Japfest Aftermath

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Japfest Aftermath

Post by d-peg »

:laughing :laughing :laughing

If you don't mind VC.... I'll leave that one out!

I know how many of you are p155ed off about this shambles, the more that I have complaints to send in en masse the better chance we have of something being done. Improved stand location would be a plus!

So come on; get something on paper - even if you are recycling what's already been said.. get it down please :)

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

vanilla.coffee wrote:To whom it may concern,

I actually didn't go to Japfest this year but waited for ages on the phone yesterday trying to get through to the tax office to advise them of the PD11 value of my company car.
I believe the reason for this long wait is your fault because I reckon the people taking ages to answer the phone probably used to work for your mob.

Then to top it all off, I had to wait ages in a queue in Sainsburys because there was only one person on the checkout which I believe is a strategy Sainsburys have adopted from the Japfest organisation system.

I definitely won't be going to Sainsburys again and it's all your fault.

Regards.

Name an address supplied.
:laughing :laughing

Nice.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
vanilla.coffee wrote:To whom it may concern,

I actually didn't go to Japfest this year but waited for ages on the phone yesterday trying to get through to the tax office to advise them of the PD11 value of my company car.
I believe the reason for this long wait is your fault because I reckon the people taking ages to answer the phone probably used to work for your mob.

Then to top it all off, I had to wait ages in a queue in Sainsburys because there was only one person on the checkout which I believe is a strategy Sainsburys have adopted from the Japfest organisation system.

I definitely won't be going to Sainsburys again and it's all your fault.

Regards.

Name an address supplied.
:laughing :laughing

Nice.

HM
pmsl

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

Re this bit
d-peg wrote:

We also have several members who queued to get in, that after 2:30pm were turned away.
The reason for this being that it was a police decision on traffic managment/safety grounds.
If you want to know who was responsible for the dire standard of marshalling have a look at this .

The details of the directors of Castle Combe Circuit Ltd can be found here. According to this the chap whose name appears in the link above is the Company Secretary not the MD and SLS can't even spell his surname correctly!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

d-peg

Post by d-peg »

Dear Daniel,

Thankyou for your email outlining your concerns with regard to the Japfest traffic on the 12th May.

With more people arriving to purchase a ticket on the gate than ever before, the amount of event traffic increased and that meant that the gates and traffic systems were unable to cope. Due to this unforeseen traffic congestion the Police made the decision to close the roads at 3pm. This was something we had to take Police guidance on and we empathise with anyone that waited in a queue of traffic on the way into the event, and extend our sympathy to anyone who was turned away from the event at this stage.

Prior to the event we had extensive meetings with regard to traffic management both on site and off site with the local council, police and the venue on how to minimise disruption on the roads on the day. Traffic disruption is not something that Japfest likes and discussions have already taken place and plans are being initiated to prevent this happening again.

We are unable to make any refunds of tickets that were used for entry on the day. Anyone who was turned away and has a complete and unused ticket can fill in the attached form and send back to apply for a refund.

I have copied into this email Kevin Stoddart and Richard Hemmings who deal with Japfest club bookings to pass on your comments and these will most certainly be taken into account in the planning of next years event.

Kind Regards,

Japfest 2012
Total Copout! :th:

mr2extreme06

Post by mr2extreme06 »

def a total copout

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I'm sorry, but public times on the gate were from 9am - 5am stated on their website:

Show Opening Times:

Opens

Closes

Saturday 12th May 09:00 17:00 Under 14s free with accompanying adult

http://www.japfest.co.uk/visitor-information/

The club were stuck in a queue at 8am 4 Miles away, and in the queue I was in from Yatton Keynell at 8:30 was full of Jap Cars and hardly any others whatsoever, so why were these waiting to get into the ground?

That is one lame excuse IMHO.

The £4 brochure they were selling (which had lots of people around the ground) could have been made better use at the gates IMHO directing people to stands. And WHY TF did they send all the public in along at Gate C with the Quarry Corner car stands? That never happened before?

HM

d-peg

Japfest Aftermath

Post by d-peg »

I'll take this up with them Kiz... I am less than surprised by their response. There is no personal/club reference whatsoever - totally generic letter! Will be the same sent out to everybody and doing nothing to make me think it'll be better next year...

Such a shame..

Topic author
Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

d-peg wrote:I'll take this up with them Kiz... I am less than surprised by their response. There is no personal/club reference whatsoever - totally generic letter! Will be the same sent out to everybody and doing nothing to make me think it'll be better next year...

Such a shame..
Dan, they are falling back on the Police ruling of closing the roads at 3pm. Whilst that is out of their control, that is simply no excuse for people not getting in before hand. They are passing the buck and not accepting responsibility for mismanagement of the gates at earlier times when show stands were meant to be attending - Simples!

