The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

trevsmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

Post by trevsmr2 »

mikemr2k wrote:thanks trevsmr2, was thinking it would be better to do the whole run. will i have to shield the hose where it joins at the engine?

i used some pipe wrap stuff that you put on water pipes for the winter that's all
just get the pipe long enough, so as to form a bend rather than a kink

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Awesome thread which I'm reviving as I'll be attempting this next weekend.

Before then is it possible to 'trick' the car so it uses less coolant and doesn't overheat so much? It's my daily driver so one thing I'll do is not use the heater but what else can I do for now?

Sent using Tapatalk on my Arc S

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

If you want you could put a temporary clamp across both of the rubber hoses which connect to the rigid pipes behind the heat shield. This would stop the flow of all the coolant to the point where it's leaking.

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

kendoskeg wrote:Awesome thread which I'm reviving as I'll be attempting this next weekend.

Before then is it possible to 'trick' the car so it uses less coolant and doesn't overheat so much? It's my daily driver so one thing I'll do is not use the heater but what else can I do for now?

You could join the 2 pipes together ,before they go off behind the heat-shield

trace back the two pipes to the engine ,and join the 2 outlets together ,by-passing the pipes to the heater circuit

this will also tell you if the leak is actually coming from these pipes

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Quick bit of help needed from a very kind forum member with a laptop, there was basically a shopping list for all the required parts for this fix somewhere that I stumbled on but now can't seem to find in tapatalk, can someone point me in the right direction?

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

kendoskeg wrote:Quick bit of help needed from a very kind forum member with a laptop, there was basically a shopping list for all the required parts for this fix somewhere that I stumbled on but now can't seem to find in tapatalk, can someone point me in the right direction?

Have a look from page 2 of this thread

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

You sir are a better man than me.

More weetabix required tomorrow!

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Guys I'm not sure I'll have the time to do this on the weekend but I want to do some sort of preventative measure.

Would it be possible to use a high temp compression fitting in place of the section of pipe that is damaged, at least for now?

trevsmr2

Post by trevsmr2 »

kendoskeg wrote:Guys I'm not sure I'll have the time to do this on the weekend but I want to do some sort of preventative measure.

Would it be possible to use a high temp compression fitting in place of the section of pipe that is damaged, at least for now?

If it is the pipe that is the issue then theres not much else you can do ,the pipe fractures at the join with the mounting bracket ,and access is the issue ,you cant get in enough to cut off prior to the bracket ,and then get a decent join ,also the pipes are thin and squash too easy to get any sort of coupler on

as a temporary measure i would join the pipes together at the engine

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Attempting repairs now, this is where my coolant seems to be dripping onto, this seem right for hose from hell? Or something else?

gazza1286

Post by gazza1286 »

As your vehicle is an N/A there isn't a 'Hose from Hell'.

The photo suggests that the leak is coming from the rear of the engine (i.e. closest to the boot) - Is that correct?

If so then the likely problem is a corroded core plug on the engine block. Either that or a hose failure within the engine bay.

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Are you sure? I've just copied the guide on page 2 to the letter and just finished. It might be called 'pipe from hell' on an n/a but it definitely exists

gazza1286

Post by gazza1286 »

The 'hose from hell' is specific to the turbo. It is not covered on this thread.

See:

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/service/hfh/hfh.htm

The 'pipes from hell' are both N/A and Turbo as they are brass pipes which connect the heater to the engine. If these pipes fail the leak is due to a fracture on the mounting plate weld behind the heat shields. There will not be any coolant leaking onto the engine block. That is unless one of the rubber hoses has failed.

Topic author
kendoskeg

Post by kendoskeg »

Pipe from hell it is then, both now replaced fully.

Glad to have it done, saves it needing doing in the future - but I still have a leak. All minor hoses in that area seemed ok earlier, so I'm leaning towards core plugs as you said.

How difficult are they to sort? And how expensive?

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”