Supercharger mk2 rev2

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mcsherryman

Supercharger mk2 rev2

Post by Mcsherryman »

Hi all
I would like to know if anyone has added a supercharger to a 1993 mr2 and if so how easy/hard it was

Topic author
adam3442

Re: Supercharger mk2 rev2

Post by adam3442 »

It has been done.

But I seem to remember the power achieved wasn't very impressive and the kit was removed.

Topic author
fimmo

Post by fimmo »

dont waste your time, just get a tubby or v6 fitted and enjoy your mr2.simples.

i never had the mr2 knowledge back then that i have now and went and bought a 3s-fe engined mr2 and before i went and got a v6 fitted (then supercharged funnily enough) i bought a supercharger meant for a new bmw mini from a member on twobrutal and fitted it to the 3s-fe..

and that was fitted to a 3s-fe as there is space,not even worth considering with the 3s-ge.

had more fun with this....lmao... mini moto for the win!

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

That all looks like it would fit rather nicely in my engine bay :th:

Any chance of a bit more information Fimmo?
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
Mcsherryman

Post by Mcsherryman »

thanks for all the feed back.

i am new to the world of the mr2 and a thing i see on here a lot is tubby what is this :confused1:

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Mcsherryman wrote:thanks for all the feed back.

i am new to the world of the mr2 and a thing i see on here a lot is tubby what is this :confused1:
tubby - affectionate name for a JDM import turbo MR2
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Protok

Post by Protok »

Tubby = Turbo.

Basically the MR2 turbo with 225ps or 245ps depending on year.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

Topic author
Mcsherryman

Post by Mcsherryman »

thanks mate might be able to follow things now

Topic author
fimmo

Post by fimmo »

Protok wrote:That all looks like it would fit rather nicely in my engine bay :th:

seriously mate, if you want more power go turbo or v6, this IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!

too much issues with no boost then misfiring etc etc and a distinct lack of knowledge anywhere to help you out, just walk away is my only advice, waste of time and money!

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

fimmo wrote:
Protok wrote:That all looks like it would fit rather nicely in my engine bay :th:

seriously mate, if you want more power go turbo or v6, this IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!

too much issues with no boost then misfiring etc etc and a distinct lack of knowledge anywhere to help you out, just walk away is my only advice, waste of time and money!

But don't you know... a supercharged BEAMS is the fastest thing evaaaaaa! :whistling:

Protok

Post by Protok »

shinny wrote:
fimmo wrote:

But don't you know... a supercharged BEAMS is the fastest thing evaaaaaa! :whistling:
Well there is a guy doing a supercharged Beams in Aussie. 300+hp on 7psi of boost, now sorting it out to be less restrictive and expects quite a bit higher.
He is completely anal though and wants it all stock looking and I'd guess has cost him around £20-30k by now.

Anyhoo I have as much power as a turbo/v6, just looking into things I can fill up the passenger side of the engine bay up with.
I am happy with the way it is, needs a bit of fine tuning but love it really.
It is also rather exclusive, sticking on a rotrex feeding into the throttles would be just awesome :whistling:

Anyway it's all Dan's fault, keeps teasing me with superchargers :p
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

Protok wrote:Anyway it's all Dan's fault, keeps teasing me with superchargers :p
Got Boooooooost (and they're all mine muwahahahahaha!)

:D :D :D
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Protok

Post by Protok »

Don't worry, I am keeping my eyes open for one of those TRD Scion Superchargers.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok

Chris69
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Thought I would drag this back from the depths of "Forum Purgatory."
Been digging around recently to find some knowledge on this. Dissappointed with the lack of vision about the potential of the 3sge. I think that technology has moved on sufficiently to start looking into this again.
I reckon its a goer so long as you know what your getting in for. Its been done successfully on other higher compression n/a's such as the type-r's and s2k's, even the altezza beams has a kit so theres some scope out there.

Some thoughts, would need to source a rev1/2 tubby loom and map/maf sensor to stop the stock ecu chucking its teddies. Heard of stock internals standing up to 7psi but 2jz-ge pistons are potentially a strait swap and much stronger. Stock turbo injectors will more than do the job possibly need to swap out the fuel pump to compensate.
Worst case, lower compression pistons from a turbo and up the boost.

Space wise depends on what you go for. Theres a vast gaping chasm above the exhaust manifold screaming for something to be dropped in. Is there much point going for an SC12 or SC14? Probably the cheapest option if not a bit limp? Been having a gander at a few rotrex systems which are tiny things. and dont rely on any pickups from the engine. for these theres some scope for positioning underneath the inlet manifold between the block and firewall. You can also utilize a few existing brackets from the Celica alternator or the aircon pump. You then have all that space above the gearbox for an intercooler or chargecooler setup to play with. The main problem with this is cost. SC12's and 14's dont really exist over here so would need to source one probably from Australia, looking at around $300 - $600 + importing it. Still probably work out cheaper than the Rotrex's which kick off at about £1200. The only mainstream SC's out there in good supply and cheap are off Merc c180/200/230's but looking at the design would need a but of modding to fit, more research into this.
But then offset that with the cost of a good n/a vrs a good turbo as a benchmark. Would think a £500 difference is generous enough.

I really like to believe that the 3sge is more than a stop gap before getting a turbo or V6. Seems like a bit of a damp squib with little purpose in life at the moment. Well unless you are satisfied with a meagre 158hp - 175hp from a 2.0l 4 pot. Im sure we all were a bit dissappointed when the GT-86 was given just 200hp. How is this really any different?

Could probably list a pageful of pro's and con's visa-vie SC vrs 3sgte vrs V6 but until its done properly nobody will ever really know how good it could be.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”