Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Topic author
rob

Re: Save your Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Post by rob »

I have been chatting with Ryan on PM's about how moisture is actually getting into this sponge filled area and we need to understand something - does anyone know about the following:

1/ It was mentioned in another thread that water gets behind the quarter light seals and leaks into the sponge filled area. This would lead to the sponge holding water and sagging down to the bottom where it may block some sort of weep hole (or maybe Toyota didn't expect water to get in here - hence the sponge inclusion). Now I have no idea about this as the base of mine was rusted. There could have been a hole, but it could also have just been a corrosion void.

Regardless of removing the sponge, if water gets down there because of ageing seals (which we all now have) then we need to know if there should be a hole to drain water into the lower sill?

2/ Where are the drainage tubes for the roof gutters? Surely they wouldn't go into the foam filled space as that would be a real design mistake?

If anyone has removed their foam and has nice clean sills (stick your phone in, turn the flash on and post up a pic) that would be a huge help!

Cheers :blink:

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Without looking at the t-bar rob, both tintop and moonroof have no drain tubes fr the roof gutters. If you look approx 1/2 way along the rear quarter light window the gutter tapers back into the bodywork. This pushes the water over the roof of the car.

Cannot speak for the t-bar though... and am unsure of drainage from the moonroof hole...
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

Thanks - good start.....

Shame the exploded EPC diagrams dont show enough detail.....

Topic author
Foxystuff

Post by Foxystuff »

Reading this thread has at least confirmed for me that I made the right decision with my sills. Thanks Rob! This were Foxy's earlier in the Summer:
And the inner sills were even worse. A bargain at £400, new sills made up (one of my Dad's ex students, so reckon he did me a great deal) and here she is now:
Preserve the beautiful Zircons! :)

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Great thread.

Completely missed checking info on sills when I bought my MR2, Ive recently noticed they are starting to corrode pretty badly, its noticeable from standing a few feet away.

Will get to work over the coming weeks before something bad happens!

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

^ looking good! Yours were far worse than mine but you got a really good deal.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

I want to have a look at the sponge inserts on my rev 2 tubby.

How easy is it to get to them? Any tips for removing the panel or do I just pull it off?

Cheers
Mad
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

Unscrew the one screw holding on the engine cover release shroud and remove it. lift the cubby hole and pull off the interior panel cover.

Take the 10mm bolt out holding the seatbelt roller chassis top out, then undo the 14mm main bolt at the base. move the seat belt chassis out of the way without allowing it to climb the belt.

Reach down inside and remove the foam

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Cheers, I got it out.
I'm pretty happy with how the foam looks, and although I've not taken the seatbelt out, it feels really clean and not crusty at all :-)

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by pbmr2 »

the shell i just scrapped was really clean and a lot of people said it was one of the cleanest mk2s they had seen. however it also had this rust because of the foam. only on the passenger side but it had started to rot the top of the inner sill. i couldn't push a screwdriver through it but all the paint had flaked off and it must have been not long before a soft patch would have appeared.

i think your doing the right thing with warning people about this foam and getting them to remove it, on both sides of the car.

with bodywork you allways get what you pay for and you got a good job done, glad to see it's still on the road for years to come!
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

cosmos
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by cosmos »

The roof drains are rubber tubes that exit the rear body behind the black plastic vent/grill at the rear of the quarter light window. £39ish will buy one quarter window sealing kit from Toyota. The rubber gaskets around the rear quarter window would appear to seal when the metal perimeter window band comlete with studs and nuts is tightened this does "NOT" seal, always yes ALWAYS a sealing solution is NEEDED never rely on the rubber seal as its a bodyshell and discrepancies are inevitable !! A leaking rear quarter window runs down the inner wheelarch radius into under the tool/cubbybox then finds a pressed floor strenghtening channel and runs down to the front of the car into the footwell area.
Good luck with a conclusion,Rob.
Last edited by cosmos on 23/10/11 22:38, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

MadMR2, that is good too see, but stick a camera in there to be sure in case water has got in there but your foam hasn't dropped.

Would also be great to see what yours looks like if perfect!

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

Pbmr2, thanks, yeah I think many will be in for a surprise!

Cosmos, that is great info mate, nice one!

Topic author
madmr2man

Re: Re: Save your Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Post by madmr2man »

rob wrote:MadMR2, that is good too see, but stick a camera in there to be sure in case water has got in there but your foam hasn't dropped.

Would also be great to see what yours looks like if perfect!
Ok rob, will whip the belt out this afternoon and have a look

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”