Sr20 vs beams 3s turbo conversion

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

Whats the pros and cons on sr20 and beams 3s

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Sr20 vs beams 3s turbo conversion

Post by d-peg »

Surely an SR20 in a mk2 would be hellishly more complex due to being longitudinally mounted whereas the 3S is transverse to start with? It will mean a new sump, baffling and pick up (available parts but will need sourcing)

EVERYTHING for the 3S will fit. No gearbox adapters, no special mounts, no special driveshafts etc.

I'm not knocking the SR20, it's a great engine. Just seems pointless when there is already a great engine to throw in there. The Beams to turbo would be a crazy amount of work. If you're looking for a 'better' 3S then perhaps start with a gen4 engine (found in the Caldina).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-03-TOYOTA-CE ... 2156534457

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-3SGT ... 1921081370

I've only just for quickness found these on eBay USA but there are UK companies that could source and install one for you.

In terms of 'better' it's newer, coil on plug, more modern etc. however, it depends on what you want to do with it. The Gen4's are not as strong as the earlier engine in piston and rod terms.

The beams turbo can and has been done. It is another pricey swap though, which ever way you look here you'll be spending a lot of money.

I wonder why you'd simply not go the Gen2 or 3 3SGTE turbo swap which will be out of the box and comparatively cheap. Unless of course, you already have a Beams ;) :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

d-peg wrote:Surely an SR20 in a mk2 would be hellishly more complex due to being longitudinally mounted whereas the 3S is transverse to start with? It will mean a new sump, baffling and pick up (available parts but will need sourcing)

EVERYTHING for the 3S will fit. No gearbox adapters, no special mounts, no special driveshafts etc.

I'm not knocking the SR20, it's a great engine. Just seems pointless when there is already a great engine to throw in there. The Beams to turbo would be a crazy amount of work. If you're looking for a 'better' 3S then perhaps start with a gen4 engine (found in the Caldina).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-03-TOYOTA-CE ... 2156534457

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-3SGT ... 1921081370

I've only just for quickness found these on eBay USA but there are UK companies that could source and install one for you.

In terms of 'better' it's newer, coil on plug, more modern etc. however, it depends on what you want to do with it. The Gen4's are not as strong as the earlier engine in piston and rod terms.

The beams turbo can and has been done. It is another pricey swap though, which ever way you look here you'll be spending a lot of money.

I wonder why you'd simply not go the Gen2 or 3 3SGTE turbo swap which will be out of the box and comparatively cheap. Unless of course, you already have a Beams ;) :th:
I've got nothing yet looking for a project car been looking at Sr20 rb25 beams 3s just something different not the normal v8 builds

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

This is for a mk2 I am assuming?

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

"normal" v8 builds??? in a mr2??

you sure youve joined the correct forum??
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

d-peg wrote:
In terms of 'better' it's newer, coil on plug, more modern etc. however, it depends on what you want to do with it. The Gen4's are not as strong as the earlier engine in piston and rod
Dan, the Gen 4 has not been found to be weaker at all than the Gen 3 in any terms, in fact there are many Gen 4's over the pond running 400+ reliably with an unopened engine. Material science moved on a fair amount with the advent of the Beams and Gen 4, both of which use the same bottom end and both took advantage by having lighter rods which haven't found their limit yet. As good as the Gen 3 is, the Gen 4 is far superior, as you'd expect from a more modern engine :)
Last edited by sinjen on 16/03/16 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

sinjen wrote:Dan, the Gen 4 has not been found to be weaker at all than the Gen 3 in any terms, in fact there are many Gen 4's over the pond running 400+ reliably with an unopened engine. Material science moved on a fair amount with the advent of the Beams and Gen 4, both of which use the same bottom end and both took advantage by having lighter rods which haven't found their limit yet. As good as the Gen 3 is, the Gen 4 is far superior, as you'd expect from a more modern engine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Furry muff :th:

:)

I read it on the tinternets so it must be true lol :D

sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Yeah there are a few early threads where the debate raged about the beams turbo and the Gen 4 bottom ends, lighter rods must be weaker etc, but over the years since has been found to be false because of the different alloys used.

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sinjen wrote:
d-peg wrote:
In terms of 'better' it's newer, coil on plug, more modern etc. however, it depends on what you want to do with it. The Gen4's are not as strong as the earlier engine in piston and rod
Dan, the Gen 4 has not been found to be weaker at all than the Gen 3 in any terms, in fact there are many Gen 4's over the pond running 400+ reliably with an unopened engine. Material science moved on a fair amount with the advent of the Beams and Gen 4, both of which use the same bottom end and both took advantage by having lighter rods which haven't found their limit yet. As good as the Gen 3 is, the Gen 4 is far superior, as you'd expect from a more modern engine :)

i take it you dont look at any of the US forums??

the rods are the weakest area of the gen4 and have BLOWN straight through sumps and blocks!! the fact this has happened multipal times does not feel me with confidence.
ever seen a gen3 blown to actual pieces?
______Azure blue______

sinjen

Post by sinjen »

jimGTS wrote:
sinjen wrote:
d-peg wrote:

i take it you dont look at any of the US forums??

the rods are the weakest area of the gen4 and have BLOWN straight through sumps and blocks!! the fact this has happened multipal times does not feel me with confidence.
ever seen a gen3 blown to actual pieces?
I know exactly the thread you're referring to, you know how much boost that guy was running which then spiked don't you?! I'm sorry Jim but you're just quoting a very early thread (think it was 2008)!

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

A lot depends on setup of said engine. On the V6 front, I've heard of 3vz turbo motors popping at ~300hp. Though in Germany (the one I am always referring back to) there's a guy running a 3vz turbo with 393whp. That's a standard engine, pistons, cams and FIBRE HEAD GASKET!

Fuelling, cooling and lubrication all have to be in the right place!

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

im talking about a very recent post on facebook with some lovely pictures.

unless that fb post is from 2008, which i highly doubt there was even an mr2 FB page back then, then we cant be referring to the same car??

im all for the gen4 in general, though the turbo is also smaller than the ct20b. granted better spool, not that a ct20b is laggy anyways.

would i rather forge build a gen4, of course, replace those rods, and enjoy hopefully never having the worry of cracking a block.
though the block update was from rev4 turbo onwards anyways.
______Azure blue______

sinjen

Post by sinjen »

I'm pretty sure if I delved into the midst of the early modified Gen 3's I'll find examples where they have blown and I'm pretty sure with that rods have been bent! To suggest otherwise is ridiculous tbh. Engines blow for a variety of reasons, the main one being a poor setup, as Dan says.

sinjen

Post by sinjen »

Post it up Jim, I'd love to learn from someone else's screw up :)

As far as the turbo is concerned it boosts straight away and pulls all the way to the redline, that said I would swap it for a Ct16

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”