MK1 No Fuel Coming Through

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Re: MK1 No Fuel Coming Through

Post by PaulWoods »

What happens when you just run power directly to the blue wire on the pump but no wire going to the W/B wire? In other words leaving the W/B connected as it would be but joining power onto the blue wire... does it still run?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Your thinking bad earth Paul ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Post by PaulWoods »

Indeed Jimi, the fuel pump is earthed between the rear lights on the back panel, could have been disturbed maybe?

It's hard to diagnose this just going off the information gathered, it could be COR related too, i'd also bet one or more injectors are clogged after a 3 year lay-up.

Topic author
cabbydave

Post by cabbydave »

Has your car got an immobiliser on it?

Topic author
L159333

Post by L159333 »

Hi James - I wondered if you ever got to the bottom of this problem? Because mine seems to have developed precisely the same symptoms, both the fuel gauge and fuel seem to have stopped working at the same time and now it's a non starter.

I'd appreciate any update that you can provide.

Thanks - Andy

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Have you tried the test outlined earlier in the thread to try and pin down the fault?

Topic author
L159333

Post by L159333 »

Do you mean this test?

"Switch the ignition on (do not try to start the engine)
Use a wire link to short terminals +B and FP on the check connector while watching the fitting you slackened, you should see fuel spraying out (have rag in position to catch it)
If there is no fuel then either your pump has failed or there's not enough fuel in the tank"

If so, then not precisely so I shall do that. I had shorted +B and FP and listened for any sound from the fuel filter area but heard nothing, so was not hopeful. I'll release that clip and see if there is any fuel flow.

Thanks.

Topic author
L159333

Post by L159333 »

To update this thread in case others with the same problem find their way here.

I replaced the fuel pump and also reconditioned the fuel level sender, put everything back together and it all works! Pump and gauge are working as they're supposed to. I don't know if both items had actually packed up, but the pump was certainly seized up. The sender may have been fine, I simply cleaned it up and left it in a bath of Deox-C for a day, then tested it's resistance through the it's swing range - seemed ok but a little erratic at what would be low levels. I bench tested the pump in the tank but off the car prior to refit to be sure.

http://youtu.be/Ot79hU2mTsc

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

:th: Excellent, glad to hear you got it sorted :cool1:

RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Hi all, I have a similar problem with mine, no pump whine when ignition turned on and engine wont start. I havn't done Jimi's test but I am pretty confident that its the pump (car has been sat for at least 6 years). Looking on eBay for a part and I came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-FUEL ... xyLN9SgrHC

Obviously being a universal part, there may need to be some modification?, but my question is, is it worth getting an old OEM part (which incidentally is more expensive) which may or may not have much life left in it, or buy a universal pump which has a 2 year warranty? Would there be much modification required? I'm assuming pumps are generally pretty basic and similar in nature so guessing that it would work fine, but I just wanted to get some advice before I went ahead with it.

Thanks

EDIT: Engine was running on start up fluid (only when testing the engine) and runs fine, but wont start on its own.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

RichieBUK wrote: Hi all, I have a similar problem with mine, no pump whine when ignition turned on and engine wont start. I havn't done Jimi's test but I am pretty confident that its the pump (car has been sat for at least 6 years).............................................................
I'm assuming pumps are generally pretty basic and similar in nature so guessing that it would work fine, but I just wanted to get some advice before I went ahead with it.
Assumption is the mother of all "censored"-ups and guessing isn't any better. Why guess when a few simple tests will prove what is wrong ?
I have no experience with aftermarket fuel pumps on a MK1, but my first question would be can it deliver the required flow rate and pressure ? the pump you have linked to looks like its an inline pump whereas the MK1 has a submerged pump in the fuel tank.
So your choice is between a cheap ebay pump of unknown quality that will need a fair amount of modification to fit (and may or may not deliver the required flow and pressure) or Mr T's pump which is a straight replacement and proven to last a very long time ........ the choice is yours but I'd go Mr T every time ;)

RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Success! After a few busy weeks at work I thought I'd have a look this bank holiday and see if we can't get her running.

First things first, I thought I'd try Jimi's troubleshooting to see if we could confirm a faulty fuel pump, So, unplugged the hose, checked all the wires had been reconnected (I had already taken apart the centre console in preperation) and placed a jumper cable across the 2 terminals on the diagnostics port. At first... nothing. Checked and clean the port again (it was a bit gunky), tried again... a little burble?... then voila! A stream of fuel shot from the pipe! A huge relief as I wasn't looking forward to dropping the fuel tank out :shocked:

Reconnected all the piping, put booster pack across battery and started her up. Started first time no problem. Now we have an issue with the idle, I had a similar problem on my old Hyundai Coupe, once running the revs stayed around 2000 rpm (which I was expecting as I have heard that a lot of 2's tend to run around 2k when the engine was cold. Shortly after the revs started dipping and bobbing. It was very regular and would drop to around 1500 and up to around 2500. On my Hyundai it was a faulty Idle Control Valve, which just needed adjusting. As I have no experience with this car, I thought it wise to come here first. I will post a video shortly of the problem and hopefully I can get some advice and have a go at it tomorrow :D

Thanks in advance!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Could be a couple of things either air in the cooling system or a vacuum leak allowing air into the intake system.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/40/55907.html

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/40/156452.html?

andyh1964
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 0

Post by andyh1964 »

Yep it seems we have a similar problem with fuel pump/ fuel tank sender unit, I was making plans to remove the fuel tank in order to replace the fuel pump, however I'll put off doing that after rereading this thread and allowing the words time to get through my thick Yorkshire skull!!. I'm going retry the tests Jimi has suggested, I'll report back once i know more.
Btw this particular mk1 has been laid up for at least 10 years!!
Cheers

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”