7 years and I finally have a MOT

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Anyone used Mr2ben fibreglass wing?

Post by angpozzuto »

When I got my mk1 repainted I searched everywhere to get a pair of clean steel wings, I even got them for a reasonable price

Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Anyone used Mr2ben fibreglass wing?

Post by chaos19810 »

I’ve been looking for a set of steel ones for a while I have a couple of Toyota dealerships and they could get me a passengers side for 200 +vat but no drivers side. Then all the ones I came across where either rotten or in worse condition than mine so I’ve gone and ordered a set and I shall report back once they are fitted.

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: update on the Mk1.5

Post by chaos19810 »

Wow a year on and the car is still not complete, a few thins popped up and got in the way of the car being finished such as getting married, moving home, promotion and a little baby daughter coming along and turning my world upside down.

So where am I up too, the car is now back together and moving, the new seat rail was made so I can sit in the car with a helmet on, ive just started on the exhaust and I have two options an single exit or a mongoose twin exit. I’ll decide which one is easier for me to make the b pipe for as i’ll Just be tacking it together and then asking someone whose a little better at welding to insure they are air tight.

Once that is done the car will be shipped off for its MOT to see what happens, for those interested i’ll Post up the MOT results when it happens .

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

Any closer to an MOT yet? Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

It’s getting closer, today the car ran up to temperature today, it’s over fueling something cronic it is okish with a steady load being applied with minimal boost but as soon as you increase the load it is throwing out black smoke.

I’m hoping for a MOT come June time, I want to redo the wiring and tidy it up, plus I’m going to tidy up the paintwork and spray it.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Well the journey continues the car is still on track to be MOT’d in June possibly July I can’t seem to solve the overfueling issue at the moment so that will have to wait I am wondering if there is an issue with the wiring or if changing the fuel pump has thrown the fuel pressure out and that is causing the issue.

So I have now built the exhaust and as much as I wanted to make some looping creation, time and talent has let me down so I went for a tubby mongoose exhaust and made a b pipe which does the job but once I get in on the track I might want to change that so it sounds meaner.

This car is going to be a road legal track car so I have decided to make the car as light as possible to start this process the last remaining interior has been removed and a new light weight bucket seat is being bolted to the floor, I need the car as low as possible otherwise I can not sit in the car with my helmet.

The next step in making the car as light as possible is to replace the front end for a fiberglass one, this is partly done out off a need to find a replacement wings at a decent price and a want to make the car as light as I can.

With the idea that I will be using the car on the track and the knowledge that I am not a great driver I decided that I wanted a roll cage to stiffen the car up and to give me some protection for when I run out of talent.

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: The Mk1.5 Saga continues......

Post by chaos19810 »

So today I got an idea what the car will look like once it’s complete, it has always had something missing. All that needs going is a lot of sanding then time to spray the car once the weather turns nice :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Re: The Mk1.5 Saga continues......

Post by ayresyboy »

Looking good
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: Hybrid mamba CT26 turbo thoughts?

Post by chaos19810 »

Well this project is still going, I have been putting off the sanding down and all the little jobs that I find boring. I use that as an excuse but the birth of little Ffynnon has delayed this lifelong project.

Things have moved on and with the hope of getting this done before Ffynnon’s second birthday I have just decided to ditch the rev3 tubby ecu and engine wiring and use an emerald k6 and a part built loom from Hurley engineering. While I am, fiddling with the ecu it seems a great time to change the injectors and the turbo.

I’ve been looking at different turbo options and have decided after all the work I’ve done on making and exhaust and getting the charge cooler to fit I think I want to go with a hybrid turbo, now these all seem to be based of the ct26 turbo there are three options the mamba ct26, tuning developments and the kinugawa version. There are many US options but I’ve had nothing but problems ordering from the US so they are all counted out.

So my question is has anyone had any experience with first a hybrid ct26 and secondary does any one have any experience with the mamba turbo?

Thanks

Andy

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, I have one. Build quality seems decent, but it arrived clocked incorrectly for my application, and the supplied oil feed / return did not fit correctly either. It is possible to fit OEM here when its all clocked correctly.

Mine suffered from uncontrollable boost creep. Never got to the bottom of it. I've spoken to several other people with this turbo, and it seems to be about 50/50 between no issues and uncontrollable boost creep.

The turbo that I replaced turned out to be a Turbo Technics S148, so I got that rebuilt and reinstalled it. No issues with that one.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Thanks, for the info I’ve been hearing mixed review some of the older one are mixed some of the newer ones are better.

What boost control system do you use to adjust the boost?

And you don’t have it still kicking around do you?

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

I was running it with the 10psi spring, and I had the actuator connected directly to the reference port on the turbo for testing so it should have just held at 10psi. It stayed at about 9-10psi up to about 4kRPM or so, then rapidly creeped uncontrollably and would be at 16-17psi by 5.5kRPM, rising rapidly.

As mentioned I did have to clock the turbo which required disassembly, its possible I did not set the preload on the actuator right. I'm pretty sure I did get it right though.

Its on the shelf as a spare at the moment.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Well if you decide it’s just acting as a paperweight let me know.

I’m in two minds about getting one, so it will be a drunken purchase I imagine. I have just found some ct20b hybrids as now the options have just increased

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Well after speaking to a few people and lots of reading I’ve decided against a mamba turbo, they currently still seem a little hit or miss. So after chatting to midland turbo I’ve decided to convert my ct20b into a hybrid which is good for 380hp which will be more than I need.

My next question is camshafts what have people used successfully with a rev3 tubby?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”