The last few notable mentions..

8-11 September 2016 - Newark Showground
General Information, tickets, camping & hotels, events & activities

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

The last few notable mentions..

Post by d-peg »

This year has been extremely hectic for me and most of the JAE Planning team (it probably showed when we came to hook up some music & video! :blush: ) ... I've never had a working year like it before, barely any time to catch breath or sit down for 5 minutes. Even leading up to JAE, on the Monday/Tuesday I had a work trip that took me from my home in Sandwich, to Plymouth, up to Manchester then back home again. It is no wonder I passed out asleep by 10:30 on the Thursday! :laughing

Had to pass on a big thanks to John Fuggles for organising our power hook-up AFTER the shop had shut, then another thanks to the furniture guy. Thankfully, it's all business to them, but even so, I would hate folk doing it to me it is only fair to offer up a bit of thanks to them. :th:

I had some of the gloss knocked off JAE this year for me; the first time I've attended in a non-MR2 car. Kinda had to as I was picking up the marquee from Chris and 250kg of kit doesn't fit in an MR2. So trusty Bertha (the BMW) the big fat sl*g lugged the gear, but even so, didn't feel right attending in the Beemer.

One thing that shines through Thursday's now is how as a club, everybody mucks in and wants to help. We had that marquee up in no time (probably helped by having the diagram this year - yet another :blush: by me). MR2OC had landed at JAE again.

The show itself was notably quiet, not just our stand but every stand; some big clubs missing. Maybe it was the weather that put people off, maybe the ticket price - but that is not for here.

Friday night was the usual epic MR2BQ eve and general larking around. Drinking, laughing, more drinking and then ..... Cards Against Humanity.... Not just any CaH but Cori's 'Bigger Blacker Box' ..This is where you find out at what level some peoples' humour is prepared to go to score a point! Certainly an interesting evening. :rofl:

Then it all went 'orrible.. Rain. Lots of it. :sad:
Saturday was all but lost to rotten weather, a solid 12 hours of the wet stuff. Poor 'pump-boy' had to sponge out his tent. We had little to do aside chew the fat and wait for it to pass. In one brief interlude to the wet stuff, Lewis trekked off to have a look round - didn't make it off the stand! :laughing .. It also put pay to the MR2OC speciality - pulling together for the IKO. This was all delayed until the rain stopped. :no:

Eventually it passed around 3pm and the IKO kicked off (with the mornings missed activities to be run on Sunday). A new-ish club from north of the border (Chasing 7) have some big lads to take on!! Justin, our 5-time champ, lost the IKO car-pull by 0.3secs!!! These guys are a team to contend with. Reece made a valiant effort on IKO endurance but was beaten by some margin by a Chasing 7 guy who clearly eats a lot of red meat... probably on his porridge... after eating an Elk ... raw! :laughing . They'd also won the hot wings and pub quiz the night before - so absolutely deserved winners of 2016 IKO. :th:

By Saturday night I was left thinking... "Maybe it's time for me to take a break from JAE..?" ... To be brutally honest, I felt a little sad about it all.

Sunday is a new day, the sun is shining and we have a few bits of IKO to tackle (points added to 2017), but still feeling a little melancholic .. Gaz rounds everyone up for ToW with the relay and sack race also to run. Something changed that morning, IKO became what it should be ... FUN. Having a laugh and joke with the other clubs that bothered to turn up (Chasing 7, Jap 4x4 and (i think) Team Fuji) ... Importantly, no boo-ing. I'm a pretty thick-skinned person but that has got to me over the past couple of years - despite all my usual bravado and playing up to it.. Sunday was a thoroughly enjoyable morning. We lost every heat of the sack race we entered, we lost the relay too but was all just a good laugh. :D

ToW ... That's serious of course! :laughing

Gaz led us once again to the openweight title, but through a couple of the toughest pulls we've ever had. Next year will be interesting. (that's right .. next year we are there :) )

I suppose it was probably partly not having a '2' .. partly the abhorrent weather, partly some well-knowns missing but also partly not having that IKO inter-action that put me in a bad frame of mind. No two ways about it, this was far from the best JAE I've attended but still love it - right, wrong or indifferent.

