7 years and I finally have a MOT

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

baileydom

Re: Purple thunder lives!!! The engine started!!!

Post by baileydom »

Well done Andy, massive step forward. Looking forward to seeing it on the road this year!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Great news. We'll done Andy. Looking forward to seeing this beast sometime:).

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 »

I'm hoping to get it to one of the weekend shows this year it's just deciding which one in the summer to go to.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

It seems this project is a lot of little jobs then a jump forward, it's having to take a slight back seat as I was arranging my wedding. That was until Em asked if we should be using mk1.5 as the wedding car after all this work I've put in?

Think I've asked the right girl to marry me so back to the work shop I went and I started to use CAD to design the engine mounts and after a few hours i designed this.

All I need to is now make them out of steel and repeat it for the front mount and this job is done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
chaos19810

engine mounts have been designed time to make them now

Post by chaos19810 »

Well today was another productive day, I found I had a oil leak from the oil filter, and the gasket around the sump hadn't sealed correctly so today's job was to pull it off reclean it and seal it up. Well that was the plan I took the sump off, cleaned it up and was distracted by making the front mount. This designing of this was much easier compared to the rear it only involved cutting the mk1 body mount in half and then cutting the majority of the mk2 body mount away, then Connecting then together. So hopefully this time next week I will have all four engine mounts attached to the engine.

It's looking good to have the car running ready for the end of the show season. :)

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

I've promised myself a mk1... But only when I can get it in dry storage of a night-time & winter :)

I look forward to seeing this at the shows - I have made a similar promise myself - yet my engine hasn't arrived from USA yet :laughing
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Hopefully I will have broken the back
Of the work, I have a week solid coming up soon so I am hoping I can get the majority of the jobs done so it will be just checking and simple things.

Then I will be case of stripping the interior even more, and getting it looking like a dedicated track/race car :)

Topic author
chaos19810

Purple thunder lives!!! The engine started!!!

Post by chaos19810 »

So first day of the Easter holidays and I thought I'd start turning my Cardboard Aided Design into an actual steel rear torque mount.

So I dismantled the cardboard mock up so I could mark out the 4mm steel sheet out

So this is that starting point

I always mark out the steel with masking tape, I find it hard to follow the lines but the tape makes it a bit easier

Then hey presto 4 hours later I have made the mount and have it tacked together.

And just to prove it all fits

Now I'm going to get someone else to seam weld up the mount, my welding isn't up to the task plus I'm not convinced that the welder will get enough penetration to weld 4mm steel Saying that it might just be me and my lack of skill.

I'm going to be welding an additional section to the car so I can use one of the bolt holes on the original mount and add a little strength to the rear mount.

One more to make then most of the big jobs are done :)

Topic author
chaos19810

Purple thunder: One mount made, one to go!!

Post by chaos19810 »

I was given a new battery!! So that's all sorted I finished the front mount, I haven't reinforced it yet but it can be done in the future, once I've driven it and decide how I'm going to do it. I've seen lots of different ways but I expect I'll do it my way with my level of skill, I've come to realise that if I try and do it the same way as someone else then it normally goes wrong.

I've now made both mounts and had someone slightly better at welding finish it all off.

So now the next job is to finish it off and tidy it all up with the use of my fav tool the grinder. A local firm will media blast then for a 10'er so the question is should I get it primed and painted or should I get it power coated?

Also has anyone put an engine damper on the top of the engine to try and reduce the stress on the torque mounts?

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: Purple thunder: One mount made, one to go!!

Post by chaos19810 »

Only a little update, today I've finished the plumbing for the charge cooler and heater/rad pipes. I only had one leak and that was because the spring clip was past it's best. A quick change to a jubilee clip and that was all sorted I was leak free. That means the engine is just needing some oil, and gearbox fluid and then I can start to run it in.

After I changed the clip I then started the smelly but enjoyable job of removing the inner metal tubes from the engine mounts.

I was going go but some polyethylene mounts but like most things, I've seen that I could just make my own so that's what I'm going to be doing in a few weeks once the engine mounts have been media blasted and powder coated. For any one interested I will be buying and using this kit

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubb ... ubber.html

Then it will be on to working on different parts of the car such as the brakes, as I will be doing the st205 front conversion and the mk2 rears, which brings me to a question I've been thinking about the mk2 brake master cylinder conversion has anyone got any experience of doing this? I'm guessing that I will need to have a brake bias adjuster as some point in the future but that can wait.

I just need to start booking events to go and take the car too!!

Any planned for December?

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Well today I picked up my engine mounts they have been media blasted and powder coated snd are looking like I actually knew what I was doing when I made them.

Do now it's time for some maths to work out much polyurethane I need to make the mounts.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Looking great fella :D
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Thanks!! I'm over the moon with them, I'm not sure what other mk1.5 makers feared the most but for me it has been this engine mounts. I've had nightmares about them failing. So to see them turn out so well has given me a huge boost of confidence.

I just need to get it all attached and running, just ordered the polyurethane chemicals so let's see how much mess I can make

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

where did you get the chemicals from? about time i did my engine mounts...

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”