3sge turbo conversion

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Rustyfsa

3sge turbo conversion

Post by Rustyfsa »

Yes yes I know buy a turbo clip or a turbo car been reading that all over the place so no more comments the same lol.
Now that's out the way I want to see if my plans are feasible. I want a technical exercise fir my winter project along side my sills getting replaced.
I am thinking that 3sgte complete pistons, gte cams would be ok to get the compression right? Taking oil from the pressure switch then dump into sump should be ok?
I will be tigging my own manifold and inter pipes which shouldn't be a drama
Obviously I will need a piggyback or something better for management of boost and fuel.
I can't see why I can't do this? Getting the compression correct is the key surely,once that's right it's just plumbing and running.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: 3sge turbo conversion

Post by SonicSW20 »

Of course you *could* do it. It's just a waste of time when a 3SGTE is near enough a plug and play conversion. You'll end up spending just as much money anyway.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

You don't want more comments of the same? In that case I'll say absolutely do it. Yes of course it will work and you will get your car up and running and it will all be far far better than a regular turbo and cost far far less. Keep us updated. :)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Rustyfsa

Post by Rustyfsa »

Good effort ;)

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Rustyfsa wrote:Good effort ;)
...In sorting out your oil problems :cheeky:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Rustyfsa

Post by Rustyfsa »

A tee from the pressure switch shouldn't be an issue

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

This could work and yes, it is possible for sure.

However, the block is not the same between Turbo and N/A

This link is always a good one....
www.toyodiy.com

1995 N/A
11401 BLOCK SUB-ASSY, CYLINDER
11401-79665 1 € 2,243.35

1995 Turbo
11401 BLOCK SUB-ASSY, CYLINDER
11401-79675 1 $2,501.56

I can of course confirm there are physical differences too. The oilways within the N/A are smaller than the Turbo. Both are high nickel steel it that is any help? Personally, I wouldn't risk the heartache and headache when there is a known difference. Toyota did that for a reason. That's not to say it can't be done - I am just saying 'is it really worth the risk?'

Maybe buy a shabby rev2 turbo that's dying. Strip and sell unwanted parts, rebuild the engine and transplant. If you're gonna use turbo pistons anyway, then why not use the big blocky bit around it too?
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Or if you are wanting to do a big build, find a stronger 5S block and build on that!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Rustyfsa

Post by Rustyfsa »

Yeah I suppose buying a turbo block and building it up on the bench could be a good project. For some reason I have always wanted to convert an engine, i don't know where it's came from but I do like a tech challenge to keep me busy.
I will think a wee while then decide and what ever I decided there will be some sort of thread
Cheers guys

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Do a forged 1998+ 5S build then. 5SFE block (Camry motor), 3SGTE head. The 98+ block has a reinforced corner at the water pump - http://www.mr2oc.com/61-3sgte-turbo/395 ... 5sgte.html
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”