7 years and I finally have a MOT

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

purple thunder, IACV pipe

Post by chaos19810 »

So today was and interesting and tiring day but resulted in this.

It hasn't gone perfect I need to do a little more work as it doesn't quite fit in the engine bay I need to do a bit more grinding to make it fit as I got the location of the hole wrong so it sits on a bit of a canter.

I'm hoping that if I make the hole a little bigger then it will sit in the correct place but I have a feeling that it somehow will be about and inch higher than it should. It is however parallel with the rear engine bay fire wall so it should all still fit.

Big thanks to seanred for all his help today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chaos19810 on 03/01/17 13:28, edited 2 times in total.

chefey

Re: Look there's an engine in operation purple thunder!!!!

Post by chefey »

It is coming on well, have I seen the engine pic on facebook? :th:

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: We have ignition!!! Purple thunder lives kinda!!

Post by chaos19810 »

You might of seen it on Facebook it seems the car community is moving towards that rather than forums which is a sad state of affairs.

Well the exciting news is that the wiring is finished, I have checked the power is getting to gauges and everything infront of the engine and it was everything worked lights, indicators, temp, fuel gauge everything. I couldn't resist trying to turn it over and we'll it clicked lots and sprayed petrol across the floor, I realise I hadn't attached the engine earths. So on Sunday I will relocate the battery, connect the earths, put the fuel lines in a Jerry can and see if it will turn it over!!
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

chaos19810 wrote:You might of seen it on Facebook it seems the car community is moving towards that rather than forums which is a sad state of affairs.

Well the exciting news is that the wiring is finished, I have checked the power is getting to gauges and everything infront of the engine and it was everything worked lights, indicators, temp, fuel gauge everything. I couldn't resist trying to turn it over and we'll it clicked lots and sprayed petrol across the floor, I realise I hadn't attached the engine earths. So on Sunday I will relocate the battery, connect the earths, put the fuel lines in a Jerry can and see if it will turn it over!!
Congratulations on the rebirth of this one fella :th: should be lush when complete :) . Rachel and I need a mk1 in our lives methinks. Keep us posted and it's great to see another mk1 saved..

On another note - so that you are not re-doing yours and seanred's great work here in a couple of years time - get some cavity wax on the inside of those new panels :th:

I too am saddened by the whole social media vs forum thing. Personally I am no longer on Facebook and haven't been for a couple of months now. You would be surprised how much of your time you consume browsing mindlessness on there. That said, some of the car groups are okay but very lacking in technical merit ..... which is where forums like MR2OC, TwoBrutal and IMOC are king and still have a place.

As I said to Rach this morning on our way into work .. The one place schoolkids would sit and talk to eachother, actually interract is on the buses .... but not now they have wifi.
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

look forward to seeing it move....

intercooler or chargecooler route??
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

That's the big problem with Facebook groups is the lack of knowledge and it's hard to decifier through the crap, I try and offer help where I can but some of the advice I seen given makes me cringe .

The panels have been been given an good coat of rust protection, as well I'm wax oiling as much of the wings and underneath as I can, once I'm certain all the welding has been done I shall be filling the car with a rust converter followed by cavity wax.

I will be going the st205 charge cooler route I have already fitted the rad and routed the pipes under the car, after a lot of reading I think this might be the best route for what I am planning to do with the car which is track, drag strip and possibly compete in a sprint or hill climb events. To over come heat soak while standing I was looking at fitting a sprayer on the charge cooler rad, but this will be very much in the future.

If all goes well I will hear the car turn over on Sunday and that will give me and the project a boost
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

After a bit of fiddling the car will turn over but having just a little problem, I'm getting sparks flying out of the bell housing when I crank it over, still not sure if this is a my wiring problem, earthing problem or a dodgy starter motor?

I'm hoping that the car will have a running engine by the end of October and if the car gods are with me it might even move under its own power which would be scary. It looks like it will be ready just in time for me to put the car away for the winter.
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

chefey

Post by chefey »

Are all the earths on the engine good and clean?, put a jumper lead from the engine/gearbox to chassis and see if that helps

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

So after a bit of investigation I still have no idea what was causing the sparks. It might of been the earth I have relocated two earths and added an extra one of the gearbox onto chassis and this seems to have solved the problem.

