The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hello everyone, noticed a small leak last weekend it is coolant and was dripping from the plastic protectors just at the rear of the drivers seat area.
Jacked her up as high as I could, axle stands in and under I went to have a closer inspection, god it was a tight squeeze. looking up at the back of the fuel tank I could see a copper pipe and it was leaking at the brazed securing bracket area. Having read some articles about putting 18mm heater hoses in to by-pass the copper pipes I thought I'd have a look to see where they could go as she was not that high it was difficult, I've just a few questions if anyone can help: Has any one got any photos/drawings of their conversion just to see where the pipes should go? and where do I cut the copper pipe sections to allow the hose to fit and not get in the way of the hose? how did you cut these pipes (not much space under there)?
Here's a picture of the culprit, looking in to the engine bay heat shield removed.
Cheers
Trev

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Sorry to hear it bud, but that's a great picture for all of those who don't know what the pipes from hell are!

I had my garage cut off the pipes about 3 inches below the bracket and replace them with normal coolant hose - any garage should have it lying around.

DON'T bother going with the Toyota replacements as they weep too - it's a design fault as the bracket welds fracture after X thousand miles on all MR2's - just depends how big X is as to when it goes.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

jdbecks
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jdbecks »

hehehe

it only effects rev 1 and 2s hm
Revision 4 GTS
CLICK ME!

Topic author
Chicane

Re: The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

Post by Chicane »

jdbecks wrote:hehehe

Didnt know that. What did they do differently on the later revisions.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

jdbecks wrote:hehehe

It went on my Rev3 Johnathan - and ive seen a rev4 have the mod done too.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi HM thanks for the advice, I'll try to take step by step pic's of my bypass of the PIPES from HELL, you never know it might come in useful to someone in the future! I would like to know which route the pipes should take on the underside of the fuel tank as I'd like to keep it as neat a possible so the plastic protectors don't bulge.
Cheers
Trev

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

I've a Rev 3 and I noticed the slightest weeping from that very spot. (no coolant being lost as I sealed it up with epoxy resin (temparary fix). I'm planning to do the heater hose by-pass over the next month or so. Your 'photo diary' will therefore be very useful.

My thoughts are that cable ties will invaluable to ensure that the hose doesn't sag/kink.

BTW is hose available in 18mm ID? Most people seem to use 19mm ID.
Last edited by gazza1286 on 17/05/08 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi gazza1286, yes you're correct I don't think you can get 18mm heater hose, a member on the imoc forum site has pointed that out to me also, I did read somewhere someone mentioned 18mm but this could have been saying they could have done with this size for a tighter fit! my mistake. :oops:
Cheers
Trev

Topic author
RetroMills

Post by RetroMills »

Yeah thats right its 19mm hose you need. it is a "censored" to do, i done mine a few weeks back. hope i never have to do that again lol.

gazza1286

Post by gazza1286 »

Trev (or anyone whose planning to do - or has done it)

Been thinking further.

Putting a joint behind the heat shield if fraught with danger. I intend having the four connectors on full view. There is little chance of the hose failing so that way any problems will be on view at the joints.

I'm thinking that the metal pipes in the engine bay can be removed altogether and the new hose jointed to the original using two of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=019

They will provide a far more substantial seal. Even better with some jointing compound.

The bracket can still be ustilised and the new setup bolted on with some strapping or similar to keep things rigid. It would still be virtually indistinguishable from stock and there won't be any weak joins behind the heat shield.

What do you think?

Topic author
teamshocknick

Post by teamshocknick »

mine is a rev3 and i have a coolant leak issue which 3s beleave is this problem and are sorting on the 14th may

Topic author
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

i sorted mine without dropping the tank.

got about 12m of 19mm id reinforced heater hose and ran it under the car in the spaces either side of the fuel tank.

Takes a while to thread it all through but well worth it.

I was worried that they would get punctured by stones etc. Been like it since sept last year and there are no visible marks on the pipe.

gazza1286

Post by gazza1286 »

TubbyTwo

Where did you do the joints at the engine bay end? Do you think my thoughts on the propritory joints make sense, or am I being over concerned? What do you think about removing the metal pipes at the engine end?

Topic author
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

the hose i used was too tough to bend so i used to platic rad hose joiners i got from a local motor parts shop.

my metal pipes are still there, i used them to blow water down to work out which was which the in the front compartment.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”