The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

trevsmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

Post by trevsmr2 »

This pipe has an O ring on ,inside the water housing ,the top pipe doesnt sit flush like the bottom one (if these are what you mean?)

I had a bad leak from behind the water pump that took some tracing
(After a garage had changed the pump to sort the leak)

(spot the O ring)

Topic author
playtime

Post by playtime »

aye, thats the one lad, the pipe where the o ring is on. Mine seems to have rusty marks there and the clip holding on the pfhae directly below the thermostat housing was heavily rusty so obviously a leak there too. Also noticed no gasket between the thermostat housing and the end piece that the pipe connects too. Someone needs a beating. Looks like yours was a bad core plug. Knowing my luck, thats my problem, as the amount of stuff I had to remove that the guide doesnt say you have to remove is unreal. Well, at least one positive is the now removed aircon and brackets has saved some weight and given me another 80 hp :bleh:

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

LOL I’ve just started this job, printed off the pics of this mod and looked and thought hmmm this looks different to mine and realised those extra pipes running along with the radiator pipes are flipping aircon pipes so me getting 19mm pipes though the fuel tank and handbrake brackets was going to be a real joy. :confused1:

I’m going to post up extra pics of how i did this as I’m still half way through this job but the aircon pipes require a bit of repositioning, i managed to get my 19mm pipes though with out crushing them but it was tight going, not even a fag paper could get though now, anyway pics to come.

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

Hopefully guys you can get some ideas of some pipe roots with aircon pipes in place by these pics.

This mod is the same as the other pics on here but with the added extra of aircon pipes, now getting your 19mm pipes through where the hand brake and fuel tank brackets are is a bit of a pain, remember that when you putting your pipe though you will need to take off a bit of the rubber jacket that goes around the air con pipes where they go through the fuel and brake brackets other wise you wont get your 19mm pipes though, also you will need to slip the clutch fluid lines down one notch as shown in the pics below this allows you to get the 19mm pipe between the main radiator pipe and the body work with out putting a crip in the pipe your installing.

When it comes to bleeding the system, do it the normal way with the radiator, but when you comes to bleeding the heater valve you will notice that nothing comes out, this is due to the new pipes running under the car instead of running up and over like the old pipes did, so I got around this by sucking the the new coolent through will someone on the filler cap topping it up as I did it, I used about 10 meters of bleed pipe because that gave me enough leighweigh to force bleed the system with out getting a gobfull of antyfreeze lol but job done, my heats now work yay!! :clapping: lol the old heater pipes have come in handy for storing my bleed pipes lol.

Just a quick note by the way, the old pipes are going to be full of water, the best way to get around this is to attach some of your 19mm pipe to the old pipe and then blow the old coolent backwards, do this for both of them, either that or do what I did and put my Wet Vax hoover on the pipes and sucked the pipes dry lol :laughing

I sourced all my piping and joiners from ebay.

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Nice one GMLive, that's fantastic.
Cheers
Trev
:clapping:

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

:th: Just a thought ,for those with air-con who don't use it, or have partially removed it ,could the air-con pipes be utilised as the radiator pipes ?

Oh and in your second pic it looks like you have trapped the accelerator cable ,will this cause any grief

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

trevsmr2 wrote::th: Just a thought ,for those with air-con who don't use it, or have partially removed it ,could the air-con pipes be utilised as the radiator pipes ?

Oh and in your second pic it looks like you have trapped the accelerator cable ,will this cause any grief
The acc cable is fine mate, it looks trapped in the pic but it's fine. :th:

Having done this mod i would best describe it as a good mod but really it's a quick fix :th: , the biggest problem is the heater matrix is a swine to bleed because the new pipes are going "under" instead of the old pipes which were up and over, so the bleed process takes a lot longer, I found out that jacking the back of the 2 up by about a foot helps to speed up the bleed flow to the heater tap, also having your service pipe in the air so the coolant doesn’t run out like the pic below

In the summer I'm going to drop the fuel tank and remove the old pipes and put my new pipes in there place with P Clams.

