MK1 No Fuel Coming Through

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

andyh1964
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 0

Re: MK1 No Fuel Coming Through

Post by andyh1964 »

No joy with the diagnostic port, connected wires from the connector on the fuel pump correct polarity no noises or any sign of life, reversed the polarity, the pump made a single clunk, swapped the polarity back to how it should be and the same clunk again, no fuel coming through so I swapped polarity a few times and eventually fuel came through.
Next i reconnected the the plug on the fuel pump and no fuel coming through, thoroughly cleaned the earth between the rear lights, still nothing, reverted to connecting to the fuel pump directly and yes you've guessed it no fuel, but the wires were getting hot suggesting a short circuit.
Looks like the tank is going to have come out.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Don't think you have any choice, sounds like the pump is gummed up or full of crap. Once it out you may be able to free it of but I wouldn't bank on it.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

andyh1964

Post by andyh1964 »

I would rather replace the pump with a new one, I only plan on taking the tank out once.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

That would seem sensible, tank may need a clean out inside as well, also consider changing the fuel filter in the engine bay.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

andyh1964

Post by andyh1964 »

Thanks for the tips jimi, the fuel filter in the engine bay looks like it's seen better days, now there's a thought I might try that first, nothing to lose really.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”