Went to open my bonnet or frunk whatever you call it and the lever went slack and would not release the bonnet latch. The cable was still attached but very slack inside the car.
Not much help around and clearly a common problem on Mk2. I found work arounds which were no help all assumed the cable had snapped which was not the case for me.
So here's the guide to fix it that I was looking for and never found.
First off identify whats broke with mine the bonnet pull inside the car went slack the cable was still attached in the engine bay but the release would no longer engage and so the bonnet would not pop up.
It turned out to be the plastic / nylon retaining grommet snapped inside the actual latch in the engine bay and not the cable snapping.
takes about 20 - 45 minutes to fix depending on whats broke most time taken by the removal of the wheel liner.
1. Jack up the car at the front and secure on axle stands,you need to be under the front.
2. Under the car at the the front to left of the radiator shine a light and you can see the bottom of the latch
3. locate the small square flap cutaway on the latch in pic 2.
stick a small flat head screwdriver to B [attachment=0]a_b_latch small_txt.JPG[/attachment] and push left and that will release the bonnet.
4. go inside the engine bay and remove the latch secured with two 12mm bolts with a socket, and the anti theft back plate will come off.
5. Inside the cable sits on a flap and the nipple goes to the release arm pic 1.
6. There should be a plastic / nylon grommet holding the cable in place (mine was red) which on mine had broke off.
7. At this point if yours is like mine then unfortunately you need to remove the wheel arch liner as you need access to replace the cable and its easier if the wheel and liner is removed. I would mark or number the bolts so you get the correct ones back in the refit.
8. Inside the car replace the cable feed it through the bulk head over the wheel arch and through the inner wing and under the radiator hose and inside to the latch arms.
9. Refit latch and wheel liner wheel etc.
My car 94 rev 3 and the latch has the sensor inside.