MK3 1.8 vvti upgrades

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
wozzy

MK3 1.8 vvti upgrades

Post by wozzy »

Hi
I am new to the forum.
I am considering purchasing a MK3 1.8, and wondered what you can do to the engine to increase BHP.
I looking at good useable power and would be grateful for any help, and are there any companies who provide the parts for this job
cheers
Lee

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: MK3 1.8 vvti upgrades

Post by oddshoes »

Apart from air filter, precat delete manifold and exhaust there isnt much to increase the power cheaply unless you look at supercharging, turbo charging or getting a 2zz engine rather than the 1zz. Thought a lightened flywheel is a good shout to change the power delivery on the 1zz

Dave
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

If you haven't driven a standard one yet why are you looking for upgrades ?
Toyota did a good job on the MK3 I had one for a while and loved it :)
But love my MK2 too much to keep the Roadster.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
wozzy

Post by wozzy »

MRHAPPY62 wrote:If you haven't driven a standard one yet why are you looking for upgrades ?
Toyota did a good job on the MK3 I had one for a while and loved it :)
But love my MK2 too much to keep the Roadster.
Hi
I am looking at using the car as a base for a kit car build, I want around the 200 BHP mark with LSD. The standard 130 ish BHP will not be enough for the rs200 conversion.

Topic author
wozzy

Post by wozzy »

oddshoes wrote:Apart from air filter, precat delete manifold and exhaust there isnt much to increase the power cheaply unless you look at supercharging, turbo charging or getting a 2zz engine rather than the 1zz. Thought a lightened flywheel is a good shout to change the power delivery on the 1zz

Dave
Hi
Is turbo on option as a bolt on mod? or will it need lots of other bits like ecu
And what is the 2zz putting out?

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

Turbo is bolt on but you need a manifold depending on the level of power you want the TTE kit was a 50 bhp increase with piggy back ecu. But you can go bigger injectors and intercooler and mapping etc, there are alot more people with more info on it than me. The 2zz was used in the 190 gen7 celica and with few mods should see you past 200.

The best thing for the mk3 is bracing improves the handling it all depends on the type of drive you want and like imo. Might be worth looking at Monkey Wrench Racing in America for ideas
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
wozzy

Post by wozzy »

oddshoes wrote:Turbo is bolt on but you need a manifold depending on the level of power you want the TTE kit was a 50 bhp increase with piggy back ecu. But you can go bigger injectors and intercooler and mapping etc, there are alot more people with more info on it than me. The 2zz was used in the 190 gen7 celica and with few mods should see you past 200.

The best thing for the mk3 is bracing improves the handling it all depends on the type of drive you want and like imo. Might be worth looking at Monkey Wrench Racing in America for ideas
Thanks,thats the kind of mod i was hoping for

Blueskinnedbeast
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Blueskinnedbeast »

There's a guy over on MR2ROC doing an RS200 conversion, maybe have a chat with him and see what he's doing.

Topic author
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Blueskinnedbeast wrote:There's a guy over on MR2ROC doing an RS200 conversion, maybe have a chat with him and see what he's doing.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=59673

I'm in 2 minds wether to go for the MRS200 conversion, but I'm going the turbo route. Cant have an RS200 rep without flames and wastegate chatter

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

I doubt you'll get 200hp out of a 2zz without Forced induction. Depending on manifold and how good the engine is they usually have around 165-185hp ish and they'll already have exhaust and filter
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
wozzy

Post by wozzy »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
Blueskinnedbeast wrote:There's a guy over on MR2ROC doing an RS200 conversion, maybe have a chat with him and see what he's doing.
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=59673

I'm in 2 minds wether to go for the MRS200 conversion, but I'm going the turbo route. Cant have an RS200 rep without flames and wastegate chatter
Now you're talking :D
I already have this that i have still got to finish building haha, it's only took 7 years :shocked:
Image[/url]/img]

Topic author
wozzy

Post by wozzy »

Cheers

Topic author
wozzy

Post by wozzy »

does the 2zzge drop straight in or do you have to modify anything? and do you use the 1zz ancillaries?

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

vinp182 wrote:I doubt you'll get 200hp out of a 2zz without Forced induction. Depending on manifold and how good the engine is they usually have around 165-185hp ish and they'll already have exhaust and filter
200bhp at the flywheel would be achievable in NA form. Not cheap though. 200whp however...
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”