Oil - Cold weather selection

Topic author
nicholasmitchellmr2

Re: Oil - Cold weather selection

Post by nicholasmitchellmr2 »

hi all, iv just sat and read this whole thread very interesting!

oilman, my car is a rev1 turbo with an oil cooler, charge cooler running slightly higher than standard boost. I use the car on the track and quite hard driving on the road, its not a daily driver.

i work for BMW and can get Castrol TWS motorsport oil cheaply, this oil is 10w60 and is used in all our M powered cars. Just wondering if i could use it in my MR2?

Many thanks for any advice!

Topic author
geeman

Post by geeman »

oilman...i was discussing oil choices at work with a couple of the guys, one swears by using fully synthetic turbo diesel oil in his petrol car? any thoughts?

Topic author
zupp

Post by zupp »

geeman wrote:oilman...i was discussing oil choices at work with a couple of the guys, one swears by using fully synthetic turbo diesel oil in his petrol car? any thoughts?
Oilman, could you please respond to Geeman's post, as I also heard the same from a few peeps..they swore by SHELL RIMULA turbo diesel oil in a tubby??????

Topic author
pekwah1

Post by pekwah1 »

Hi oilman,

Bit confused on what oil's best to use if using the car on trackdays?
Do i want something like 10w50?

As i understand, i want a higher 2nd number to do with the viscosity at high temperature?

Thanks.
Andy

Topic author
Doorswideshut

Post by Doorswideshut »

Ha i am a bit warmer then you guys so i have been using 15w50 mobil one. Looks like I'm going to have to go a bit thinner when i go there haha

Topic author
Wardy3gse

Post by Wardy3gse »

Hey, I have just done an oil change on my Mk 2 3sge and all is good but since i have had the car the (top up oil light) has been on and whilst changing the oil i noticed what i thought was a sensor hanging down and not connected. Could anyone point me in the right direction for changing Oil sensors? Thanx Chris

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”