1ZZ-2ZZ Conversion onto 5speed box?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tonyrs

1ZZ-2ZZ Conversion onto 5speed box?

Post by tonyrs »

HI, new to the forum and after some advice if possible.

I run a small college teaching level 1 mechanics to school students.

We have a celica 190bhp vvti and I have a MR2 Roadster with low compression in cylinder 4.

We would like to swap the 2zz engine for the 1ZZ engine in the Roadster the cheapest way as we have a very low budget. I have sourced the exhaust manifold already.

Ideally, we would like to bolt the standard roadster gearbox onto the 2zz engine to eliminate the expense of buying the gear linkage modifications. Is this going to make a huge difference to the way the 2zz power is delivered. I.e. the rev range/powerband?

Lastly, will the 1zz fit into the Celica, so we can continue using it as a training car?

thanks for your help. Tony

Topic author
cptspaulding

Re: 1ZZ-2ZZ Conversion onto 5speed box?

Post by cptspaulding »

Firstly, the T-sport gearbox ratios are different to the MR2 gearbox. The ratios in the T-sport box are designed so that the engine can remain in lift when going up thru the gears. If you just put the MR2 box onto the 2zz then you lose that & rather waste the 2zz performance.
From what I've road on manifolds on the 2zz swap, you're better using the Celica manifold & cutting/welding the down pipes to alter the angle to sit above the subframe. Allows much better exhaust flow apparently.
Most Celicas were sold with the 1zz engine. The 2zz T-sport was like their GTI version.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

as cpt says ... the gearbox mated to the 2zz is ratio'd to keep it in lift (where the power is) when running up through the gears. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot use your 5sp MR2 box but you will have to rev it back up to lift with each change of course.

your 1zz should fit back into the celica though unsure how easy it will be to get to work with the clocks etc. You'll need the celica 1zz engine mount too.

If you need 2zz MR2 engine mount - speak to Patrick / headcase who sells them :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
tonyrs

Post by tonyrs »

thanks for the responses.

our budget has just been cut from £300 a month to £150 so the only option would be the 1zz gearbox route or leave both cars as they are. The Celica VVTI 190 will never be put back on the road again and just leaving the engine in it when it could fit into the MR2 that is roadworthy, just seems a waste. Will have a ponder. thanks

Topic author
cptspaulding

Post by cptspaulding »

That's a shame. I guess you can't sell any of these cars on?
There's a market for 2zz swap MR2s. Would it be possible to find a sponsor to finance the swap if you're providing the labour & the knowhow?
Where is your college?
There's one or two on the roc looking for a 2zz swap roadster might bite your hand off.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

headcase
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by headcase »

tony pm me :) I mite be able to help you out :)

Topic author
tonyrs

Post by tonyrs »

Hi, aplogies for delay have not been on this site for a long time and I decided to drive the MR2 for one more summer with the 1zz engine in it.

I'm now again thinking of doing the engine swap. will PM you back thanks

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”