They f*&ked up big time, but are passing off the problems too the Police, which IMHO is not correct.

Flame and Thunder @ Santa Pod 2009 had 120,000 people, now that was rammed! Took me 3 hours to leave the Pod. Puts it into perspective as we all know the Pod can get busy but at least they do it better parking wise it seems per car ratio.

HM

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

Japfest 2012 response wrote: With more people arriving to purchase a ticket on the gate than ever before, the amount of event traffic increased and that meant that the gates and traffic systems were unable to cope. Due to this unforeseen traffic congestion the Police made the decision to close the roads at 3pm. This was something we had to take Police guidance on and we empathise with anyone that waited in a queue of traffic on the way into the event, and extend our sympathy to anyone who was turned away from the event at this stage.

Prior to the event we had extensive meetings with regard to traffic management both on site and off site with the local council, police and the venue on how to minimise disruption on the roads on the day. Traffic disruption is not something that Japfest likes and discussions have already taken place and plans are being initiated to prevent this happening again.
This event has been on the calendar for 10 years. All the parties involved mentioned above know the score, so it is ludicrous to claim that, having had extensive meetings, the traffic congestion was unforeseen. In fact, not merely ludicrous, it's total b*******. The organiser(s) of any major event will be required by the police to have a contingency plan in place.

According to the site I linked to Castle Combe Circuit sub-contracts stewarding and crowd control operations to SLS. If HM is correct in his assertion that the public were all being directed to Gate C then who made that decision? The company that owns the circuit or their hired help? However you slice and dice this, there has been a massive communications failure and the organisers of Japfest need to address this issue and come clean to the clubs about exactly who was responsible. The police decsion to restrict access after 3pm has got b***** all to do with what was happening well over an hour before the gates opened to the public at 9am. The exhibitors need to have confidence in the organisers who I don't think are showing them much respect with that anodyne response. Take away all the club stands and what are you left with? A much smaller event, which means reduced public interest and gate revenue, that's what.

I have been thinking about how things might be improved. At the Yeovilton Air Show it is part of the T&Cs that all exhibitors must be on site before 08.00. Turn up late and you are aware that you can be excluded because, being a military base, all vehicles have to be searched and that takes time (much longer than getting from entrance gate to stand at Japfest). I can't see any reason why a similar time restriction can't be applied here. The quid pro quo is that access needs to be far better controlled.

One thing they could do is ensure that traffic streams do not conflict. Exhibitors for Gate C should not be arriving from the Castle Combe village side. Nor should those for the other gates be in the queue from the Yatton Keynell direction. Both of these things happened this year. Also, it would help if clubs knew in advance exactly where their stand is. Each car should be required to display a club identifcation slip along with the entry pass (the club to be responsible for this slip).

All that is then needed is to have properly briefed stewards at the site entry to direct each car into the appropriate line. You wouldn't then have the problem of a log jam at the end of the funnel while people who have no idea where they are supposed to go have to be individually directed.

And breathe.....
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

PeteJ
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PeteJ »

The only way to get out of billy no mates corner is to book room for 10 cars in the name MR2 driverz or rename the cars as Skylines.

I Remember when we used to be in the small grass area between the Paddock and the Toilet block nearest to the paddock. Problem was the massive turnout we had. Victims of our own success as a great club.

Cobblers really

The reason why I chose not to attend this year occurred when I saw that we were going to be in the "censored" end of no where. (I'm famous for the last minute stand pass frenzy :blush: )

Look on the bright side.. The money I saved can be spend on a visit to the DTM at brands tomorrow :D
Porsche 987 Boxster S 3.4 flat 6. Dyno 298 bhp 260 lbft.
CLICKY FOR BIG PICCY!
CLICKY For MR2

Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

PeteJ wrote:The only way to get out of billy no mates corner is to book room for 10 cars in the name MR2 driverz or rename the cars as Skylines.

I Remember when we used to be in the small grass area between the Paddock and the Toilet block nearest to the paddock. Problem was the massive turnout we had. Victims of our own success as a great club.

Cobblers really

The reason why I chose not to attend this year occurred when I saw that we were going to be in the "censored" end of no where. (I'm famous for the last minute stand pass frenzy :blush: )

Look on the bright side.. The money I saved can be spend on a visit to the DTM at brands tomorrow :D
Exactly, 05 we were nearly in the paddock, 06 we were on the straight, from then on down on that crap corner.

IMO they have their prioreties all wrong. This should be more about the proper car clubs. Why are the ''cruzer'' chav clubs so close?

Dont think I will go again.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Japfest Archive”