Sr20 vs beams 3s turbo conversion

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

pbmr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Sr20 vs beams 3s turbo conversion

Post by pbmr2 »

They are all bolt on mods imo. OK so the injectors need an ecu and mapping. but the motor doesn`t need to be opened.

330hp would be more reasonable as the stock turbo, injectors, IC, ecu etc can cope (at the ultimate limit). filter, fuel pump, exhaust and some boost control is all thats needed below that.

for chargecooling I`d use a barrel style core.

Still think it`s a mad direction to go for the SW20. A Subaru ej25 with an audi gearbox would be more powerful, lower CoG and just as much custom work. better balance left to right as well.
Plus the gearbox wouldn`t explode after every 3rd rapid getaway, taking £2k of internals with it. and prob the diff too.

I have a feeling we are kind of singing from the same sheet, just the internets is getting in the way. ;)

"Time is the true wealth, spend it well."

Rev4 T-bar gen4 swap
Rev4 Moonroof 3sge daily

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

Just looking for something I can use for day use and the odd track days so not looking for huge power maybe 300 - 500 area

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

lilgampla wrote:Just looking for something I can use for day use and the odd track days so not looking for huge power maybe 300 - 500 area

Suggest you set your goal to a car with 300bhp at the crank.
That's about the limit of what you can do with the stock car, above that you're spending lots of money on forging things, larger turbos, injectors and inter/charge cooling and aftermarker ECUs, exhausts, manifolds, etc. It gets expensive pretty fast.

You can probably get to 300 with a few grand. Getting to 500 will be in excess of 10 grand.

FWIW, there isn't much on the road that will show a clean pair of heels to a 300bhp turbo.

Aside from that it's keeping the car healthy - bear in mind the age of these things and the preventative/restorative maintenance it's likely to need. That's not cheap.

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

gavsdavs wrote:
lilgampla wrote:Just looking for something I can use for day use and the odd track days so not looking for huge power maybe 300 - 500 area

Suggest you set your goal to a car with 300bhp at the crank.
That's about the limit of what you can do with the stock car, above that you're spending lots of money on forging things, larger turbos, injectors and inter/charge cooling and aftermarker ECUs, exhausts, manifolds, etc. It gets expensive pretty fast.

You can probably get to 300 with a few grand. Getting to 500 will be in excess of 10 grand.

FWIW, there isn't much on the road that will show a clean pair of heels to a 300bhp turbo.

Aside from that it's keeping the car healthy - bear in mind the age of these things and the preventative/restorative maintenance it's likely to need. That's not cheap.
Will do but if I can do most myself and save some money

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Seen SR20s fitted into Altezzas before; they make for a good car but a lot complain about their reliability. Furthermore a lot seem to prefer the power delivery of the Beams even in turbocharged form.

Personally I'd love to see an SR20 or a Subaru EJ in an MR2 but I'd imagine the custom work required would make it prohibitively expensive.

All I will suggest is that if you start, see it all the way through. Being a member of a number of Car Forums has taught me one thing; only 10% finish the project, a lot spend a shedload on the parts then sell the project for a huge loss when out of cash or motivation.

P.S. If you need some advice about the beams, turbocharged or otherwise then drop me a message.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

What about a k 20/24

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

lilgampla wrote:What about a k 20/24

As Gavsdavs has said, not much will keep up with a GTE with some BPU. To get bigger power gains you are looking at a hell of a lot more money or a different car / non Toyota stock setup. Your call.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
lilgampla wrote:What about a k 20/24

As Gavsdavs has said, not much will keep up with a GTE with some BPU. To get bigger power gains you are looking at a hell of a lot more money or a different car / non Toyota stock setup. Your call.

HM
I've looked down that route but I want something not many people have got I found a kit in us for k series on to e153 gearbox for $1500 and a turbo kit for $1000

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

K swapped MR2's are potent. They get a lot of hate, but it's an excellent engine - better than a 3S, as you'd expect considering the 3S is an evolution of a 1980's engine and the K was brand new in 2001. Takes a lot of abuse to kill a K20, and they take boost very well.

Personally I'd love to build a lightweight K24/K20 hybrid swapped hard top in the future. Daie Motors in Japan got a Rev5 NA down to just under 1000KG at race weight with the 3SGE - a K is a bit lighter. Something very appealing about a sub 1000KG SW20 with ~250whp rev happy NA (can be done with a hybrid K24). Not sure the E153 would be the best box for that though, really needs a close ratio 6 speed. Not a problem if you're putting a turbo on it.

Problem is at the moment it's pretty unknown in the UK, so the support isn't there like it is in the US. It's also not cheap - that conversion kit will cost you at least 1500GBP by time you've paid import duty, shipping, and VAT on top of that.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

Gazza_DJ wrote:They get a lot of hate, but it's an excellent engine
The engine and the people who pioneer the swap deserve huge amounts of respect. It's the fanbois that post "eleventybillionhorsepowers MR2 beats GTR" on every FB forum, every day that earn the hate. Largely being millenials, they can't seem to take any form of criticism without descending to accusing everyone of being a h8r.

*not everyone wants a honda powered toyota. They can't comprehend that thought.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Did someone say K20 and 'eleventybillionhorsepowers'? :)
Not sure about the billion, but eleventy - yup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqR6DQzyU6Q
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
lilgampla

Post by lilgampla »

Okay challenge for everyone find a beams 3sge in UK

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

lilgampla wrote:Okay challenge for everyone find a beams 3sge in UK

For sale? I know of about 4, 3 are Blacktops though.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Jeff http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/members/2.html has a Beams (redtop) MR2
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”