Topic author
belfastchris

Post by belfastchris »

looks like ill have to tackle this problem now as ive noticed ive been loosing coolant and the undertrays are dripping wet and i can see a small leak at the bracket, original post: http://mr2oc.co.uk/forums/topic.html?f= ... l#p1388996

anyhow ive a couple questions from those that have done it:

- do i have to drain the coolant from the system first?

- do the pipes in the engine bay behind the heat shield have to be cut?
they look bloody awkward to cut and it doesn't look necessary

- once ive run the new pipes through is there a particular order to bleed the system after?
do i do the radiator first and then the heater matrix or both together?

and is 8metres of pipe enough to do both sides?

cheers!
:th: this is a mega helpfull thread!

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

You don't have to drain the coolant but it's advisable (much less mess).

Its best to cut the pipes back behind the heat shield (page 2). The rubber hose needs every bit of space it can get. A junior hacksaw will cut through them in seconds. Putting the 'joint' on the outside of the heat shields is the easiest and best-looking solution.

Bleeding the system is simultaneous (heater and radiator at the same time) - If you don't have the bleed tubes get a length from B&Q (8mm internal diameter).

8m is more than enough - did mine with 7m and still had plenty left.

Topic author
Olly_Mr2

Post by Olly_Mr2 »

How long would you say labour would be on a complete new re route under the car?
How long would you labour would be on a bracket bypass only??
Cheers

Topic author
anut

Post by anut »

well I thought after my day i should add my thoughts..

Ive had 'the leak' in my 56k hardly used mk2 ver1 N/A for about 6 months... Nothing more than a wet patch every week when it gets the occasional trip out to the highlands or tesco.
It went for MOT last week at my local where the lads strongly suggested I had it seen to as it now looked pretty bad.. I was not convinced in my infinate wisdom... (quote £500 fix which I was going to get done untill I searched the forum last week)

So today topped with coolant I did a rare 60 mile commute, and guess what on the way back depsite a top up, the temperature guage thought it was the rev counter and took a startling rapid rise.(it got about 85% to the top). I stopped immediatly fearing the worse.. Long story short I was really lucky and its on my ramps now with undercover stripped and heat shield removed ready for the 'FIX'.

So for anyone thinking of following my footsteps, dont rely on top ups - get it sorted. Ill see how the fix goes over the weekend.
Many thanks to the wisdom posted above hopefully saved me a bunch. :th:

Topic author
mikemr2k

Post by mikemr2k »

lol, i decided to ungarage my mr2 n/a after 7 years under a dust sheet. she was in bad shape. The paint work had been destroyed by a drip from the roof, the tires were flat and split and upon further inspection there was a dry rusty puddle under the car.

ive spent the last 3 weeks fixing various things like the paint work, had to strip the bonnet and wings back to the metal. drilling out bolts that had snapped when i tried to undo them and ordering and fitting new headlights, fog lights and the splash panels.

got everything ready, did a full service, changed the 7 year old petrol and coolant and started her up to find that i had a bad leak coming from under the car. looking further and snapping a few more bolts i found that the rubber hoses had come away under the car for the radiator and that the pipes of hell are leaking really bad where they are tacted above the fuel tank.

my question is !

do you think its better to do the mod from behind the heat shield by the fuel tank or can it be done from where the pipes start in the engine bay?

is it better to replace the whole run from the front to back or just the 6" piece

thanks for any answers and advice you guys can give

mike

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

mikemr2k wrote:
my question is !

do you think its better to do the mod from behind the heat shield by the fuel tank or can it be done from where the pipes start in the engine bay?
I did mine from where the rubber pipes join the engine ,straight through to the front

is it better to replace the whole run from the front to back or just the 6" piece

If you are doing it, do it ,you will struggle to get a good join 6 inches in, and it will just blow off

thanks for any answers and advice you guys can give

mike

Topic author
mikemr2k

Post by mikemr2k »

thanks trevsmr2, was thinking it would be better to do the whole run. will i have to shield the hose where it joins at the engine?

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”