Looking for MK3 advice!

Welcome to the club, come and say hello

Topic author
Firedawg333

Looking for MK3 advice!

Post by Firedawg333 »

Hi all, I've been tasked with finding a good MK3 for no.3 son. No.2 had a 2000 Celica which suffered the same fate as some of these do with the oil ring sticking and ultimately he was doing 2 litres of oil a week! Only upside was it didn't have the precat so the car did keep going for awhile. My question is is there any way of telling when the last piston revision was on the later cars? I know it was around 55/06 plate but I'm looking at a couple of late ones tomorrow and be nice to know if they have the better pistons. I know there was a revision with the facelift in 52/03 which helped a bit too. Any help wouy be much appreciated! Cheers, Mark.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Looking for MK3 advice!

Post by jimi »

The date I've see quoted for the last piston/ring revision is 2005/05. From what I've read engines that have. been serviced strictly in accordance with the service schedule time/mileage recommendations stand the best chance of being good, irrespective of their production dates
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Firedawg333

Post by Firedawg333 »

Thanks for reply! Was enroute to view one today which the guy had sorned cause he'd retired and was not using. Thankfully only got 15 mins into a 2 hour journey and he called to say he'd tried to start the car but the immobilizer would not let the car start for some reason? As he'd scorned the car for awhile I wondered if the battery going flat could cause this or is there any immobilizer problem I've missed? Thanks, Mark

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

My advice is don't buy one.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Answers: 1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17

Post by jimi »

:rolleyes:
That's useful Carl, I think we got the message that you don't like MK3's or probably MK1's .... most likely anything that isn't a Subaru :laughing
Have you even driven a MK3 ?

I'm not aware of any common problem with the MK3 immobiliser, it's possible it could be something to do with a flat battery or possibly to do with old fuel if it's sat for a long period.
Might still be worth looking at, non starting could be used to negotiate a lower price ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

carolineasb
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by carolineasb »

I think there's a file on the UK MR2 Roadster FB Page that has the engine number that they think was the engine with the last update. I can't be sure as I'm not on that page anymore. Dick Sloan of MR2 Roadster Recycling is one to ask as he has a great knowledge of the Mk3. Sadly, even some 06 reg, for some unknown reason, don't have the last update apparently. My understanding is that it was around 55/06 reg that it changed but can't go by that as some older cars were registered with a newer reg. When our 1ZZ gave up, we got an 06 engine from Dick and luckily it was one of the ones that we believe to be the last.

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 0

Post by ayresyboy »

Matt Lee, formerly of Silverstone Performance, may rebuild a 1ZZ for you with the updated parts. Andy
1992 Mk2 1MZFE Automatic Black...SORN
1996 Mk2 3SGE Black...SORN
1998 Mk2 3SGTE Cosmos...SORN
1999 Mk3 2GRFE Blue
2001 Toyota Regius Campervan

Return to “Introduce Yourself”