Facelift MK3 2ZZ Conversion?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Kuneha

Facelift MK3 2ZZ Conversion?

Post by Kuneha »

Hello gentlemen.

A few questions if I may.

I have a 2004 MR2 which has the 6 speed box.

I am aware that there are a few parts needed for this engine to drop in but having the 6 speed box, does this mean I can scratch a few off the list? - I can use the current 6 speed that I have?

Suitable manifold for 2zz to 1zz exhaust system.

Custom right hand engine mount.

Custom oil dip stick or possible just slightly bend the 1zz one to fit.

2zz of course with a Celica ECU rather than Corolla as I understand it is more or less plug and play.

2zz engine loom.

Would I still need the custom 6 speed shaft selector?

Anything else I'm missing?

I'm going to start ordering parts soon.

Thanks.

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Facelift MK3 2ZZ Conversion?

Post by vinp182 »

The roadster 1zz box has different ratios to the 2zz so doesn’t work properly, you don’t get the best out of the engine making it a pointless conversion
You’ll need the roadster selector shaft to convert the celiac/Corolla box and the roadster LSD if you want one

You can get all swap parts from MWR in the states, although Patrick (username on here Headcase) sells the mounts and maf adaptor

You don’t need the dipstick

I did a full write up on here and I’m sure it’s a stickied post in the mk3 section. The pics are probably gone since photobucket ruined the interwebs but you should get all the info you need from the write up
Cars suck donkey balls

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Kuneha

Post by Kuneha »

Thanks, I was thinking of this as well. Having looked at the ratios between the C63 and C64 gearbox, I concur with everything you've said.

Is it possible to remove the open differential from the C64 and transplant the LSD from the C63? - I know a lot about gearboxes in theory but not much experience splitting them apart.

Thanks, I will study your write up. Regards.

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Yeah the LSD will swap right over
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Kuneha

Post by Kuneha »

I have now procured a 2001 Corolla T Sport.

What would I need to purchase to make this fit? - Would I need any gearbox items to buy or could I transfer everything from my current 6 speed to the 6 speed in the Corolla?

What do I do about the ECU? - I read somewhere that I should use a Celica ECU as it doesn't have an immobiliser. Does this mean I can still use my original keys?

Starting to feel out of my depth so as much information as possible would be appreciated.

Also, the Corolla seems to have a permanent high idle (2.1K RPM). I've cleaned the Throttle Body and IAC but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. When I unplug the IAC there is no change in RPM speed. IAC possibly dead?

The engine also has a but of caked on oil on the internals near the timing chain and various parts. Is this common for the 2ZZ or has this particular example been neglected? - Is it worth rebuilding? - There is no knocking or any kind.

I have done a few oil flushes and it seems to run okay expect a strange vibration at 2.5k rpm but it hits lift perfectly fine.

Any thoughts?

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

You should be able to just swap parts from your roadster box to the corolla box. You’ll have to drill and tap a thread in the corolla box for the roadster selector mechanism but that is self explanatory when you are at that point

You need an engine mount and exhaust manifold (unless you can make your own)

Early JDM Celica ecu is the best one to go for as it has no immobiliser (use your own key) and something else but I can’t quite remember. They are usually available from Monkey Wrench Racing

Have you checked for vac leaks?
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Kuneha

Post by Kuneha »

I've ordered a second hand IAC just in case but I will look for vacuum leaks after work. I will also source an early JDM Celica ECU as you have suggested.

Any more information is welcome but I will ask more questions as they come along.

Thanks!

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

I’ll try help as much as I can but it’s been a while since I last did a 2zz conversion

Where about are you in the world?
Cars suck donkey balls

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Patrick Chambers (headcase) does the engine mounts for the drivers side very cheap.
He can also do the manifolds too.

If you have a Corolla then you need to use the MR2 and Corolla ECU as the Corolla ECU won't drive the MR2 dash.

Give Patrick a call he'll happily advise / help out where possible. :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”