In other news I have started to fitting the outer cv joins to the driveshafts and can officially say I have a one wheel drive car :) I shall be fitting the passengers side driveshaft next time I'm down the work shop.

Other good news I have brought some new wheels and managed to find the elusive headlight eyebrows total cost for all of it was £35. I love it when lots of bits arrive

ImageImageImage

Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Today I finally got fuel, gear linkages and spark all sorted. I also bolted on my new alloys just to see what they looked like on the car

Still lots of work to go but thought I'd share some pics.

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by pbmr2 »

Great project, have taken your time and it should be a right hoot once it's finished.

What resources did you use to work out your wiring? Couldn't see a mention in the thread.

How long do you think is left before it's on the road?
"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

It's taken a bit longer than the 6 weekends that I planed for when I started nearly a year ago, but I've tried to sort as much as the rust as I could and that has taken much longer and had much more than i expected.

With the wiring I spend about a month reading the Paul woods guide and learning the function on each wire going to the ecu then just went slowly through it. It wasn't as hard as I expected but even though it's finished (I hope) it needs to be tided up as it looks like a right mess.

I haven't driven it yet so there still a chance there is a problem but in about 2-3 months it will be moving and I will break in the engine as it had a full rebuild find any problems then it will be of the road until April time. During this time I will make a new engine harness because it looks horrid and start deciding what to do with the interior and body work. Plus I need to up grade the brakes to st205 fronts and mr2 rears. I'm going to attempt to spray the car but I'm unsure what colour I like idea of replicating the the sonic colour scheme.

Already decided the next project too

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: Purple thunder Idle control air valve pipe

Post by chaos19810 »

So it's been a while since I bothered anyone with a question so I thought I'd start with a one I haven't come across. I am and have been reducing the amount of pipe work on the the rev3 turbo engine that's in my mk1. So after a morning of making and fitting all the hoses for the cooling system including the heater matrix I was looking around and wondering about the ICAV pipe it runs from the sensor to the air intake pipe

I know it controls the air entering at idle to maintain a steady idle but can I just add 15cm of pipe and a 90 degree bend and put a small air filter on it so it takes the air from next to the throttle body?

I know that there will be a difference in air temp compared to the air intake sensor, any ideas on how this might effect things or not?

Thanks and happy new year

Andy

Topic author
chaos19810

Purple thunder Idle control air valve pipe

Post by chaos19810 »

So today was the long awaited day i decided that I would start the engine up and see what happened, the engine had been already cranked so I knew it would turn over.

So I turned the key and nothing it didn't even turn over so after pulling a sulk and storming around the workshop Iooking for a hammer the ecu was staring me in the face sat on my toolbox. So with a bit of embarrassment I plugged it in. So the second time I got the engine cranking over but not firing, so I checked their were sparks they were fine, I best have compression after refurbishing the bottom end so now it was fuel.

So I pulled of the return line and it was bone dry, so of to check it was plugged in (see I had learnt) it was, so I wired an old battery up to see if it was still working. Thankfully it was I wasn't in the mood to drop a mk1 fuel tank.

If you haven't done a mk1 tank it's like dropping the mk2 tank but the Toyota designers were either drunk or just spiteful when they designed it. I'm sure they still meet up and have a good laugh at all the people that have had to take it out. Any way I digress by doing this I managed to get fuel through the return line [emoji3]. Getting closer.

So wired it all up and turned the key, and again nothing but turning over, after some more sulking I got the wiring guide out and checked it all and it seemed fine. So now I'm getting annoyed with this so, when it comes to wiring, if I have no idea what's wrong I check the earths. With a trusty bit of sand paper I went around and sanded all the metal surfaces where the earths were connected to the chassis and with one more turn of the keys the car started and ran.

It scared the crap out of me so much I instantly turned it off like something was wrong, after a little dance I did it again and it started again on the first turn of the key. I ran it for about a minute also most gassed myself on the exhaust fumes and had a bigger dance.

After a year almost to the day of driving the car into workshop it again had sprung into life!! There are still 100's of jobs to do but that was a big one ticked off the list today.

I'll apologies now if we meet up in the near future and I keep telling you this story

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”