3S-GE to 3S-GE engine change how2 (finished)

onyx

3S-GE to 3S-GE engine change how2

Post by onyx »

ok thanks bud going to give it a try at the weekend

onyx

Post by onyx »

ok will do! cheers ;)

MOG7

Post by MOG7 »

Great guide, so so simple. Two questions for ya though, the pipe on the drivers side with the clip, the one near the fan about an inch in diameter going into the engine, what is this for? And should i drain it from here or is there somewhere else to drain it from? The subframe? Do the wheels and driveshafts need to be removed as i was planning on doing this in a pit? Which would make it kind of hard to take the wheels off?

Cheers

MOG7

Post by MOG7 »

Ah ye kind of what i thought alright, i have most of the stuff done, apart from a couple pipes and the subframe. A ramp would make things pretty easy but i think i will need an engine crane to, i don't think i'll risk your method lol...

MOG7

Post by MOG7 »

lol, again i have to say congrats on the guide, reallly makes things simple for idiots like me who didn't know what they were looking at before, i really wouldn't have known where to start :th:

sadgav

Post by sadgav »

yup, second that (to the congrats for the guide), my engine is out (tubby isn't much different, just a support bearing for the offside hub and aircon I thnk)

Once again, if anyone near manchester needs a hoist to drop their engine, I have a frame I made lying around.

Gavin.

MOG7

Post by MOG7 »

Sorry mate, i was just finishing off going to lower the subframe last night and mine has a bar running right around it, connected to each suspension strut on each side by an arm, i removed the nut on one side but on the other side the nut just keeps turning but won't come off, bu thats not the problem, i was just wondering was this on your subframe?

MOG7

Post by MOG7 »

Ah cheers mate, i only briefly looked at it the other day but didn't have time to get a proper look at it, got under it again this evening and got it off ok, cheers for the help mate.

active_85

3S-GE to 3S-GE engine change how2 (finished)

Post by active_85 »

This is a master piece, however,
I knotice a distinct lack of the correct bracket on the engine bonet for the sensor.
I got a spare if you need one, the massive cost of a thankyou.
message or pm me.

marsdo53

Re: 3S-GE to 3S-GE engine change how2 (finished)

Post by marsdo53 »

hi, just got to say how impressed i was with the attention to detail, just about to swap my engine, will be very useful!
Do you know if an import engine will fit uk car, i intend to swap over all my sensor's etc from my car to new engine, will just be using block and head.
Again many thanks for the great post! :D

mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

Have never done anything like this before, but with the help of this link i have done it to 3 cars now!It is a really simple job to do now!It saved another mr2 from the scrappers!

mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

wibble wrote:my work here is done, this is just why i did it.

im glad to know its of help to people, next up i hope is the same guide but fitting a V6 when the funds allow
that gets a big thumbs up from me!A diy v6 conversion step by step!

mossy24

Post by mossy24 »

just out of curiousity im thinkin of doin a 3sfe 2 a 3sge engine swap soon on my rev1,im pretty good mechanically but was wonderin will all the main mounts etc be in the same place,in other words will it be as easy(if thats the rite word to use)as a 3sge 2 3sge engine swap?

blancoMR2

Post by blancoMR2 »

Hi Wibble,

Thats a great guide, and as a result you've given me the motivation to have a go myself, was on the verge of scrapping mine, so chalk up another save!!

Wonder if you, or any reader, can help with the following noob question, please. I have a 1990 rev2 NA GLtd import, engine is goosed and needs replacing. How similar are non import and import 3s-ge engines? I guess all mounts are the same, but do I need the correct loom and ECU, or can I leave all the existing wiring and just swap the engine out??

Many thanks :clapping:

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”