7 years and I finally have a MOT

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Purple thunder: One mount made, one to go!!

Post by chaos19810 »

I got them from this company

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubb ... ubber.html

You can get it of eBay but after giving these guys a ring and explaining what I was planning to do with it they were very helpful
and gave lots of ideas and pointers on what would work and what wouldn't.

I will be staring to make these next weekend if the chemicals arrive on time.

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

excellent many thanks. how much are you anticipating on using per mount. dont want to go and buy too much lol.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

I've ordered 1/2 a litre I did a little maths and think I will need 430ml for two mounts so I thought i'd start there and see how it goes. It should be here by the weekend so I'll be hopeful getting it underway then

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

So I've started playing with chemicals to make my mounts and so far it has gone well.

So this everything I have used

After a bit of measuring I made up the bottom of the mould up. I covered it parcel tape to help it release easier. I then superglued it to mount to try and reduce the amount of leaks around the edge. I used some bluetac around the edge just encase it did leak

Mixing up the polyurethane is easy it is 1:1, I just some black pigment to add some colour to it rather than it being a wee colour. You do need to have it in the mount within 4-5 mins otherwise it will start to set.

So it was all going well it poured well and settled in to the shape, there was only a small leak but it sealed itself after a few minutes. I let it cure for 3 hours and then spotted the problem. There was much more shrinkage than I expected it meant that it would move left and right and back and forth. With a gentle tap this happened.

I realised my problem, if you look at the next picture you can see the ridge on the right and this is lacking on the right. This is because I did not put enough of the mixture in, you clearly need fill the mount to the very top so that you get that ridge on both sides and this would stop the left and right movement.

I haven't decided if I will give it another go with the other mount, the A60 is exceptional stiff much stiffer than I expected there is no give under the fingers at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Daft question time
How did you get the centre tube aligned into the centre?

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

I used a bit of maths,

I drew two circles at 82 and 84mm, I then did perpendicular bicsetor at three oppersite points on the circle to ensure I had the middle and that I had some guide lines to match up to the mount later. Then I drew a circle with a 11mm radius from the middle and cut this out.

On the inside and outside of the mount I used a pencil to mark the mount to help me line it up, hence the two circles, it meant I could eyeball if the mount was even all the way around and then superglued it on to the bottom.

To keep the mount centred at the top I measured 31mm from the inner edge to the outer edge of the dowel and did this as many times as I could before using masking tape to hold it in place as I poured it in and kept double checking as it set.

It was a simple as that, I'm sure there is an easier way but that was came to me as I was doing it.

Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Makes perfect sense!

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

After a little thought i've decided to buy some poly mounts, I might keep experimenting with the polyurethane mixtures but its the mounts that are holding me back from getting the car ready.

Well that and the JDM single exit exhaust I have will not fit on the car, so it looks like i will either need a b-pipe making up to try and get the existing one to fit or go for a custom set up up.

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

i had a go at this today and i thought id share it here to stop you having to make the same mistake i did.

my idea was good, weld two rings round the outside of the mount (tack welds only so they can easily be removed) and then fill it with pu rubber to give it a lip. any shrinkage will then just make those lips smaller which is no problem.

the mistake i made was not going to enough trouble to seal the gaps. i used duct tape around the edges but nothing at all on the bottom edge, so it leaked. a lot. i stuffed blue roll in it to bung it up but i lost quite a lot of pu so i may have to do it again anyway. if i do, i will use silicone sealer around all the gaps and a ring of it on the bottom edge, let the silicone go off and then fill it with rubber.

pics:

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

oh and a easy way to find the center of a circle...

draw a mark at approx 12 o clock (doesnt have to be perfect)

draw a straight line at the bottom of the circle and join the ends to the 12 o clock mark to make a triangle.

turn the paper 90* and draw a mark at 12 o clock. make another triangle.

measure half way along the bottom of each triangle and draw a line from that point to the tip of the tringle

there you have it. the center.

:)

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

I stuck mine with superglue to the bottom of the mount and used blue tack to ensure it was sealed.

How did you find the firmness of the polyurethane?

qwakers

Post by qwakers »

dont know i had something else to do so i havent been in to check its cured yet :)

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Mine cured in about an hour, let me know what you think? I think it might be too hard

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

qwakers wrote: oh and a easy way to find the center of a circle...

ETC

there you have it. the center.

:)
It's even easier than that, you don't need the triangles ;)
Draw a line across the circle (doesn't matter where) mark the middle of the line and draw another line through the middle at right angles to the original line.
Then turn the paper roughly 90degrees and repeat the process, where the two lines cross is the centre ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”