So the final thank you to all who attended, stuck out the weather and made the best of the bad situations! You're all tops :cheers: :grouphug:

EDIT ...
V V Guess it wasn't a party then!! V V

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: The last few notable mentions..

Post by dawesy »

Well put Dan. It's amazing how this club pulls together.
First time I've played cards against humanity but what a laugh it was [emoji23][emoji23] Sunday was a turning point really. IKO felt a lot better and it was a privilege to be part of the team.
Here's to next year. If you guys ever need a hand with organising or just bringing stuff let me know if be glad to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

:th:

There have been better JAE's certainly.
Saying that I bet our new attendees felt at home not on the outside like so many clubs can be like.
Sunday was certainly a turning point as it turned up the fun factor, even pulling the Marque with Gazza's music in the background (well maybe not quite in the background :rofl: ), was pretty good fun with a few laughs along the way.

All in all only a few issues that could put people off attending again, weather as an example. ;

Best part is meeting up and having chats with all you guys and gals who I get to see only on these occasions etc.
So long may it continue in one form or another.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Car did well playing the tunes all morning... Kept it chill with some laid back electronica and then some indie and a bit of old school cool thrown in. Amp was getting a bit too warm though so had to let it cool down a bit after a few hours at that volume. Did well on Thursday night as well! No reason I couldn't connect up an aux cable next year to attach laptops etc if required :th: may bring a spare battery though just in case :laughing
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

cori.louise
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by cori.louise »

Well said Dan. I have only been at JAE with the OC for 3 years but it certainly was different. Im gutted I wasn't around sunday for ToW, but Harry is starting to settle into being a London dog well... he will be with us the whole weekend next year :th:

Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

Well said Dan. I was in a bad frame of mind about this years JAE. If it hadn't of been wet on Saturday I would probably have left.

I'm glad I didn't, Sunday was a complete 180 turn. Happy people, having a laugh, mucking in together, chill out tunes.

I felt as though I wish we had Sunday night to party as I think it would have been brilliant.

So, see you all at JAE 2017, as long as I'm in the country. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

So what is this all about then, if anything like the old school BMX scene, then a load of like minded peeps talking bollox and having a drink or two and camping out for the weekend, close?

Whereabouts was it?

Bru :th:

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Exactly that! But with a few inter club competitions thrown in to,.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Its at Newark showground

MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

Tallboy wrote:Exactly that! But with a few inter club competitions thrown in to,.

Sounds like a diary date for next year then :cool1:

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

MR2BRU wrote:
Tallboy wrote:Exactly that! But with a few inter club competitions thrown in to,.

Sounds like a diary date for next year then :cool1:

keep your eyes open for this type of thread next year
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/357/165026.html
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

Will do cheers Pete..

Tinker2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Tinker2 »

d-peg wrote: Importantly, no boo-ing. I'm a pretty thick-skinned person but that has got to me over the past couple of years - despite all my usual bravado and playing up to it..
I'm glad the club didn't get boo'd this year Dan, I met Nigel at Simply Japaneese in July and had a chat to him about JAE. I said about how sad myself and Rachel felt last year about being boo'd at the presentations and the nasty faces and comments from the people on the table next to us. I vowed I wouldn't do the IKO again after that.......

Nigel said that he was really sorry, he thought it was being done and being taken in jest and that he hadn't realised it was quite that bad and would try to do something about it. I'm not sure if he spread the word but the fact we didn't get boo'd seems like maybe he did :th:
1990 Rev1 GLimited T-Bar Black = Gone but not forgotten
1998 Rev5 N/A Cosmos Blue = Sold
1995 Rev3 GT-S T-Bar Goodwood Green =

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

There were times when we were still boo'd (fancy dress for one)... But certainly not on the Sunday that's for sure.
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “JAE - 2016”