Oil - Cold weather selection

Topic author
b33fy

Re: Oil - Cold weather selection

Post by b33fy »

Hello Mr oilman fountain of oil knowledge,
From January Im starting a job that'll mean driving about 20 miles up the M1 every morning (about 5am) and back (in the evening) every day. I'll be doing this for about 5 months. What do you suggest the best oil might be? Also I'm guessing by the end in May, it would be a good time to change the oil(?)
Rev3 Gt-s turbo import '94
Thanks

Topic author
oilman

Post by oilman »

Is it modified? If not or around stage one then I would go 5w-40 to look after the engine on those cold morning drives.

Cheers

Guy.

Topic author
b33fy

Post by b33fy »

oilman wrote:Is it modified? If not or around stage one then I would go 5w-40 to look after the engine on those cold morning drives.

Cheers

Guy.
Thanks man. There's no major modifications on it (dump valve the only thing engine wise).

Topic author
Duchess

Post by Duchess »

Right lets put this to use !
if we list an application for our car, would you be able to tell us what it the best oil for the car . and how often it should be changed !
I have a few cars !! lol

MR2 NA track car " quite standard " ragged all day never gets turned off on track days. 20w 50 change every 2-3 track days

MR2 Daily hack, gets driven quite hard at times ! 15w 40, change 4- 5 k

Nissan 200sx, daily hack gets driven quite hard at times and track use.10 or 15w 40 change 3-4 k

TVR chimeara, Fun road car and some track use. 15 w 40 . or track 20w 50 change 3-4 k

And a citron zx 1.9 td for when I need to transport things . and when the pennies are few are far between ! ANY THING ! maybe a 10w 40

i was thinking of putting an oil cooler on my TVR would this then drop to say a 5w 40 ?

and all my cars, more so the TVR sits there for TEN mins after start up before driving.

Regards Matt

Topic author
daz.o

Post by daz.o »

What is the best all round oil for a boggo mk2 n/a. I don't do a lot of mileage 120 m.p.wk. I have only had this on the road for a week or so and just getting round to doing all the winter prep. any suggestions.

Topic author
oilman

Post by oilman »

5w-40 synthetic mate.

Have a look at Silkolene and Motul here http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Guy.

Topic author
ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Just changed mine over to Castrol Edge 5w-30, runs really smooth.

Topic author
facefirst

Post by facefirst »

I'm using Mobile 1 0w-40 fully synthetic in my Rev2 Tubby (stock) - I'm about to do a change, but this is good oil to use, no?

Topic author
oilman

Post by oilman »

Yes mate the Mobil 1 0w-40 is ideal.

Cheers

Guy.

Topic author
facefirst

Post by facefirst »

Hello Oilman,

I'm just about to do a change on my Tubby and am wondering if the Mobil 1 10w40 semi synth is up to the job? It's half the price of any fully syths that I have seen...

Comments welcome.

Topic author
oilman

Post by oilman »

Yes it will be fine, you will just need to change it on a much more regular basis and they are not built with hard use in mind.

Cheers

Guy.

Topic author
facefirst

Post by facefirst »

When you put it like that, it seems that it is a false economy in buying cheaper oil - changing it more often will cost the same as using fully synth!

Thanks for the advice!

Topic author
facefirst

Post by facefirst »

1 more Q - can you mix semi and synth oils? Do you need to flush the system 1st? A mate of mine thinks that this is the case, although when doing so managed to bugger up his turbo on his Fiat 20VT (might have been all the rubbish coming out of the system and then around the bearings in the turbo).

However, he seems to think that mixing oils is a bad idea.

Topic author
oilman

Post by oilman »

They mix fine, all oils mix.

The only downside is diluting the better of the two oils.

Cheers

Guy.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”