very easy, there's nothing special about getting the battery out. It's a Cr2025 Lithium 3Volt 'coin' cell, and I've just ordered a pack of 4 Duracell from ebay for just £2.20 inc. postage! I think I'll get ANOTHER fob, to give me four, renew the batterys, pair them all and then fit a replacement h0wler.

Topic author
eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by eringobragh »

Alarm siren uses a connector similar to this, infact i'm almost 100% my replacement came from a RAV4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-RAV-4- ... 2577fd4371

The MR2 mk3 toyota sirens 100% work AFAIK

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Thanks AGAIN for your wisdom - I searched for 'MR2 alarm' and I've found this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breaking-2002 ... 1c32a4c63e

- A very clean and tidy looking Mk3 MR2 h0wler, and it's very local to me - I may be able to pull my dead one and 'Go-c0mpaaaare' plugs before bidding/sealing a deal. Incidentally, I'm just guessing that the new h0nker COULD be located in the dry environment of the 'frunk', with the wiring led thru to it - I'm sure it would still be plenty l0ud, wouldn't it? Or just double-bag it under the wheel-arch as you've done?

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

KeischiiFan wrote:Thanks AGAIN for your wisdom - I searched for 'MR2 alarm' and I've found this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breaking-2002 ... 1c32a4c63e

- A very clean and tidy looking Mk3 MR2 h0wler, and it's very local to me - I may be able to pull my dead one and 'Go-c0mpaaaare' plugs before bidding/sealing a deal. Incidentally, I'm just guessing that the new h0nker COULD be located in the dry environment of the 'frunk', with the wiring led thru to it - I'm sure it would still be plenty l0ud, wouldn't it? Or just double-bag it under the wheel-arch as you've done?
Been there - done that :laughing ...I tried and relocated to the frunk and its not nearly loud enough, in the wheel arch its ear piercing! :th:

Double bag - punch a hole each side for the bolts and stick some duct tape on tope then and cable tie bag on the lead and the back - hope that makes sense but I've no issues and done this well over a year ago!

Its worth checking the plastic lining as well some of mine had broken off at some stage so I swapped it out.

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Some years back, I fitted an alarm into an Opel Ascona I had, with a horn just behind the dashboard AND a 55Watt driving lamp tucked in there too - the lamp was behind a thick piece of toughened glass, protecting it from attack (short of handgun!) if you'd been trying to steal the car or stereo. I'd think it would be uncomfortable in a car cabin with that level of noise and light coming at you. I might rig this up for my Alfa soon.

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi, I'd just like to say HUGE THANKS again to the guy who started this thread - 'Eringobragh' you are a STAR, Sir! I've been busy, and not a little scared about my ability to do this and get it right - what if my fob isn't paired anymore, and none of the other ones pair? Anyway, there was nuuuthing to worry about, as following your instructions worked an absolute charm. HEY, TOYOTA, that's a **** of a lot of hassle to get to push ONE little button - why not require us to take all the wheels & brake discs off at the same time, and maybe pull the gearbox whilst we're about it, huh, Huh, HUH?? :bleh:
I paired THREE more fobs, so I have my daily use fob & key (set A) and IF I lose them, I can locate the key stashed on the exterior of the car, use it to open the door, and get at a spare plipper (call them set B) - This STILL leaves me with set C, also stored in the cabin, which become the first set of hidden spares. AND I still have another plipper at home. Overkill? Perhaps, but that's just how I roll, given the alternative.

Sal00ts-y00, Sir. I really really couldn't have done it without you. :notworthy:

*EDIT* It's still a 'silent-alarm' - (one of my favourite oxymorons, along with 'disaster-management' and 'damage-control') so s00n I'll pull that wheel-arch liner and change the siren for one that actually h0nks - but it's great to know I have full control of the immobiliser, come what may.

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

^ Cheers lad...I'm on my next part of the project I've gotten a blank chipped key and trying to work out how to program the fecker...so far no instructions have worked...I will persevere! :D

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

eringobragh wrote:^ Cheers lad...I'm on my next part of the project I've gotten a blank chipped key and trying to work out how to program the fecker...so far no instructions have worked...I will persevere! :D
...and persevere I have :th: , got the key paired with the car (mk2 revision 5) - key is exact same looks wise as the OEM one and only €10! I will do a write up when I get a chance

Chuffed as I spent €65 on the ugliest key ever designed when I first got the car :yahoo:
3 working keys now :notworthy:

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

Info on pairing the transponder key to MR2 here:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/198/15827 ... 1#p1665989

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

AARRGHH!!!!

After all THAT, it seems my plippers aren't having their signal acted upon by the TVSS any more! OK, I just STILL haven't got round to fitting a replacement horn on it, and I've long noticed that you need to be REAL close to the car to get a response from the fobs, but as of today it doesn't seem to want to work at all. Am I going to have to go coal-mining into that dash-board again, and remove the master ECU (the box I had to push the button on, to pair the plippers?) If so I'll have to get all the DIP-switches on the replacement box just-so, and then re-pair all my plippers to it. Or is it even more complicated than that?

I think I find I usually have got the time to pfaff about with cars to add trinkets, and certainly to service them. It's when bits of them fail and NEED attention that I seem to take it personally. What do you say, Maestro? Your thoughts appreciated.

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

Nope once they are paired with ECU before your grand - ok trick here is to stand at the front of the car and hold in the 2 buttons of the fob together at the same time for a few seconds - ,the indicators will flash (that'll resync the fob with the car)- infact I used this method first hand with the one fob that came with the car

The signal is shocking I think an aerial or some antenna needs to be soldered to the ECU

BTW thanks a mill for sending me on the fob - haven't got around to pairing it yet but I've ordered a forth on ebaty last week so I'll sync up the 2 of them when I get a chance :th:

KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi yet again,

I'm an idiot. No, I'm THE idiot. The reason why my plipper wasn't working, was that I'd left the boot juuuuust open enough to get the light on in there, and my battery was pancake-flat. I found that out on Monday morning when I got in and turned the key to deafening silence, but luckily had a spare (smaller) battery I'd got for £15 from a local breakers (just to move a couple of my old Opels about in the garden - I'm kinda playing Tetris, digging dirt out from behind them, concreting my garage slab and then rolling them back onto it, and digging to concrete in front of them). The small battery was very clean and fresh, and TBH I fitted it last week and forgot all about it, I'll dig my charger out and revive it (hopefully) - perhaps its' extra beef will be better for shifting the garden art around. Oh, but yesterday my key-fob (item A) failed to work, I think it may be the battery. I just opened the car and took item B out of the glove box, with a smug grin on my face. C is also in the car, and D lives at home, just in case.

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by sinjen »

Would any 2 button fob on eBay work or is it a specific Toyota fob only job?

Cheers
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”