steering wheel shake at 60mph.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Tom17

Post by Tom17 »

Hi

New to here and also to MR2 ownership. I recently bought a 1989 Mk1 having been thinking about it for the last few years and decided to have a go.

On the test drive it had a slight shake on the steering wheel at 60mph which went at about 70mph. I got a bit of money off for that and with no other mechanical problems decided to buy it. Just looking into what the probelm is now.

It has had 4 new tyres about 3000 miles ago(although that was 3 years!) and all the weights appear on them. There does not appear to be any play in the bushes although they don't look new, however there is a small amount of play in the steering rack both ends. This is only noticeable when the car is jacked up and force is applied to the road wheel. There does not appear to be much play at when the steering wheel is turned.

Can the rack arms be replaced or will this need to be a new rack? It doesn't look that difficult to do as there appears reasonable access.

The brakes look old, although appear to be wearing evenly. I may replace these anyway as they need it soon.

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what else this may be, before I decide to go and spend a bit of cash on new bits and pieces!

Oh and i'm also after a good cover for it, anybody have any ideas/reccommendations?

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Re: steering wheel shake at 60mph.

Post by topgun »

First thing to check is to make sure the wheels have been balanced properly. :th:

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

+1 i had this i assumed all was ok as the garage putting on the new tyres had put shiny new weights on......

But they had not cleaned the surface properly and they were lifting off at speed

I was thinking ball joints etc, and thats all it was balance weights, i did replace the track rod ends as they had paly in them but as i say once wheels rebalanced all hunk dory
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Check the brakes arent binding, doesnt have to be enough for them to overheat. Just jack up and spin the wheels by hand see how easily they rotate.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Tom17

Post by Tom17 »

Thanks, i'll check the double check the wheel's first. I don't think it's the brakes as both spin no problem.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

only 3000 miles but 3 years means that it has been sat for long periods.
This may have caused a bit of a flat spot in the tyre and that would manifest itsself like an unbalanced tyre. Especially if the tyre had lost some air before being put up for sale.

Wheel shake at 50-60 is 90% caused by unbalnaced wheel / tyre. Get them checked 1st before spending to much on anything esle.
Take it the 2 has standard wheels on it that fit properly - if none standard check that they have spoggot rings in place to marry up the wheel bore to the hub diameter. missing these on after market wheels also gives you wheel shake / wobble. If standard wheels disreguard the above.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
chefey

Post by chefey »

peteV6R5 wrote:only 3000 miles but 3 years means that it has been sat for long periods.
This may have caused a bit of a flat spot in the tyre and that would manifest itsself like an unbalanced tyre. Especially if the tyre had lost some air before being put up for sale.

Wheel shake at 50-60 is 90% caused by unbalnaced wheel / tyre. Get them checked 1st before spending to much on anything esle.
Take it the 2 has standard wheels on it that fit properly - if none standard check that they have spoggot rings in place to marry up the wheel bore to the hub diameter. missing these on after market wheels also gives you wheel shake / wobble. If standard wheels disreguard the above.
+1

PaulNowak
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by PaulNowak »

Do what I do, accelerate until it goes away,

Sorry, couldn't resist

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

PaulNowak wrote:Do what I do, accelerate until it goes away,

Sorry, couldn't resist
:th:
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Topic author
Tom17

Post by Tom17 »

I do that too, it's just a bit disconcerting when going through the 60 barrier! I'll look at getting the wheels done. I've taken it off the road for a little while as there a few other little bits I want to do to it first. Hopeully it will be the wheels/tyres and it will be sorted.

Topic author
dump hiss

Post by dump hiss »

PaulNowak wrote:Do what I do, accelerate until it goes away,

Sorry, couldn't resist
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing
Paul that is so like you to say summut like that. Or did you just fall asleep and not notice the shake? :laughing :laughing Did you just txt ?

PaulNowak
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by PaulNowak »

Yes I did

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”