Front suspension damper retaining nut

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
GaryB

Front suspension damper retaining nut

Post by GaryB »

I'm struggling to undo the large octagonal 'nut' that holds the suspension damper in the strut. It's about 50mm across flats (digital caliper measures 50.8mm). I've tried heating with a blowtorch but no joy and I stopped before it got too hot as I was concerned about the damper being pressurised. An adjustable spanner is useless as it only bears on two of the 8 sides and using a pipe wrench (Stilsons) just chews up the edges which is not good as I expect finding a new nut(s) would be next to impossible.

There's a Toyota SST shown in the BGB (photo attached) but I doubt anyone has one of those?
Anyone out there know of a tool I can buy that will do the job without chewing up the nut?
IMG_6256.JPG
SST - Suspension Strut Nut.jpeg
Any help appreciated.
GaryB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Front suspension damper retaining nut

Post by jimi »

Not all the struts are rebuildable, but I don't know if the non rebuildable ones have the hex.

Have you tried gripping the hex in the vice and rotating the housing ? That way you can grip two flats of the hex with less chance of damage.

If you have a welder it wouldn't be difficult to make copy of the sst with a bit of plate and strips of flat bar welded on to make up the hex.
Somewhere I have a copy of a pictorial article on dismantling the struts, I'll track it down and upload it to Know Your 2 ASAP.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Thanks Jimi

I didn't realise some were non rebuildable, I assumed they were all the same.
If it is that type then I'll need to re-think it. I want to keep it as original as possible so not interested in fitting racing style struts/coilovers.

I did try the vice method but had no joy with that either.
Good idea about welding up strips of flat bar, I have a welder so that's a good option.

Gary

nick

Post by nick »

Had the same problem on a Lotus. Replacement struts I think

Topic author
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

So if I do need replacement struts, any recommendations seeing that I want to keep it as stock as possible?

Lots of used ones from the breakers but they're likely to be as bad or worse than mine.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Try giving TCB a call, see what they have

MGBENG
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by MGBENG »

Hello Gary, do you know if this nut is the same one as on the MkIIs? Seems like they're both a 50mm (flat to flat) octagonal nut.

I had a similar issue to you but with my MkII. I ended up designing a tool and had it lasered/welded up at work which ended up doing the trick (but involved a lot of heat, hammering and swearing!).

However, during my research I did find this tool... for a 240Z. I can't confirm it works as I haven't used it, but it looks right (you'd have to order it from the states).

https://zcardepot.com/products/strut-gl ... -260z-280z

Maybe this helps?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

If it is 50mm, then given the forces being applied I wouldn't rely on an open ended spanner not to slip and round the hex ;)
Better with what I know as a flogging spanner, not that cheap but available on Amazon UK ;) and you can beat the living sh*t out of it :)

Topic author
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

MGBENG wrote: 11/08/21 22:31 Hello Gary, do you know if this nut is the same one as on the MkIIs? Seems like they're both a 50mm (flat to flat) octagonal nut.

I had a similar issue to you but with my MkII. I ended up designing a tool and had it lasered/welded up at work which ended up doing the trick (but involved a lot of heat, hammering and swearing!).

However, during my research I did find this tool... for a 240Z. I can't confirm it works as I haven't used it, but it looks right (you'd have to order it from the states).

https://zcardepot.com/products/strut-gl ... -260z-280z

Maybe this helps?
Thanks MGBENG

I don't know if it is the same as the MKII but that tool looks like an option.
And I'm good at hammering and swearing so could be something to look forward to :laughing

Gary

Topic author
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

jimi wrote: 12/08/21 0:25 If it is 50mm, then given the forces being applied I wouldn't rely on an open ended spanner not to slip and round the hex ;)
Better with what I know as a flogging spanner, not that cheap but available on Amazon UK ;) and you can beat the living sh*t out of it :)

Hi Jimi

Thanks for finding that tool, it looks like a good option but will a 50mm bi-hex shape fit on an 50mm (AF) octagon? I'll need to do some maths or draw it out in CAD. If it does then it's definitely worth a punt at that price.

Gary

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

:blush: :blush: forgot the strut was an octagon :blush: probably easier to make one from flat bar, a square with the corners filled would work.
I found the article on rebuilding struts, I'll try and get it in KY2 today.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Done LINKY

Topic author
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Thanks Jimi

Might have another go at the 'nut in vice' method and try a bit more heat!
Dr Hess wasn't wrong when he said it's "probably the hardest part of the whole procedure".

Topic author
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Success!
I made a tool from a piece of flat bar with 8 edge pieces welded on. I used a 3D printed former to get the edge pieces accurately aligned then clamped and welded them in place. My welding isn't pretty but the tool worked a treat and with a bit of hammering with a copper hammer, the nut was freed.
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 16.25.59.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 16.26.24.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 16.27.12.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 16.30.11.png
It appears to be a type of sealed unit as there was an escape of pressurised gas when I loosened the nut and there is fluid inside the strut tube. What I don't know is whether replacement damper inserts can be fitted into this type of strut. Some of the YouTube MK1 videos I've seen do look like new dampers have been fitted but it's not totally clear whether the struts are the same as mine.

The journey continues........

GaryB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”