Don't eat me I'm new.

Welcome to the club, come and say hello

Topic author
pammy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Don't eat me I'm new.

Post by pammy » 11/07/19 15:44

Hi Everyone,
I'm Pam I am interested in buying a mark 2 possibly next year I am a total novice I don't know any thing about them I just know that I like what I see and I want one, life is far too short to not just go out and get what you want, I am in Kent so if there is a group in Kent can someone please let me know and any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Pam

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Don't eat me I'm new.

Post by vinp182 » 11/07/19 18:12

Welcome to the OC. There’s a few in Kent I’m sure one of them will be along soon
Cars suck donkey balls

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 12

Post by andyroo » 11/07/19 20:26

Hi and welcome to the OC, there are quite a few members down in Kent, there is a regular Kent run and a few meet ups now and again.
Toyota gt86
Mr2 mk2 NA modified body

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 » 11/07/19 20:43

Welcome to the Club :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I travel from West sussex to Kent for the runs because nothing happens in Sussex ,and the Kent members are great. :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog » 12/07/19 1:47

Welcome to the asylum OC :mrgreen:
pammy wrote:
11/07/19 15:44
I am in Kent
Likewise. Are you in the North, South, East, or West?

Top tip.
The youngest Mk2 will be 20 years old: the oldest pushing 30.
As with any car of that age, rust will be the killer.
If you do decide to take the plunge, condition is far more important than mileage.

There is plenty of information out there.
Your homework assignment for the weekend. :)
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html
Anything you don't understand just ask. Someone will be along to help.

There are good examples still to be found.
It can be down to luck (right place, right time) but mostly it's a waiting game.

Don't let anyone spoil your dream!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 » 12/07/19 8:12

Hi and welcome to the OC, there are some good ones out there and some very bad ones. take your time and good hunting.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

SonicSW20
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by SonicSW20 » 12/07/19 10:32

Absolutely unreal, there's no place for such sexist bullshit here. Its attitudes like that which push women away from car clubs and automotive based professions. I suggest just removing that post Carl. Shame a mod or admin hasn't been through and removed it already frankly.

Welcome to the club Pam, we have monthly meets across the river in Essex, and do a few national shows every year too.

As Tony says, the big issue is finding one without corrosion and keeping it that way as a regularly used car in all weather. The NA model with the 3SGE is very solid mechanically. Keep on top of the servicing and use decent quality oils and service components, it'll treat you well. I used to use mine as a daily (25,000 miles a year or so on average) for nearly 4 years (it's not used daily anymore), and in that time it was very reliable for an older car. The unreliability started after the turbo conversion :laughing

Are you planning on using it as an everyday car or as something to enjoy on weekends / summer evenings?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
pammy

Post by pammy » 12/07/19 10:36

TonyleFrog wrote:
12/07/19 1:47
Welcome to the asylum OC :mrgreen:
pammy wrote:
11/07/19 15:44
I am in Kent
Likewise. Are you in the North, South, East, or West?
Hi Tony, I am originally from Whitstable, but live in Ashford at the moment.

Top tip.
The youngest Mk2 will be 20 years old: the oldest pushing 30.
As with any car of that age, rust will be the killer.
If you do decide to take the plunge, condition is far more important than mileage.
Yes Agree.

There is plenty of information out there.
Your homework assignment for the weekend. :)
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html
Anything you don't understand just ask. Someone will be along to help.
Thanks Tony.

There are good examples still to be found.
It can be down to luck (right place, right time) but mostly it's a waiting game.
I can wait.
Don't let anyone spoil your dream!
Hell no :laughing

Topic author
pammy

Post by pammy » 12/07/19 10:37

peteV6R5 wrote:
12/07/19 8:12
Hi and welcome to the OC, there are some good ones out there and some very bad ones. take your time and good hunting.
Thanks I will

Topic author
pammy

Post by pammy » 12/07/19 10:49

SonicSW20 wrote:
12/07/19 10:32
Absolutely unreal, there's no place for such sexist bullshit here. Its attitudes like that which push women away from car clubs and automotive based professions.

It is fine honestly, I have been part of one car club or another since my early 20's even ending up as the vice chairman/woman then for a short time chair of the local landrover club, and currently member of the MG club locally.I love it.

I suggest just removing that post Carl. Shame a mod or admin hasn't been through and removed it already frankly.

Welcome to the club Pam, we have monthly meets across the river in Essex, and do a few national shows every year too.

Thanks.

As Tony says, the big issue is finding one without corrosion and keeping it that way as a regularly used car in all weather. The NA model with the 3SGE is very solid mechanically. Keep on top of the servicing and use decent quality oils and service components, it'll treat you well. I used to use mine as a daily (25,000 miles a year or so on average) for nearly 4 years (it's not used daily anymore), and in that time it was very reliable for an older car. The unreliability started after the turbo conversion :laughing

Are you planning on using it as an everyday car or as something to enjoy on weekends / summer evenings?
No she will be weekends.

Topic author
pammy

Don't eat me I'm new. cleaned

Post by pammy » 12/07/19 11:23

pammy wrote:
12/07/19 11:22
pammy wrote:
12/07/19 10:49
SonicSW20 wrote:
12/07/19 10:32
Absolutely unreal, there's no place for such sexist bullshit here. Its attitudes like that which push women away from car clubs and automotive based professions.

It is fine honestly, I have been part of one car club or another since my early 20's even ending up as the vice chairman/woman then for a short time chair of the local landrover club, and currently member of the MG club locally.

I suggest just removing that post Carl. Shame a mod or admin hasn't been through and removed it already frankly.

Thanks.

No she will be weekends.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi » 12/07/19 11:55

If I remove his post then I have to edit all the following posts otherwise the thread will make no sense. IMO better to leave it, the responses speak volumes as to what the club thinks about it.
Any other posts in the same vein will be removed.
He's quite welcome to (and should in my opinion) post an apology.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

nick

Post by nick » 12/07/19 13:36

My wife has run one very happily for 15 years without problem. The car is relatively straightforward mechanically, most mechanics and service stations can work on them. Most parts are shared with other Toyota,s so no reason why you should not run one.

You do need to get the body checked carefully by someone competent. Rust is the killer.

Topic author
pammy

Post by pammy » 12/07/19 16:08

nick wrote:
12/07/19 13:36
My wife has run one very happily for 15 years without problem. The car is relatively straightforward mechanically, most mechanics and service stations can work on them. Most parts are shared with other Toyota,s so no reason why you should not run one.

That's what I thought.

You do need to get the body checked carefully by someone competent. Rust is the killer.
I do have a friend who does this I trust him I have seen his work before.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”